old "classic" boat prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last shot is my idea of a classic car (I'm not a fan of American cars). I used to have one of these in college in Colorado; a Mark II that the previous owner had installed a Jaguar XK engine in.

The two tone black & red was my favourite, though I agree why bother with the XK engine, I assume you are talking about the 4.2 not the 3.8ltr engine, or was that prior to your emission regulations?

Love the big Healeys too. My dad was a dealer for them when they were new. Of course you can't touch a decent big Healey anymore for less than about $50K...

By the way Forkliftt, thanks for the compliment on my '33 Ford Hot Rod. It's a Factory Five and I have been building it for a little over a year - when I can find the time to get back to the homestead in Gainesville! Hope to complete bodywork and have it painted early 2015.

Attachments

• 11-28-13 Pic 8.JPG
    11-28-13 Pic 8.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 79
  • P9080025.jpg
    P9080025.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Love the big Healeys too. My dad was a dealer for them when they were new. Of course you can't touch a decent big Healey anymore for less than about $50K...

By the way Forkliftt, thanks for the compliment on my '33 Ford Hot Rod. It's a Factory Five and I have been building it for a little over a year - when I can find the time to get back to the homestead in Gainesville! Hope to complete bodywork and have it painted early 2015.

We are in the early stages of a project 1929 Ford just looks like a big mess right now

Saw the same jellyfish bloom in a small cove on the west side of Pitt Is ... other side of Grenville Channel. I pulled anchor entirely by hand then on our Albin and was concerned about pulling the rode. I used the rubber coated gloves I always use and no problem at all. What a shock it was to see all those jellyfish.

Marin a Jaguar engine is big .. and heavy. An old Jag roadster w a 401 Buick and Dynaflow trans produces a lighter Jag than the original. Don't know how he stuffed it in a Healy.
Andy I think the 3.4, 3.8 and 4.2 are the same block ?? Perhaps the small Jag sedans had a smaller version of the bigger Jag engines.

Last edited:
Last shot is my idea of a classic car (I'm not a fan of American cars). I used to have one of these in college in Colorado; a Mark II that the previous owner had installed a Jaguar XK engine in.

The two tone black & red was my favourite, though I agree why bother with the XK engine, I assume you are talking about the 4.2 not the 3.8ltr engine, or was that prior to your emission regulations?

It was the 3.8 engine. He got it out of a wrecked E-Type. It was a very tight fit, and it messed up the balance of the 3000. In a straight line, however, it went like stink.

In terms of design aesthetics, the E-Type coupe, the 3.8 and first 4.2s before they started stretching the car, is my all-time favorite vehicle. I don't like the E-Type roadster at all. I don't like it's looks, and I've driven one and it's like driving a bowl of jello. It really needs the roof to stiffen it up properly. But the original coupe design is gorgeous. As soon as they started stretching it though, it went from gorgeous to really awkward and ugly.

For awhile in Hawaii I had an Aston Martin DB-4. It was a lot of fun, a very nice design although not nearly as pretty as the E-Type, and is another car I should have kept.

I recently sold my BMW 635Csi. It was a daily driver and with 260,000 miles it was simply getting too expensive to keep up. If I get another play car, it will be a Morgan Plus-8. I've always loved that style of car, the Morgan is one of my favorites. The Rover V-8 they used in it for many years really makes it fabulous to drive.

The only American car that I think is really an aesthetic winner is the Studebaker Golden Hawk. I probably like it because it looks European. But other than that, America has never produced a car I've thought was good looking. They are all way too big, way too fat, and with extremely unaesthetic body lines to my eye. Especially the ones from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. By the 90s they all started looking like Hondas.

What the US does know how to design, however, are trucks. Pickup trucks, semi-tractors, US designers know how to make them look very cool. My favorite pickup design--- they were gutless vehicles but look great--- are the so-called five-window pickups, the ones with the little corner windows in the cab. And I think the 2012-14 Ford pickups look very nice. I've seen the new F-150 and they're starting to screw it up now, since they have to do something different. Like the Toyota Tundra grill the thing now sports.

Last edited:
Marin,

I have to tell you, I loved my '67 Jag E-Type 4.2 Series 1 ROADSTER. Fast, comfortable, and drop-dead gorgeous with its Opalescent Silver-Blue over red leather combination. Like most convertibles, it occasionally exhibited some cowl shake, however, it most certainly did not drive "like a bowl of jello"! And although it was not the most reliable piece in the fleet, with it's optional 2.65:1 rear end, it would cruise along at modern highway speeds like a champ. Damn nice car. Sold it about 15 years ago. Wish I still had it...

Marin,

I have to tell you, I loved my '67 Jag E-Type 4.2 Series 1 ROADSTER. Fast, comfortable, and drop-dead gorgeous....

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me the E-type roadster looks like a stepped-on dog turd.:) I feel the same way about the MG-A. Interestingly, Jay Leno feels this way, too (he did a video about a stock E-Type coupe he aquired).

I thought the E-type roadster I drove in the UK was terribly loose. Lots of visible vibration and wiggling around. On dead smooth roads like a motorway it was fine. But as soon as I got it on secondary roads that had both less than ideal surfaces and a lot of curves, I thought it was very woogety. I didn't find it enjoyable to drive under those condtiions.

Maybe it was just that particular car. But that experience and the squished turd body aesthetics really turned me off the roadster.

A fellow a friend over there introduced us to had been a factory manager for Jaguar during the E-series period and he felt the same way about the roadster. There was a big demand for one which is why they made it, but according to him, very few people at Jaguar reaally cared for it. He felt the coupe was the superior vehicle.

Unfortunately, I've never had a chance to drive the coupe. We came very close back in the later 90s to buying one in the UK and shipping it home, but we dedided to do something else instead before I had a chance to actually drive the car.

Last edited:
Sacrilege!! No one can talk badly about an E-Type!!! :rofl::rofl:
Still waiting for that perfect convertible E-Type, but I do love my 2004 XJS 2+2 - Jag finally got the styling correct on this 4th try!:facepalm:

Last edited:
..... but I do love my 2004 XJS 2+2 - Jag finally got the styling correct on this 4th try!:facepalm:

You mean Ford finally got the styling correct. Jaguar ceased to exist as a British company in 1989 when it was acquired by Ford. The cars began using Ford platforms and engines after that and styling was approved in Dearborn, Michigan.

Finally, my good buddy Alan Mulally managed to unload the anchor that Jaguar was becoming and sold it along with another anchor, Land Rover, to Tata Motors in India in 2008. Tata has already discontinued the Defender, the current version of the original Land Rover, effective December 2015, and is replacing it with a bizzarre-looking, cheap beach buggy affair that has "designed in India" written all over it.

Lord knows what Tata is going to do with the rest of the stuff they've acquired. I guess one advantage lf all this is that my own Land Rover that I bought new in 1973 is now worth about ten times what I paid for it.:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
You mean Ford finally got the styling correct. Jaguar ceased to exist as a British company in 1989 when it was acquired by Ford. The cars began using Ford platforms and engines after that and styling was approved in Dearborn, Michigan.

Finally, my good buddy Alan Mulally managed to unload the anchor that Jaguar was becoming and sold it along with another anchor, Land Rover, to Tata Motors in India in 2008. Tata has already discontinued the Defender, the current version of the original Land Rover, effective December 2015, and is replacing it with a bizzarre-looking, cheap beach buggy affair that has "designed in India" written all over it.

Lord knows what Tata is going to do with the rest of the stuff they've acquired. I guess one advantage lf all this is that my own Land Rover that I bought new in 1973 is now worth about ten times what I paid for it.:)

Alan M is a amazing man another MIT grad

The work he did on the digital flight deck is amazing

Alan

Oops, my mistake - meant to say "my 1994 XJS", not 2004. Yep, it's a Tata now:banghead:. Even though Ford acquired Jag in 1989, this 4th version of the XJS came out in 1990 and was the last Jag designed by Jag before Ford.

Oops, my mistake - meant to say "my 1994 XJS", not 2004..

Yes, that's a very interesting car. I've never quite figured out if I like the design or not. My wife does. As with the E-Type, I don't think the roadster version of the XJS works very well. The coupe, however, has some very cool design ideas incorporated into it. I really like the rear pillar and inset rear window design, for example.

Had a Jaguar 3.8S sedan for several years. Absolutely loved the aesthetics of the car, but, boy, was it a pain in the wallet, not to mention in the hands (lots of blood shed in adjusting valves, etc). But, it's one of the cars I once had that I wish I could have afforded to store and then get back to later in life. Along with the beautiful MG Arnolt convertible that was my first car/love (but a disaster). Have since learned to live with a beer budget, modified (heresy, but in the spirit of!) Brit car. Major engine parts available at NAPA.

Always loved Brit cars. Masochistic I guess.

Attachments

• Nigel.Shiftright.A Negative Attitude.jpeg
    Nigel.Shiftright.A Negative Attitude.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 75
  • nigelnz32.jpg
    nigelnz32.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 96
Nice to find that many forum members are car buffs. We own a 1994 Jaguar XJS coupe. It is our driving car when we leave the island and travel through British Columbia to Seattle and points South.

Damn! I'd like to share a photo of the car, however the instructions on how to post which I downloaded from the forum is about as confused as can be. For instants, the instructions read:

"If you use the "Quick Reply" box instead of the "Reply" button, select "Advanced Editor."
that will take you to the reply form that lets you attach a photo."

Doesn't make sense and when I initially hit the "Post quick reply" the text was posted as above.
the car photo is on my desktop.
Just not a computer person obviously.

Al

Heard the proud Jaguar driver`s boast? "Drove from Sydney to Melbourne and back (just under 2000km) and it only caught fire once". Crossflow heads became more valuable when Jaguar installed fuel injection with rubber(leak potential) type tube connectors. Fuel can`t drip on the exhaust headers.

If Weber`s side draft carburetor was invented after fuel injection, it would have been hailed as a great advance.

(Maybe I should just change the Thread title)

"If Weber`s side draft carburetor was invented after fuel injection, it would have been hailed as a great advance"
Love that one Bruce.

Doesn't make sense and when I initially hit the "Post quick reply" the text was posted as above.

Al

Al--- If you want to post a photo, select the Advanced button first. This will give you a new text window to type your post in.

After you've typed your post-- or before if you want to, it doesn't matter---scroll down in the advanced mode to find find a button that says "manage attachements."

Select this button and it will open a new, smaller window on your screen with a blank list at the top with ten spaces with buttons to the right that say "browse."

Click the first browse button and it will let you navigate to the location where your photo is (I usually put it on the desktop to make things easy).

Click on the photo and it will be loaded into the first space.

You can select up to ten photos, one at a time, until the spaces are all full.

When you have selected the photo or photos you want to post, select the button "upload" which is at the bottom right of the list spaces. Your computer will then start to upload the photos. This can take awhile depending on the number and size of the files.

Note that there is a limit to how big a photo file can be. If it's too big you computer can get "stuck" trying to load it and it will just sit there with nothing happening until you bail out of the forum.

When the photo(s) have loaded, a small list of them will appear just above where it says "Attachment key."

Once the photos have loaded, you can then close the manage attachments window and then hit submit reply under the text window for your post. After a few seconds your post and its attached photo(s) will appear at the end of the thread.

It's simpler to do than I've made it sound....:)

Al-- Apparently the manage attachements window can look different depending on what computer and operating system one is using. On the Dell Windows 7 PC I use for work, the window appears as I described it, which is also the way it appears on my MacBook laptop. On this iPad, it appears as seen below. But however it appears, there should be an active button to select that allows you to select a photo to upload, and then an upload button to actually upload them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 67
Have since learned to live with a beer budget, modified (heresy, but in the spirit of!) Brit car. Major engine parts available at NAPA.

That little Buick aluminum V-8 is is what Rover bought from GM when they discontinued the engine and turned into the very successful Rover V-8. Rover obtained the engine when one of the Land Rover execs was visiting a friend of his in the states who raced hydroplanes. In the shop the Land Rover guy noticed a small V-8 sitting on a pallet. He asked about it and was told that it was a Buick engine, powerful for its weight, and his friend was going to use it in a race boat.

Land Rover had been casting about for a more powerful engine to put in their then-in-development Range Rover (this was in 1968 or thereabouts). The boat racing friend said that GM was taking the engine out of production and would probably be willing to sell all the tooling.

Long story short, Rover bought the tooling from GM, shipped it all back to Solihull, England, and set it up in the Land Rover plant. They made a bunch of improvements and put it into production for the Range Rover, which came out in 1969. The engine, which was originally 3.5 litres, was also used in some of Rover's bigger saloon cars. Morgan also started using it in their Plus-8.

Eventually the engine was bored/stroked out to 3.9 litres and fuel-injected, and that's what's in the Range Rover we bought new in 1991 and still use today. Morgan used it in the Plus-8, too. It was also used in the early Discoveries and handful of Defenders that were exported to the US in the 90s.

The demise of the engine came when Land Rover increased the volume to 4.2 inches in an effort to get more power. It proved to be too much for the block, which would twist under high loads. The 4.2, which was used in the Range Rover of the same name, proved to be a very bad engine.

Somewhere along in here the engine got a bullet in the head when BMW bought Land Rover. At that point, they started using a BMW engine in the vehicle and the assembly line for the aluminum V-8 was shut down. Then Ford bought them and I don't know what they did for a gas V-8 after that. Land Rover had also developed its own line of very successful diesel engines and they are what was used in most Land Rovers and Discoveries sold in Europe.

But the little V-8 had a long and successful run in the UK in it's 3.5 and 3.9 days.

Last edited:
Here tis - just before it was hauled off - totaled by the insurance co - incredible hail storm - may be difficult to see the hundreds of dings:banghead::banghead: . Took the $ and bought a Mercedes E-Class - great car, just not as classy - and the girls don't look at me any more:hide:. My wife likes that though.

Attachments

• Jag.jpg
    Jag.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 79
FoxtrotCharlie,
Yup .... the girls do love those Jaguars. I had several (3) actually hop inside the passenger seat of my 140 roadster while at a light. Dated one of them. She was the nuttiest girl friend I ever had. Jaguar owners rarely get turned down for a date. Sorry Marin .... roadsters rule.

FoxtrotCharlie,
Sorry Marin .... roadsters rule.

Oh, I know. But they're still ugly as sin. I had a much better pickup machine in my dating days. In Hawaii, it was a Cessna 206. In Seattle, it was a de Havilland Beaver on floats. That's how I snagged the girl who is now my wife.

Let's see.... "Wanna go for a ride in my car?" or "Wanna go for a ride in my plane over to Maui for the day?"

And in Seattle it was, "Hey, you wanna fly up to Rosario for lunch in my floatplane on Saturday?"

Worlds better than a stupid car.:) I was never ONCE turned down for a date in a plane. And that included fashion models in Hawaii who wouldn't have given me the time of day if I'd asked them out on a car date.

It's all about style, dude.:)

Thanks Marin, I've been waiting years for an excuse to post this photo :socool:
Also, old dudes cruising for babes

Attachments

• beaver tail.jpg
    beaver tail.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 76
  • morgan.jpg
    morgan.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
That little Buick aluminum V-8 is is what Rover bought from GM when they discontinued the engine and turned into the very successful Rover V-8. Rover obtained the engine when one of the Land Rover execs was visiting a friend of his in the states who raced hydroplanes. In the shop the Land Rover guy noticed a small V-8 sitting on a pallet. He asked about it and was told that it was a Buick engine, powerful for its weight, and his friend was going to use it in a race boat.

Land Rover had been casting about for a more powerful engine to put in their then-in-development Range Rover (this was in 1968 or thereabouts). The boat racing friend said that GM was taking the engine out of production and would probably be willing to sell all the tooling.

Long story short, Rover bought the tooling from GM, shipped it all back to Solihull, England, and set it up in the Land Rover plant. They made a bunch of improvements and put it into production for the Range Rover, which came out in 1969. The engine, which was originally 3.5 litres, was also used in some of Rover's bigger saloon cars. Morgan also started using it in their Plus-8.

Eventually the engine was bored/stroked out to 3.9 litres and fuel-injected, and that's what's in the Range Rover we bought new in 1991 and still use today. Morgan used it in the Plus-8, too. It was also used in the early Discoveries and handful of Defenders that were exported to the US in the 90s.

The demise of the engine came when Land Rover increased the volume to 4.2 inches in an effort to get more power. It proved to be too much for the block, which would twist under high loads. The 4.2, which was used in the Range Rover of the same name, proved to be a very bad engine.

Somewhere along in here the engine got a bullet in the head when BMW bought Land Rover. At that point, they started using a BMW engine in the vehicle and the assembly line for the aluminum V-8 was shut down. Then Ford bought them and I don't know what they did for a gas V-8 after that. Land Rover had also developed its own line of very successful diesel engines and they are what was used in most Land Rovers and Discoveries sold in Europe.

But the little V-8 had a long and successful run in the UK in it's 3.5 and 3.9 days.

Ironically I have the buick version of the aluminum v8 sitting in my shop. It is fully marinized with offenhauser water cooled headers and a BW Velvet drive attached. I got it 25 years ago in a 19' chris craft racing runabout I found. I sold the hull over 10 years ago to pay for my shop. I plan to find the right hull to drop it into some day. With the headers , starter and accessories off the block I can actually lift it up solo.

Merry Christmas,
Hollywood

That little Buick aluminum V-8 is is what Rover bought from GM when they discontinued the engine and turned into the very successful Rover V-8. Rover obtained the engine when one of the Land Rover execs was visiting a friend of his in the states who raced hydroplanes.

Yes, and I believe the exec may have been J. Bruce McWilliams who, with his wife who was somehow involved in the sale on the GM side, lived in Deer Isle in recent years up until his death.

Not counting the early MGB Rover V8 conversions done by Ken Costello, the Rover 3.5 was used in factory MGB GTs for a short production run for British home sale only. Although a few of them eventually made their way over here.

Last edited:
Bah! I'd rather push a Triumph than drive an MG. Got one of these, in not quite as good shape in the garage...

th

Bah! I'd rather push a Triumph than drive an MG. Got one of these, in not quite as good shape in the garage...

th

Have to agree

I had a friend in HS his father owned a few MG dealerships and when they were about to go out of business he took 100 of them and moth balled them

I wonder if he ever started selling them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom