SR Mariner Speed Indicator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusbet

Veteran Member
Our new to us 1986 Monk36 has a wind speed indicator. We're not sure how accurate it is.* The part that is on the mast is rusty (photo attached).* The speed indicator gauge located in the cabin has the name SR Mariner on it.*

We do not have another source for wind speed except the weather station.*

Has anyone been able to replace their SR Mariner wind speed indicator at a reasonable cost?

-- Edited by rusbet on Sunday 20th of February 2011 07:56:51 PM

Attachments

• img_0675.jpg
    img_0675.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 106
Rusbet, I don't think the external rust is really relevant.* If the anemometer turns smoothly, it may be fine.* My unit gets has gotten crusty once or twice, and the application of a little WD 40 seemed to do the trick.* You can check yours off a friend's at the same marina, if it's ok, paint the mast and use the one you've got.

I contacted the SRMariner company online and they were very helpful with detailed instructions on troubleshooting (checking ohms) and lubricating the unit. We took it apart, lubricated it with a graphite spray similiar to that used for fishing reels, painted the housing and rod with rustoleum paint. It is now mounted on the mast and looks great. We'll see if it works better. Othewise, the next step is a new generator that costs about $65 from SRMariner.

She be all painted now so this belated suggestion can be filed away. I often use a Cold Galvanizing Spray. it's simply a zinc rich paint but it does seem to help. It a decent primer and the zinc delays the inevitable rusing if the paint film is ever compromised. It does not allow a really high shine surface but a overcoat with a standard primer should help that, then the final paint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom