Interesting read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carey

Guru
Vessel Name
Happy Destiny
Vessel Make
Custom Lobster Yacht
For all you Gulf Coasters, I have a book to recommend. I am reading it now. "Bayou Farewell:The Rich Life, and Tragic Death of Louisiana's Cajun Coast" by Mike Tidwell.It was written back in 2003, prior to Katrina/Rita, and the BP spill. I had heard of the erosion of the Mississippi delta, but this book really brings it home. Beyond that, it is a wonderful glimpse into the Cajun people. Knowing quite a few myself, and the areas mentioned in the book, I have found it to be right on the money, and a lot of fun.

Thanks for the heads up Carey, I will give it a go. My mom's side is all from that part of the world. Sure spoiled a lot of things for me....like gumbo. You cannot find decent gumbo outside of Southern Louisiana. Most concoctions aren't even close. They sure do try around here but rarely do they hit it. Anyway, I have an uncle that is the gumbo master of our family. He is around 80 and has been fighting health issues for 20 years(he smoked Winston reds his entire life). My wife and I are trying to get over there(Broussard,La.) and spend a weekend under his tutelage. I realize gumbo is an art form honed over one's entire life. But it would be a start....anyway, blah blah blah!!! I love the Cajun Country.

I brought that book "Bayou Farewell" (a Chrismas present from my Mom) to the boat a few days ago I'll be reading on this upcoming trip. The area has changed a lot some good some for the worse but is still a great place to live or visit.
Ya'll come on down.
Steve W

Baker wrote:

Thanks for the heads up Carey, I will give it a go. My mom's side is all from that part of the world. Sure spoiled a lot of things for me....like gumbo. You cannot find decent gumbo outside of Southern Louisiana. Most concoctions aren't even close. They sure do try around here but rarely do they hit it. Anyway, I have an uncle that is the gumbo master of our family. He is around 80 and has been fighting health issues for 20 years(he smoked Winston reds his entire life). My wife and I are trying to get over there(Broussard,La.) and spend a weekend under his tutelage. I realize gumbo is an art form honed over one's entire life. But it would be a start....anyway, blah blah blah!!! I love the Cajun Country.
JohnI probably should have waited on the book review, as I now see I should have made clear that the book is entertainingly humorous (in the beginning), but is very serious in the discussion of the eroding marsh and the inevitability of continued restraint of the Mississippi. I too love everything about the area. I am particularly drawn to the La Fourche and Terrebone Parish, and my favorite, Grand Isle. If I were to consider leaving the NW, I would probably head straight to Grand Isle. I'm not sure I would survive the heat and humidity however.

As to Gumbo, you are so right. It became my favorite local fare while in LA, and I found that it varies a lot. All of it was palatable, but some definite standouts are there. My favorite restaurant in LA became "Cafe Des Ami" (spelling?) in Breaux Bridge.

Back to the book, remember that it was written in 2003, and does not take into account the added issues created by Hurricanes, Katrina, Rita and Ike. Nor does it consider BP's blunder. Speaking of which, I wonder if we'll ever know the full extent of damage to the Gulf from the oil. You know it's a hundred times worse than anyone is willing to admit right now.

On a final note, I have to say that the Galveston, Kemah, Houston area definitely caught my eye when I was down there. Another interesting area I'd like to explore further.

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 27th of February 2011 01:41:45 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 27th of February 2011 01:44:06 PM

I fully understood your point reference the seriousness of the book. I do have some "activist minded" relatives that keep me up to date on what is going on over there....and it had nothing to do with Katrina. Katrina was the Media's baby. I do not in any way intend to minimize what happened with Katrina, but it was a levy failure that was just waiting to happen....the actual hurricane was secondary to the issue. People don't realize that. The levy broke well after the hurricane had passed. Had it held. "Katrina" would never have happened!!!!

Baker wrote:

I fully understood your point reference the seriousness of the book. I do have some "activist minded" relatives that keep me up to date on what is going on over there....and it had nothing to do with Katrina. Katrina was the Media's baby. I do not in any way intend to minimize what happened with Katrina, but it was a levy failure that was just waiting to happen....the actual hurricane was secondary to the issue. People don't realize that. The levy broke well after the hurricane had passed. Had it held. "Katrina" would never have happened!!!!
That's a fact. I should have re-read my original post. It appears I have once again been redundant.*
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 27th of February 2011 11:42:59 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom