VHF Options and Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budds Outlet

I am replacing two pre-DCS VHF radios. I plan to purchase two identical units, one for the lower helm and one for the upper helm.

I'm looking for recommendations on brand and model that will of course interface with MMSI. What I don't know is are there any other interface considerations such as AIS that I should be addressing. I will most likely be feeding the MMSI from a Garmin chart plotter.

On our last boat we had a Uniden UM525 but those radios do not appear to be available anymore.

VHF Options and Recomendations

Do you have a NMEA 2K network? What model is your current model garmin?

My vote is the Icom M506.

Last edited:
I like iCom radios. I have two on my bridge with a remote mic in the salon. Why two radios? back up and I can also run two differant channels at the same time.

N4712 - The Garmin Chartplotter is a 3210 with a network extender. I think the 3210 is 0183 but it may be 2000 compliant. I'm not sure on the 2000 compatibility.

Seduction - What model of iCom's do you have? I also like the redundancy.

Budds,
Before my last trip south I replaced one of my Navman VHF radios with an Icom M423. Excellent radio good volume and plenty of features. Will now replace my other Navman VHF with another Icom M423 sooner than later. MMSI , DSC ect all connected but I must admit not thru my Garmin system, that may come later.

If you don't have any AIS at all, you can buy a radio with an AIS receiver built in, for example, a Simrad RS35. If you plan to install an AIS transponder or receiver separately, you can buy one that has an AIS display, but no receiver, like a Lowrance Link-8 or iCom M506 N2K.

A nice-to-have on my list was the ability to add a wireless mic. Of those above, the Simrad and iCom support this.

I'd seriously consider NMEA 2K connectivity. Most radios will take 0183 input. Some will even put some of that data out on the 2K side. But for any kind of future campatibility, 2K is the way to go. No need to worry about stringing together "talkers" and "listeners". Plus it's a whole lot easier to just plug them in, rather than joining together tiny wires of the right color.

I would go with the Icoms with N2k make a small backbone, and get a N2k to 0183 converter so you can get your 3210 data to the backbone. Going to cost more initially, but pay off in the long run.

I would go with the Icoms with N2k make a small backbone, and get a N2k to 0183 converter so you can get your 3210 data to the backbone. Going to cost more initially, but pay off in the long run.

That is exactly what several at my marina have done and was looking at the same thing this is a helpful thread

I'm looking for recommendations on brand and model that will of course interface with MMSI..

We have ICOM radios on all our boats. They work great, have the features we need for each boat, and their reliabiilty is outstanding. As an added bonus for people in the PNW, ICOM has a factory service center in Bellevue, east of Seattle. We have several ICOM models, some brand new and one almost 16 years old. Same great performance from all of them.

Wow, thanks for all the advice a feedback. Pardon my ignorance N4712 but what is a backbone in regards to these radios and N2K?

A NMEA 2k backbone (N2K) is made up of an assortment of T's and one termination resistor at each end of them or the backbone. They're are starter kits sold by navico, garmin, and maretron. These give you the basics to start a network backbone. For every new thing you add you have to add a T somewhere in between the terminating resistors. So for instance if I'd be in your shoes right now I'd get a Garmin N2k starter kit, 2 additional garmin T's, and a Actisense NGW-1. And of course the radio's too. This backbone is expandable too, say you get a new chartplotter all you have to do is add a tee and now your radios are tied into your chartplotter or if you get a AIS transponder and new chartplotter add the T's hook up the cables, bam done.

I'm going to have a barely ICOM M506 with N2K + AIS coming up for sale in the next couple of week. If you decide to go that way, let me know and I can make you a deal. I ended up with an extra one.

Wow, I had assumed technology had moved forward but this is real progress. Having the AIS,DCS, GPS and MMSI integrated in one unit is great.:thumb:

Now that a backbone is explained to me I remember seeing something like this already onboard. I was wondering what that strange configuration of wiring was.:eek: I guess its time for me to get my learning cap back on. Thanks for all the input.

My last boat had the Standard Horizon 2150 with AIS receiver.

I interfaced it with my MFD and it worked great.
With that being said, I did like the Icom 504 in my previous boats. The quality seemed better.

I have a Standard Horizon. The AIS receiver links to my Garmin chart plotter. It shows AIS targets on the chartplotter display. Touch the AIS symbol and you get the information on that target. Automatic proximity warnings too. You might consider a RAM3 mic instead of a second radio. You can operate the radio from two positions, but only need one radio and antenna.

I like the idea of 2 radios; here's how I'm set up with 2 radios.

Both radios have remote mike capability, so I have a head unit on the flybridge and one at the lower helm. The remote mikes are run to opposite station. Each radio is interfaced with its corresponding head unit for DSC and AIS info.

Works great!

Standard Horizon 2150 with AIS etc. Model 1000 as a backup. Very happy, AIS on my plotter.

This is great and very interesting information and I appreciate the recommendations. I like having redundancy and the boat is already set up with VHF at both helm stations. What I am now considering is keeping one of the old vhf's in place and replacing one with current technology and remote mic. Now the question would be which station gets the new radio?

I think the main radio should be at the helm that you spend most time at. I have 2 iCom M504's, one at each helm. I like having the exact same radio. I also like redundancy. Each radio is wired through 0183 to separate Garmin 4212's. I have a stand alone AIS Transceiver wired to the flybridge chartplotter. The Garmins are networked together and are connected with N2K as well so the AIS is shared on both units. It woks really well. Whatever you decide to do make sure your new radio gets your MMSI number programed AND is wired to the chartplotter so that the little red button actually sends your date AND YOUR POSITION !!

I like the idea of 2 radios; here's how I'm set up with 2 radios.

Both radios have remote mike capability, so I have a head unit on the flybridge and one at the lower helm. The remote mikes are run to opposite station. Each radio is interfaced with its corresponding head unit for DSC and AIS info.

Works great!

Boy, talk about belt and suspenders.

Whatever you decide to do make sure your new radio gets your MMSI number programed AND is wired to the chartplotter so that the little red button actually sends your date AND YOUR POSITION !!

A nice thing about the Standard Horizon GX2200 is that it has built-in GPS. You don't need to connect it to anything for it to include ship's position in a DSC distress message.

+2 on the integrated GPS. Also per the Standard Horizon's website, the GX2200 will "Contact Class A or B AIS Ship with DSC". If I understand that right the radio will place a DSC call to an AIS target. This would save the hassle of identifying the ship, looking up and then entering its MMSI.

Now, what is an A or B ship in AIS parlance?

Many of the brands discussed are sold in Australia. The homegrown company is GME, popular, around a long time, and providing good service. I have their DSC VHF, with a "slave" unit on the FB. Thinking about it, 2 stand alone units might have been smarter, for redundancy just in case.

Good Question

Most if not all large ships are using class A - AIS. They are more powerful and much more expensive. Most if not all recreational boaters have class B. Some people say that the Big Boats (freighters, ferries, tugs and other large commercial vessels) do not monitor class B and in fact can tune those targets right out. That means that they do not see you if you are transmitting class B AIS. They claim they tune it out to avoid "screen clutter" in busy areas. You can see them but they wont see you.

VHF with built in AIS are great as receivers (remember most do not send your AIS position), just make sure you can connect the radio to your chartplotter so the AIS targets appear there. That's where you want them. In some cases that is not possible without buying accessory cables and hubs. This is where new new VHF's have N2K capability make it so easy to install.

DSC calling is another great tool to have and if used properly can be a real asset. It is true that newer units can call another boat that is displaying their MMSI # by a single tap on your chartplotter screen.

A great source for information and equipment in the PNW is: Welcome to Milltech Marine - your AIS experts and no I am not affiliated with them.

Back
Top Bottom