Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great background, great story. Fascinating info!

Ang Trawler 56, Martinique (FR)

4574469_20140218140943565_1_XLARGE.jpg

Certainly in the interesting category!

@Marin, great background, thanks.
Here is the new "Daedalus" built by Delta, more of an Explorer yacht.

Attachments

• Daedalus.jpg
    Daedalus.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 248
Animal that is the perfect boat .. long and lean and low .. IMO of course but I'm keeping my Willard 30 as that is all the moorage fees I can handle and I don't want to part w what I've put into her.

Speaking of big boats....
108' X- Naval academy trainer...Available in the Norfolk area for $30K. Nice galley!

Ad: Ultimate Trawler Yacht

00V0V_7ccVeXbdQ8c_600x450.jpg

00606_4FO3LK3cFlj_600x450.jpg

Here's the other Richardson that I mentioned a month or so ago. The story is that it is 48' long with a couple of MTU's, and the broker who owns it bought it for a song, just to park it at a Marina for an office. It is odd looking, but it has some of the most beautiful hardware I've seen. The window frames are 1.5" stainless.

Attachments

• Richardson 1.jpg
    Richardson 1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Richardson 2.jpg
    Richardson 2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Here's the other Richardson that I mentioned a month or so ago. The story is that it is 48' long with a couple of MTU's, and the broker who owns it bought it for a song, just to park it at a Marina for an office. It is odd looking, but it has some of the most beautiful hardware I've seen. The window frames are 1.5" stainless.

Wonder what the inside looks like

Here's another EX Boeing yacht "Impromptu" now part of the D. Washington fleet.

I saw her when she was the A & Eagle in Morehead City, and then again in Annapolis. The crew was moving her to the Chesapeake to entertain government dignitaries In MC they invited me on board for a tour The thing I remember most was the beautiful dining area and table service. It was elegant

While Boeing made a number of changes to her (the enclosed pilothouse is one--- she was designed and built with an open flying bridge but when Boeing got her to Seattle it was instantly apparent that an open flying bridge in the PNW is a bad idea), the dining room with its gorgeous table with the compass rose inlay was never changed. I've had a few meals at that table, and that is where the captain, the chef, my wife and I would meet to discuss the layout of the book.

The vessel's history and evolution is fascinating and it was great fun learning it all and then writing the story.

Interesting factoid-- When Augie Busch's children gained control of Anheuser Busch, they began to force their father out. One of the ways they came up with to make their father's life miserable was to force him to sell the A and Eagle. For tax reasons I'm sure, the A and Eagle was owned by the company, not by Augie himself. So the kids had the power to force the sale.

While Augie and his wife rarely went anywhere in the boat--- it spent most of it's time on its mooring and in the yard that was paid to keep it in perfect condition--- they truly loved the A and Eagle and used it a lot for entertaining. It was heartbreaking for them to have to part with it. One of the conditions of sale Augie managed to impose was whoever bought the boat had to guarantee that he would never see it again. In other words, it could not be sold to anyone who would keep it on the eastern seaboard, in Florida or the Caribbean, or on the Mississippi River. Boeing, of course, met those conditions.

The person Augie put in charge of selling the A and Eagle was a friend who was one of Anheuser Busch's top distributors and fancied himself to be a boat expert, a man named Bernie Little. Bernie turned out to be a terrible boat salesman (Boeing got a steal of a deal on the boat), but he later became the absolute king of unlimited hydroplane racing for years with his Miss Budweiser series of hydroplanes.

Last edited:
:thumb:That is when boats looked like boats-----not space craft. I guess I am just a sucker for traditional design.:thumb:

Here's one that you will like then.
The yacht "Atlantide" a 1930 Philip & Sons build.

Attachments

• yacht (3).jpg
    yacht (3).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Looks like the large curved davits are used to hold up a sunshade aft. As a minimalist I've always been intrigued by those non powered double davits on older boats usually used to launch small boats.

With a boom... flag looks big enough to be used as steadying sail!

Here's a shot of the building being moved up the river in 1975 from it's orginal location at Plant 1 to the future site of the Museum of Flight. It looks in pretty good shape in this shot but four years later it was a mess. All the red paint was gone, the weather had taken a terrible toll, and it was starting to sag in the middle.

In the early 80s I was in our office which was across the street from the Red Barn when we noticed it was moving. We realized it was being pulled onto the new foundation that had ben constructed for it.

I grabbed a camera (back then we shot everyhing in 16mm film) and ran across and shot the rest of the move onto the new foundation.

A few years after that, after the Red Barn had been restored and opened to the public, I was asked to put togehter a short video about the history of the building and its move up the river, which had been shot on film. The video was used in a display about the buidling that was set up in the Red Barn. I have no idea if they're still using the video.

Once it came to think of itself as a boat its need for maintenance was sure to multiply.

Looks like the large curved davits are used to hold up a sunshade aft. As a minimalist I've always been intrigued by those non powered double davits on older boats usually used to launch small boats.

Eric: Look more closely. They are functional davits and not sunshade supports. Each of the falls in West's pic are secured when not is use to the bottom of the other davit on each side of the vessel.

Last edited:
Look like there is room for another one on the port side, just to even things off.

Attachments

• Three outboards.jpg
    Three outboards.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 205
Long and narrow. Most of our boats are short and fat.

Indeed and thanks.
I do lean strongly toward long and lean but if I was to change the aspect ratio of my boat I'd make her bigger and fatter. She's 10'6" wide and 30' long but moorage costs are high enough that I'd rather she was 12' wide. Probably wouldn't require any more power. She carries 4000lbs of ballast and perhaps half of that could be taken out with the 12' beam. However the added beam may bring about a snap roll that would require even more ballast. Hard to say. But it's sad that moorage is so high that I wish for a fatter boat. Thinking about it makes me wish I was back in Alaska where I had a 37' slip w power, water and big beefy bull rails for $570 a year.

Indeed and thanks.
I do lean strongly toward long and lean but if I was to change the aspect ratio of my boat I'd make her bigger and fatter. She's 10'6" wide and 30' long but moorage costs are high enough that I'd rather she was 12' wide. Probably wouldn't require any more power. She carries 4000lbs of ballast and perhaps half of that could be taken out with the 12' beam. However the added beam may bring about a snap roll that would require even more ballast. Hard to say. But it's sad that moorage is so high that I wish for a fatter boat. Thinking about it makes me wish I was back in Alaska where I had a 37' slip w power, water and big beefy bull rails for $570 a year.

There are always trade-offs.
This Tug conversion "Midnight Sun" is a good example of no compromise.

Attachments

• Midnight Sun.jpg
    Midnight Sun.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 143
Okay West...where did you work / where do you live that gives you the perfect birds eye view of all those luscious boats?!!?

Back
Top Bottom