It gets windy in Bellingham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
I've mentioned in the past that during the winter we get storms marching through one after the other with winds that typically gust up into the 50s but have gone as high as 84 mph as measured at the weather station on top of the ice house in our marina. As I write this Im sitting on the boat as it rocks and rolls in the slip with the winds gusting up to about 25 mph.

The other week one of these storms came through and the photos show what they can do. The freighter is 600+ feet long. The pressure from the SE wind pulled the bollards out of the pier and pulled part of the concrete pier apart. The section of our marina that our boat is in is just above the stern of the freighter in the first shot. In other words, we all get the same winds.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419203898.777032.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419203920.789078.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419203942.652687.jpg

Last edited:
Just got home from checking our cover and lines down on gate 6. A bit breezy but nothing like the last blow. Wonder who is responsible for the damage from the freighter?

Marin, that's pretty amazing. What happened to the freighter after it broke loose from the pier?

We were in a Gale in Ketchikan a few years ago and it was really bad during the night. Didn't even want to go out and tighten the lines as I was afraid I may not be able to stand up. The next morning we heard at the cafe that the AK ferry that serves Metlakatla was blown off her moorings (dock) and up onto a beach.

No wind here to speak of Bob and Marin but I'm not mowing the lawn.

The bow grounded in the silt across the channel. Hours late 2 tugs pulled her back to the pier. She was re-tied and is still there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom