Cuba in the Near Future?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would hope this is a good thing. I have two stories to tell. One is if Cuba is such a great place Why are Cubans risking all to leave? See story of Chugs. Story Two is the Cubans I met many years ago were wonderful people that like us and our $$. But I was in charge of a squad of marines that helped Cubans escape from Cuba to Gitmo in the early 70s/ It is a paradoxical situation. I do hope it works out as the people need to free.

@ TheOffice: July 2013

Great story!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

My last experience with the Cuban government involved being shot at by a bunch of "construction workers".

The nicest people and the cleanest place i have ever been. They haven't figured out the souvenir or pan handling yet. I guess we will ruin that! Cuban Rum NO7

Went to Cuba last month with friendly planet tours on a people to people tour. Great time and the most amazing thing was there were no Mac D's orKFC's. Saw a poor nation with buildings in need of repair but the people were great. The US influence was not there and this was as if time had stood still. Our guide referred to it as planet Cuba. Go on a tour now before we ruin the land scrape with our commission and influence. As far as cruising I think that fuel would be the greatest problem as it is exspentive and in short supply . Marina hemmiway was a sea walled marina with 50/30 amp service when you had it. Many sailboats from the us were there. The trick was to go to mexico or carribean leave then stop in Cuba on the way back. They "sponsored" you and long as you paid in cash then would not stamp you passport. You come back to the us and they cannot say it took you to long to get back. The reefs are bare but you still have big game fishing .

Pretty soon all the Cubans will be here and there will be a bunch of Americans wandering around Cuba asking "Where did everybody go?".

In the first five days of 2015 the US Coast Guard picked up almost a hundred Cuban cruisers trying to get to the US.

Be careful as the Cuban Cruisers can be a bit of a hazard to navigation.
They actually build some amazing boats. I once saw a Cuban Catamaran built out of about ten steel drums with a BIG truck engine and transmission attached to what was obviously a homemade propeller. I remember noticing that it had an 8D battery to start the engine.

The Cuban Cruisers are also good to fish around. There are always dolphin fish under them. I once saw a huge marlin come out of the water in the middle of a cluster of Cuban Cruisers. He was chasing a big male dolphin fish.

Photo from Washington Post: The Coast Guard faces a new spike in Cuban ‘boat people’ - The Washington Post

Attachments

• cubans0107-500x333.jpg
    cubans0107-500x333.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 90
Have those dolphinfish been feeding on "blind mullets"?

"Have those dolphinfish been feeding on "blind mullets"? "
No, but they've probably been eating smaller fish that have.

I remember when there was a place off Miami that locals called The Rose Bowl. The sewage was treated before being pumped out there, but it still could have benefitted from a pass through an Electro Scan.

A story went around that the U of Miami was doing plankton tows off Miami. They found a lot of tiny white fibers in their samples. Drove them crazy for a while. Yup, toilet paper.

Things have improved greatly since then.

According to the NYT, the rules for traveling to Cuba will be loosened starting tomorrow. While the approved reasons for visiting remain in effect, apparently there will no longer be a need to certify with a license that you visited for an approved reason--rendering them moot.

Among those categories are family visits; journalistic, religious, educational, professional and humanitarian activities; artistic or sports performances; and “support for the Cuban people.” Private firms arranged “people to people” programs to allow Americans to travel under those categories.

Under the new regulations, Americans will not need licenses to certify that they fit those categories. As a practical matter, experts say that will make it possible for many more Americans to travel without having to use such firms or satisfy government agents about the specific purpose of their visits. Moreover, travelers will be allowed to spend money in Cuba, which was previously restricted.

A Cuban trucker tag team was in here yesterday to pick up a load of lumber . I had to ask them what kind of car they drove in Cuba . They both had a 52 Chevy with 4cyl Nissan diesels in them .

Even if the US officials start looking the other way, I'd want to hear from someone on the Cuban side to see if they are in position to go with it too.

I don't think it will be a matter of the US officials "looking the other way." The standards for requesting and receiving a license to travel will be relaxed. From what I have read, a simple declaration of a purpose consistence with the license requirements will suffice. You must still get the license. Some of the tour groups sponsoring the "people to people" exchanges are not happy. Many of them currently charge exorbitant rates for the trips $2,500 to $4,000 a day. For what it costs to get to Cuba and to stay there, those are truly ridiculous prices. They have been able to get away with those rates because there has been no legal alternative.

Some of the tour groups sponsoring the "people to people" exchanges are not happy. Many of them currently charge exorbitant rates for the trips $2,500 to $4,000 a day. For what it costs to get to Cuba and to stay there, those are truly ridiculous prices. They have been able to get away with those rates because there has been no legal alternative.

Very good point. A little side market there. And I'm sure there are others who have been capitalizing on the situation. One example would be Dominican airlines.

There are always some against for their own reasons. I use to spend time when young in a very rural county of NC. They had no alcohol sales. Two groups would always band together. The conservative Christians and the Moonshiners and rest assured moonshine was big. Every small store carried it plus selling beer illegally.

Even if the US officials start looking the other way, I'd want to hear from someone on the Cuban side to see if they are in position to go with it too.

The Cuban officials I've met have always been happy to see me come in.

Except one very pretty immigration lady who grilled me for a while when I flew in on a one way ticket. But between all the free rum they served on the Cubana flight in and her pretty eyes, I was in no hurry to stop talking to her anyway.

The new easing of restrictions also allows US citizens to return with tobacco and alcohol. I read the limit was $100.00. The value seems a little low.

Conall

I feel like a regular Ambassador, went for a week last June and now they open it up. Great destination, can't wait to Boat there.

I wonder if the cigars will taste as good once they are legal.

Speculation is the quality of Cuban cigars will drop due to increased production.

That's a reminder of the days when Coors was only sold out west. People would get requests to bring cases home all the time. I heard that often those flying on the company plane would bring several cases. Started selling it in NC and soon it was just another beer.

Good point. Steve- with all the water that has passed beneath your keel, it wouldn't surprise me to read on your blog that you are heading down there?❗

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Steve, I'd love to, and hope to some day, we have ageing, 90 & 91 parents one each, so need to stick close to home now.

has anyone cruised from the mainland to the carribean?

From which mainland, and to which part of the Carribean? You've posted to a 7 year old thread regarding Cuba opening up, and you question isn't very specific.

I would suggest opening a new thread with a more detailed title, and asking for more specific questions.

By the way, Welcome to the Forum!:thumb:

From which mainland, and to which part of the Carribean? You've posted to a 7 year old thread regarding Cuba opening up, and you question isn't very specific.

I would suggest opening a new thread with a more detailed title, and asking for more specific questions.

By the way, Welcome to the Forum!:thumb:

Go easy on him. It's his first post ;)

Welcome to the site, slowgoesit :) :)

Even with permission, when you go to Cuba may not be the problem. Returning to the US waters, you may be greeted, on the water, by the USCG looking for "undeclared passengers" and other contraband.
It next to impossible to 'hide' on the water between Cuba and the US. Turning off your AIS is not a solution and may contribute to the suspicion.
There was a program that pre-register you boat with the US, making it easier when exiting and returning to US waters but, I cant remember the name of this program. The idea is, when you enter US waters, you called a special number and they will give you instructions on how to clear customs. It is supposed to make everything easier.

Last edited:
sorry folks, I am whats called a nubie. travel to the carribean

has anyone cruised from the mainland to the carribean?

I hope to take my 36 grand banks classic down the ICW then to the Bahamas and eventually St Johns. I am looking for information on the best route,timing,planning, maybe a "flotilla" to the island etc. Love to hear from anyone that can lead me to books,articles,videos general knowledge, thanks so much

Here’s probably one of the best cruising guides to get there. It’s out of print but you can still find used copies.

The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward, Paperback, by Mr. Bruce Van Sant

Van Sant traveled something like 80,000 miles and figured out how to do the trip without getting beat up.

I hope to take my 36 grand banks classic down the ICW then to the Bahamas and eventually St Johns. I am looking for information on the best route,timing,planning, maybe a "flotilla" to the island etc. Love to hear from anyone that can lead me to books,articles,videos general knowledge, thanks so much

It’s a long up hill slog from the Bahamas to the Islands. Not sure that you have the right boat for that Journey. However the book that Larry M recommended is a great resource. Read that many years ago.

Plan around the weather window and leave a copy of your Will at home. :)
You may get a bit of beat up, just remember to close the windows if it starts to blow.
Fill your fuel tanks and water tanks, to keep your ballasted down.
Let's hope the only problem you experience is boredom. :thumb:

well where is the transit freighter then? There are plenty of boats in the islands and they got there somehow

Keys-Cuba-Belize

Some time in the future I would like to go to Belize. I haven't really looked at the maps, but I thought I could stop off in Cuba. Could you stop there just to rest and not leave the boat. ie. anchored waiting for weather? I bet not, once inside there 3 mile limit. Any thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom