Donor hull for custom build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozark John

I'm looking to build a 24 foot custom trailerable displacement trawler and would like to find a suitable fiberglass donor hull. Multi day to a week at a time inland waterway cruising and overnighting for a couple will be the primary usage (Erie canal, upper Chesapeake & Barnegat bays, Navesink, Shrewsbury, Delaware & Hudson rivers, 1000 islands etc....) both anchoring out and in transient dockage. Outboard power (25hp or less) with conversion from inboard expected (bracket & swim platform), or potential for sailboat conversion (a la "terminal trawler"....and yes I understand the potential roll motion issues).

Preference for a straight (or near so) bow and traditional sheer. Very minimal onboard systems (no genset/120vac, composting head, portable butane burner & propane grill, block ice & cooler etc...) so lighter displacement, and hopefully shoal draft. Ideally, donor boat cost with serviceable trailer would be $5,000 or less, an acknowledgement of the likelihood of the potential for very little resale value if the end result 1) does not perform well or 2) misses the mark on live-ability or aesthetics.

So any suggestions on which donor hulls I should be concentrating on in my search?

Last edited:
In the US a 24' displacement powerboat hull would be a very rare beast. There are lots of planing hulls available cheap, but they tend to float nose down without a monster engine on the back. Best option will be a sailboat with a broken mast, build a pilothouse on and away you go......

TAD before I bought the Willard that was what I was going to do.
Sailboat conversion.

Sailboat to trawler conversions

For those who have not seen them, follow link below to The Sailboat Company in NC which does some jaunty Compac and O'day conversions.

Trawler Construction Study Guide

The hull lines have the right esthetic, but they are a bit small and don't have the tug or Nimble Nomad style and accommodations I'm currently leaning towards.

Any input on specific larger sailboats which might fit the bill?

The Sailboat Company in NC does some jaunty Compac and O'day conversions:

Trawler Construction Study Guide

They have the right hull lines, but are a bit small for the tug or Nimble Nomad style style and accommodations I'm currently leaning towards. Any input on larger sailboats with similar lines?

The difference in fuel burn between a Full Disp hull and a faster hull will seldom be over 15% at trawler crawler speeds..

If I wanted to run the loop I would look for a running boat IO like a 26-28 ft Bayliner that needs work.

At a grand or two it would be a minor investment that could be operated as you repair replace the interior and crapped systems.

Running the loop would cost a bit more in fuel , but the operating and repair expenses would be less than diesel.

5 quarts of oil, instead of 5 gallons, oil filter from NAPA fot $5.00 instead of the diesel folks for $25 each.

I the end the lowest cost trip really depends on weather you anchor out as much as you can VS a marina at $1.00 to $3.00 per ft per night.

When done a clean running boat will be far easier to sell than a lump on a trailer that >needs work<.

The round trip ,, cost of the boat + repairs vs the final selling price ,

should be lowest , although your labor invested wont count for that much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom