EPIRBS in Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The GPS versions take the "Search" out of "search & rescue". Buy a PLB version with GPS in it and attach to your life jacket. You wont have to tread water for anywhere near as long. You still need the big ugly one for compliance at this point unfortunately.

The other device worth thinking about, which would be really good for offshore sail racers who all too often loose someone over the side, is a personal AIS. With that you can turn around and find folks easily yourself without triggering the helicopter search etc Indeed, anyone who makes offshore passages regularly would find them useful. Have one for each life jacket and insist everyone wears a lifejacket. The inflatable ones are not a hassle to wear.

Well, I've checked my EPIRB, and it's not one of the recalled numbers, it is a MT406 G - h503E - whatever all that means.

Well, I've checked my EPIRB, and it's not one of the recalled numbers, it is a MT406 G - h503E - whatever all that means.
Peter, I think "G" denotes GPS model. Good choice.
I managed to register my new replacement MT600 with AMSA, as you must. If you activate, they know who is in trouble,the boat description, who to contact, etc. You can even upload boat photos.
The AMSA registration site is "klunky"to use, but I`m sure that on activation, an efficient rescue system fires up fast.

Yes, mine is registered. Expiry battery 2018. It is good to know, if needed, they could find you quick.

Strangely topical actually, as we have just had a chopper clearly searching for something or someone not far from where we are anchored in Cobby passage. It is dark and it had to make multiple passes, and shone lights down at the water once over a specific place. Then it went down so low it looked like it was landing in the water. It will be interesting to see if the news has anything in the morning. There was no traffic about it on VHF.

I bought the EPIRB about two years ago(MT 400 s503A) & have no idea if it is GPS activated or not. I thought all modern EPIRBS used GPS for tracking...Am I missing something? I put a call through to GME , still waiting on a reply.
Andy, it seems all Epirbs transmit a strong Beacon signal but Peter`s has a built in GPS while ours have a 121.5MHz homing transmitter to assist final location.
My research indicates the "homing" facility will attract racing pigeons in the vicinity. You should proceed as follows:
1. Welcome your pigeon on board. Serve it refreshments, birdseed and water should suffice, to assist it`s onward flight performance.
2. Write a message using waterproof paper and pen and attach it to the bird`s leg.
3. Fit the pigeon with an RMS approved PFD1 bird life jacket and shoo it away, repeating the word "home" in a firm voice.
4. Now make a cup of tea, clean up any mess left by the pigeon, and confidently await rescue.

Yes, we have a 'homing' facility EPIRB.

A while back we had cause to activate the unit, and as you say along came the pigeon which we welcomed aboard with food and drink.We followed the the instructions attached to Lucy, that's what the children named her, and when fed & watered off she went.

She was about twenty feet from the boat when this Great White broke the surface and took Lucy! All we found were some feathers floating on the surface, the children were very upset.I have written to the company to see if Lucy was covered under the warranty.

Hi Aquabelle,I stripped back the hull to the laminate because of excessive antifoul buildup and gelcoat failure.
Theresa was a one owner boat when I bought her last year,the owner was still boating at 94,hope I am at that age.

She looks a lot better now.
One more tick on the job list.

I am hauling my CL66 at KKMI next week. I think I already have epoxy on so fingers crossed I can avoid this job! I am pulling the rudders and stablizers though for a repack. That should be a fun job :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom