Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This Tug conversion "Midnight Sun" is a good example of no compromise.

Midnight Sun was a fishboat, never a tug. Anyway, a spectacular boat.

refit_h154.jpg

There are always trade-offs.
This Tug conversion "Midnight Sun" is a good example of no compromise.

Fatboy cartoon

Attachments

• fatboy.jpg
    fatboy.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 120
...if I was to change the aspect ratio of my boat I'd make her bigger and fatter. She's 10'6" wide and 30' long but moorage costs are high enough that I'd rather she was 12' wide.

Maybe not. More and more marinas are adding the footprint of a boat into the slip fee calculation formula these days. One motivation for doing this is that the increased width of many makes of sailboats has reached the point where the marina can't put two of them side by side in a slip. So if you kept the length of your boat the same but added a foot and a half or two feet to the width, your moorage cost would likely be somewhat to a lot more than it is now depending on which marina you were in. I don't know if La Conner has started doing this yet, but if they haven't I won't be surprised if they soon change to this practice. Everyone else seems to be.

Mine too. 23' long and 7' 4" wide.
I'm petite too so we fit. We're not discussing my beam. Nope.

Hi Janice... What speed do you cruise and what is your mpg. Must be very economical. I'd not realized size of your boat prior to the above post.

As an interest... in 1948 23' Chris Craft Express, with parents in 40's and three boys (2, 4, 10 yrs old), we cruised New England inland as well as up and down the coast for weeks on end during summers of 1950's. I well recall what fun a 23' boat can be when it's set-up correctly. Dad was a master at boat interior layout with all sorts of nifty designed items that were utilized in many ways to make that 23 footer comfortably accommodate all five of us. :D

As we boys grew... so did boat sizes. eventually it was a 37' raised deck, flying bridge, sport fish beauty that dad and I completely refinished over a period of several years. Turned her into an enclosed salon family boat! What fun!! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

img_292037_0_34b2e15f4d56121b813a02f7d2b5612e.jpg

img_292037_1_b11cc91961ba5e811dc55c48a33dd8d8.jpg

Pretty nice for a private yacht, eh?

One can become a world traveler with access to so many of fellow TrawlerForum members. Amazing the volume of information each and every one of you contributors make. Thank you all.

Al.

Savarona is currently the state yacht of Turkey.

I was wondering where she went. I haven't seen her on the 100 largest list in a few years. They don't include state owned vessels, so that makes sense. She sure is a grand old lady! Very pretty.

Feadship A2

Feadships are beautiful. I'd have one in a minute if I could.

West,
Looks like a Monster Willard Voyager.

dhmeissner,
Some William Garden designs (like the one you posted) just take your breath away. And this one's a good example of how nice a boat looks w/o a FB.

Last edited:
West,
Looks like a Monster Willard Voyager.

dhmeissner,
Some William Garden designs (like the one you posted) just take your breath away. And this one's a good example of how nice a boat looks w/o a FB.

Orion has become somewhat of a Harbour Queen, although I have seen her advertised for charter.

Here's the mighty globetrotting Ulysses.

Attachments

• Ulysses.jpg
    Ulysses.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
The Hardy range of boats is based on the famous English Nelson S/D designs.
This pretty 32' model is a new design from 1998 with twin 250hp...

Last edited:
Absence of flying bridge enhances the boat's appearance.

Actually, Mark

Flying bridges are not put on boats to enhance their appearance... although on many they look quite nice.

Flying bridges are put on boats to enhance the scenery-view-ability, increased general enjoyment, added usable boat space, and ease of navigating into tight spaces with 360 degree visibility.

For those with vertigo or equilibrium challenges they might not be too attractive for any reason!

Actually, Mark
For those with vertigo or equilibrium challenges they might not be too attractive for any reason!

Describes me. Besides, I prefer the wind/solar/temperature/precipitation protection of a pilothouse with 360-degree visibility. :)

It's weird, but some designs just 'work' and look right.

The hardy and Sabre/ Back cove style boats have that sense of classical proportion even though they're modern designs.

To European eyes the lobster boats seem to be slightly out of proportion; but gain extra points because of their historical traditions and workboat heritage.

It's all seems to be a bit of a 'mix and match ' lottery.

Tad, I wonder where he got the butter box to fit on top of a perfectly good hull.

Here's a closer look at the Willard mentioned by TAD.
The house is a little large for the hull Ben but I don't see any butter box.
Not sure but I think this boat just sold.
West, What is at the "Steveston Heritage Boatyard"?

Attachments

• DSCF1009 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1009 copy 2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Eric-- Steveston is a remarkable place. We have not been to the shipyard but the fish market from the sterns of the moored fishing boats is a trip. Steveston apparently has the largest fishing fleet in BC, and the daily fish market is worth the drive up there. You can buy everything from live crabs, shrimp and prawns to fresh salmon, halibut--- the list goes on.

They have a very interesting cannery museum that shows what life was like in the multitude of canneries that dotted the BC coast in the early 1900s.

Not far away is the Britannia Heritage Shipyard (what West's photo is of) which shows what shipbuilding was like along the coast. We've not been to this yet, but here's a photo I snagged off the web. It was taken during a BC Forestry vessel rendezvous in 2011.

I don't know if the cannery museum and shipyard are open in the winter. But I believe the fish market is a year-round deal.

Well worth visiting--- we plan to go up again in the near future.

Here's the website for the shipyard. Britannia Heritage Shipyard

PS Answered my own question: the shipyard is open during the winter on weekends, noon to five pm.

Attachments

• Britannia Heritage Shipyard.jpg
    Britannia Heritage Shipyard.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom