Best way to fill FPG holes, chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hi all,
I will be pulling old useless snaps, hardware off my fiberglass boat and will be getting it ready for Awlgrip paint.
What is the best "filler" to use for holes, chips, dings in the fiberglass?
I obviously want it to last as I plan to have the boat reprinted

Thanks for your suggestions!

Taras

Hi Tarus,
We used 3M Premium Marine Filler on hundreds of holes on our Willard.
It's a vinylester resin w micro balloons. See the traces of green on the cabin sides. It mixes quickly and is easy to apply. I highly recommended it.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 128 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 128 copy 2.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 115
You can make your own

Hi Tarus,
We used 3M Premium Marine Filler on hundreds of holes on our Willard.
It's a vinylester resin w micro balloons. See the traces of green on the cabin sides. It mixes quickly and is easy to apply. I highly recommended it.

Mix vinylester resin and micro balloons for small holes, larger holes you can add chopped glass fiber, cabosol to resin for added strength. Cheaper than 3m and more versatile, if your clever you can add pigment and match your finish.

Ditto on the 3M. One thing to look out for is that you will need to fill twice, and maybe 3 times to get it really flat to the surrounding surface. This is especially important with Awlgrip because patches that look flat after the primer can be readily seen once the top coat goes on. I've gone so far as to spray top coat on with an airbrush over the patch after I think it's flat, then sand that away before putting the primer on.

I've been using System Three Quick Fair 2 part . So far so good .

There is a thread on Cruisers Forum on something called http://www.magicezy.com. One person who has used it says it works well. Not sure how it holds up though. And it probably isn't something you would use if you were prepping to paint. I wonder if anyone on this forum has any experience with it.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I have used MarineTex with good results, the white is a close match to the gel coat color. A friend told me to fair it using a ice cube, I have not tried this method yet but plan to give it a try next time I'm patching dings.

West System Epoxy...... 105 Resin with 205 Fast Hardener. Combine components and add 407 Low Density Filler. If holes are larger than .25" then you will need to use 404 filler (High Density) for initial fill and then fair with a 407 mix. Will typically take 2-3 applications/sandings to obtain a true surface ready for paint. DELPHIN is correct...don't make the mistake of thinking that one application will suffice...it might look fair but I promise you it is not...minimum of 2 applications/sandings...3 is better....Awlgrip will show every imperfection. I've used West for 20+ years on 4 different boats and have never been disappointed with the results.

Trawler Forum is terrific! I've been on this site for many years and I've never been disappointed with the quality dialogue that is generated.

Your responses have helped me greatly!

Thanks all,

Merry Christmas,

Taras

I did as Troubadour with the West System.

I found this product to be valuable for those last minute spots when I though I was ready to paint. ADTECH Plastic Systems

I used the one in the link as it was recommended. Note there is a marine product too.

As others have suggested, I've always used West Systems epoxy with various fillers depending on the job with great success. There is some really great information here for working with composites (some of the best free videos I've seen on the topic) Boatworks Today

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom