My name's not Mat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Britannia

Wannabe
Vessel Name
Stillwater
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
My name's not Mat, but I hope I'll be welcome anyway!

I've already posted in the Liveaboard forum so I thought I'd better introduce myself properly. I've searched this forum for many months and found many great posts that have already helped me along my journey.

I currently own a Catalina 36 and have been sailing for 14 years. In the fall my younger daughter will be going to college and I plan to become a liveaboard. I am looking for a larger trawler to live on and take out in the SF Bay and up and down the Pacific Coast. I will sell my Catalina in the spring.

The boats I have my eye on are: Defever 49 Pilothouse, Selene 47, Nordhavn 46, Hatteras 48 LRC. Ideally I'm looking for a full displacement vessel or maybe semi displacement in some cases. I'm ok with single or twin engines - but want to get decent fuel economy at hull speeds (in the 1.5-2 nmpg range would be good). I've considered the Grand Banks 46 though I'm not sure the layout works as well for me. I'm open to suggestions!

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Richard

Welcome! A fairly broad price range there. For the dollar, assuming good condition, and comparing liveable space to size, the Hatt 48 and the Defever are hard boats to beat. I find the Nordy's a bit chopped up inside and quite simply, the Hatt and the Defever are better boats than the Selene. For me, might be a tough choice between those two.

Welcome! A fairly broad price range there. For the dollar, assuming good condition, and comparing liveable space to size, the Hatt 48 and the Defever are hard boats to beat. I find the Nordy's a bit chopped up inside and quite simply, the Hatt and the Defever are better boats than the Selene. For me, might be a tough choice between those two.

Thanks! Yes a fairly broad range - from $250K to $450K. If I buy an older boat I expect to spend more on her than a newer one. Hence the range in prices.

I got very close on a Hatteras 48LRC - there aren't many on the west coast. It's hard to judge what's a good price since they're older and conditions vary so much.

Richard

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "My name's not Mat..." Ooohhhh. I gotcha now. I like you already.

dgyes.gif

Last edited:
In the very beginning Mat was the only person here. Then he got caught up in the anchor thread. It's a tragic sea story. Welcome

Welcome, Welcome Mat.

In the very beginning Mat was the only person here. Then he got caught up in the anchor thread. It's a tragic sea story. Welcome

Oh, I thought that was Bruce - and then he rode off into the sunset.

Thanks for the welcome!

Who/what is Mat? Is that a small rug to be stepped on? I've known persons spelled Matt, however: definitely not to be confused with a rug.

even though your name is not Mat we will allow you to welcome him

Welcome Mat! I hope your last name is not anchor.

I vote we change Richard's name to Mat.

Wifey B, Obscure song reference, nice!

I vote we change Richard's name to Mat.

Wifey B, Obscure song reference, nice!

Wifey B: Yes, song before my time but still I've heard of it.

So the trivia question is what's the name of the girl in the song lamenting that "I'm not Lisa", referring to her boyfriend continuing to mention his prior girlfriend, Lisa?

Answer: Julie

So guess that mean's if he's not Lisa, he must be Julie.

Richard-- If your plans include open ocean cruising you will probably want to take Grand Banks off your list. They are not blue water boats, but are terrific coastal cruisers. While they can certainly handle benign days on the open ocean, if you get caught out in a weather change and you're too far out to run for shelter ahead of the change, or the closest sheltered harbor is too far away, a GB is not the kind of boat you want to be out there in.

Wifey B: Yes, song before my time but still I've heard of it.

So the trivia question is what's the name of the girl in the song lamenting that "I'm not Lisa", referring to her boyfriend continuing to mention his prior girlfriend, Lisa?

Answer: Julie

So guess that mean's if he's not Lisa, he must be Julie.

Ok - I give in - this is clearly a self-inflicted wound on my part. Just call me Mat and let's be done with it!

Mat

Richard-- If your plans include open ocean cruising you will probably want to take Grand Banks off your list. They are not blue water boats, but are terrific coastal cruisers. While they can certainly handle benign days on the open ocean, if you get caught out in a weather change and you're too far out to run for shelter ahead of the change, or the closest sheltered harbor is too far away, a GB is not the kind of boat you want to be out there in.

Much as I might be crossing oceans in my dreams, I realize it almost certainly won't happen. However, the Pacific Coast can still deal up some nasty stuff and I while I won't be reckless I want options if things are not ideal. The GB is off my list for that and other reasons.

Thanks!

Mat

If your really going to live aboard?

The Hatteras is hard to beat. There are some things that become more important when you live aboard that may not be obvious when you use a boat recreationally. All of the Hatteras's offer larger spaces for heads, closets, salons, and staterooms. Part of this is due to the wide beam and the other is they didn't try to cram lots of small staterooms in a 48,58' boat. The galleys used household appliances, stacked washer and driers, lots of ac outlets, and enough shore power to not have to manage electrical consumption. Loose furnishings in the salon allow for flexibility and really comfortable furniture of your choice. Reverse cycle heat and cooling is zoned and effective. Windows and doors have tinted laminated glass and robust frames. At anchor and at the dock these boats are tighter , warmer , cooler and quieter than lighter built boats. They also have enough flat section in their hulls to rest rock solid at the dock. Wakes are almost never a problem. There are probably more older Hatteras's used as liveaboards than any other yacht brand, houseboats excepted. This is not to say they don't have issues. These are complicated boats, especially in comparison with a sail boat. At 30 to 40 years old they are getting long in tooth, all of the systems are robust and expensive to replace. They have a history of soft decks as all decks were cored. If penetrations were neglected and water has entered the coring you can spend big bucks repairing them. If they still have the older Onan generators, many have two, they are difficult to buy parts for. Fortunately the Detroit power plants are inexpensive to repair and pretty bullet proof. These boats are comfortable to live on, and that's the bottom line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom