Power cord repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimble1

Vessel Name
Sweet Pea
Vessel Make
Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
OK..the Glendinning cord retractor on my friends boat had a roller come loose and the cord bunched up.In the process the cord was cut or worn on the main roller(metal). The slit or cut is about 2" long. It is only cut on the outer part and not through a conductor
The question is: what glue or solvent might work to glue the edges back together?

Just because you can't see damage to the wires themselves can you be sure they're not damaged?

Well, obviously without cutting the cord covering off completely we don't. But we did inspect it very carefully and it does not appear damaged.
Just for the sake of arguments, lets assume its not damaged and find out how to repair or seal it.

To glue the outer jacket back together, I suggest trying Loctite 406. We use it where I work to glue power cables together and it bonds them more strongly than the jacket material. (Can't get them apart without cutting or ripping the material)

Ken

Wrap with self fusing silicone "rescue" tape. You should be fine!
Even comes in yellow!

http://www.amazon.com/Harbor-HAR201USC01-Silicone-Rescue-Tape/dp/B000ZTK6CI

71WTSOv5a7L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought about the tape but was not sure of what it was called. And will try the Loctite also.
many thanks

Greetings,
Mr. N. Assuming the conductor insulation is not compromised, most possibly the Loctite product would be more suitable. If the Rescue tape is used, there is significant potential for the "lump" to catch and tear on dockside protrusions. Either way, you may consider removing the plug and slipping a stout section of heat shrink tubing over the repair whichever of the two solutions you attempt. If you use a contrasting color of heat shrink it will allow you to closely monitor that particular section for any further deterioration.

Well, obviously without cutting the cord covering off completely we don't. But we did inspect it very carefully and it does not appear damaged.
Just for the sake of arguments, lets assume its not damaged and find out how to repair or seal it.

with a ohm meter check the resistance while measuring resistance have someone move the cut area if little to know change the wire should be undamaged

Is the cable damage net the cable end? If so, cutting off the damaged end and installing a new plug end may be a better approach. Loss of a feet of cable length may be worth the assurance of an intact and safe power cord.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom