Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks to be a Crosby tug. A number were made and finished in different ways.

This is an example from BC on Yachtworld 1979 CROSBY YACHTS Tug Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com:

55.jpg

Now that is the coolest 26 footer I have seen in a long time. Now that would have made my night charters a little more interesting.
JIm

Hey Hollwood,
Then he would just have to get more toys !!!!

But if he got a LOT bigger boat he could hide them..

It sort of looks like the result of a redneck winning the lottery..

( No offense meant to the rednecks) oh what was I thinking.. a real redneck cannot read anyway.

:socool:

HOLLYWOOD

But if he got a LOT bigger boat he could hide them..

It sort of looks like the result of a redneck winning the lottery..

( No offense meant to the rednecks) oh what was I thinking.. a real redneck cannot read anyway.

:socool:

HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood I think your getten yourselves allmixed upt. Youz thhanken of these here thangs.
download.jpg

redneck-house-boat.jpg

redneck-yacht.jpg

.....he had to buy the company when it went broke in the process of building his boat. Who has that kind of money!?!? )))))

Well, Bill Boeing for one. He bought the Ed Heath shipyard south of Seattle for $1 and the debt so he could get his first yacht, the Taconite, completed.

Later, when he and Conrad Westerveldt decided to build a pair of airplanes, they used the shipyard and the shipwrights to build them.

If you visit the Museum of Flight on Boeing Field, the so-called Red Barn that is part of the museum today is actually the shipyard building where the Taconite was built. The building used to say "Heath" on the side, and it was located several miles closer to Seattle on the Duwamish Waterway. The shipyard became Boeing's Plant 1. When Plant 1 was closed sometime in the 70s (I think) the Red Barn was donated to the Pacific Northwest Historical Aviation Society. They had it barged up the river and then rolled across to more or less where it sits now. That's where it was when I joined the company, a totally weathered, gray, swaybacked derelict.

Last edited:
This boat may have already been posted but I find it very interesting to say the least. I mean this guys got it covered in all ways.
1. Helicopter by air
2. Larger boat (tender) by water
3. V.W golf for land.

The picture does not show it but in the pdf I have it shows the VW sitting under the platform that the boat is sitting on. Here is a quote from the page I got my second picture from.
(((Notice the helicopter on the back deck! We talked to the owner and he told us that he had the boat built in New Zealand – took 3 years and he had to buy the company when it went broke in the process of building his boat. Who has that kind of money!?!? )))))

I can answer that question......they guy who can put a helicopter and boat and car on his trawler...thats who !!! :socool:
Sure glad there is not a druellllling
Jim

That's Teddi Bear, they owned my boat going back 2 owners and are largely responsible for the re-building of it. Teddi Bear made the cover shot on PassageMaker magazine sometime in 2007 or 08. I have a copy at home but can't remember exactly when it was.

That's Teddi Bear, they owned my boat going back 2 owners and are largely responsible for the re-building of it. Teddi Bear made the cover shot on PassageMaker magazine sometime in 2007 or 08. I have a copy at home but can't remember exactly when it was.

She is now moored here in Victoria BC. It's been here since the fall.

Gee, Matt and Marin, I feel a little.......silly.:blush: I liked it so much, I was going to put one on mine.

Wifey read your question and thought the C was because the boat was cute

Interesting trawler on the floats in Prince Rupert BC.
Check out the details.

Attachments

• DSCF0324 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0324 copy 2.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 114
Interesting painted like a child's toy

Ah Ha!! You've revealed the obvious... Our boats are like child's toys!!! :rofl:

That's why they are dear to our hearts and we guys like to play with them so often. :D

Not a trawler - but very efficient

I found a boat I designed a while back online and for sale. Looks like you can get it for quite a good deal! Start your boating season early? I'd do a bit differently now, but it hasn't aged too badly.

SPIRIT Yacht for sale | OCEAN Independence

Last edited:
Ah Ha!! You've revealed the obvious... Our boats are like child's toys!!! :rofl:

That's why they are dear to our hearts and we guys like to play with them so often. :D

we have been caught

"... They had it barged up the river and then rolled across to more or less where it sits now. That's where it was when I joined the company, a totally weathered, gray, swaybacked derelict.

Marin, Please clarify--is that a description of the barn or a self-portrait?
;)

In the Spirit of Christmas I'll believe it was the barn :)

Here's a shot of the building being moved up the river in 1975 from it's orginal location at Plant 1 to the future site of the Museum of Flight. It looks in pretty good shape in this shot but four years later it was a mess. All the red paint was gone, the weather had taken a terrible toll, and it was starting to sag in the middle.

In the early 80s I was in our office which was across the street from the Red Barn when we noticed it was moving. We realized it was being pulled onto the new foundation that had ben constructed for it.

I grabbed a camera (back then we shot everyhing in 16mm film) and ran across and shot the rest of the move onto the new foundation.

A few years after that, after the Red Barn had been restored and opened to the public, I was asked to put togehter a short video about the history of the building and its move up the river, which had been shot on film. The video was used in a display about the buidling that was set up in the Red Barn. I have no idea if they're still using the video.

Attachments

• Red Barn move.jpg
    Red Barn move.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 135
I'm glad some are out there keeping track of interesting history. Thanks for sharing!

Currently listed on Yachtworld, this sacred-displacement cat with all the amenities including an integrated Tuna tower! Currently used as a Wedding Chapel. Here's some specs.

Twin 125HP Cummins diesel engines
Kubota 27kW diesel generator
Battery charger
Halon fire suppression system
Helm pump rudder system with emergency operation system
3 individual 89 gallon diesel tanks for engines and generator
210 gallons of fresh water
Holding tank is 190 gallons, Woaha!

Attachments

• floating chapel.jpg
    floating chapel.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 697
I'm glad some are out there keeping track of interesting history. Thanks for sharing!

Here is Bill Boeing's first yacht, the 96' Taconite, which Ed Heath was building in the red barn when he became serioulsy overextended financially. This prompted Boeing to buy the shipyard in 1910 for $1 plus the debt, so he could get his yacht finished.

The Heath shipyard continued to operate under that name, and it was here that Boeing and his friend, US Navy engineer Conrad Westervelt, decided to build a couple of airplanes (floatplanes) to Conrad's design. The planes were finished and flown in 1916.

Boeing's second, much larger yacht, also named Taconite, was built in Vancouver, BC by Boeing of Canada and launched in 1930. The Taconite (II) still exists, and the last time we saw her about three years ago she's in gorgeous condition. It is privately owned by a fellow in Vancouver. I took the second photo of the Taconite (II) in Maple Bay.

Attachments

• Taconite.jpg
    Taconite.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Taconite II Stern.jpg
    Taconite II Stern.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 540
Last edited:
Here is Bill Boeing's first yacht, the 96' Taconite, which Ed Heath was building in the red barn when he became serioulsy overextended financially. This prompted Boeing to buy the shipyard in 1910 for $1 plus the debt, so he could get his yacht finished.

The Heath shipyard continued to operate under that name, and it was here that Boeing and his friend, US Navy engineer Conrad Westervelt, decided to build a couple of airplanes (floatplanes) to Conrad's design. The planes were finished and flown in 1916.

Boeing's second, much larger yacht, also named Taconite, was built in Vancouver, BC by Boeing of Canada and launched in 1930. The Taconite (II) still exists, and the last time we saw her about three years ago she's in gorgeous condition. It is privately owned by a fellow in Vancouver. I took the second photo of the Taconite (II) in Maple Bay.

Marin

What did Bill Boeing do to gain wealth/capital before he built planes?

Bill Boeing's father was a very wealthy mining engineer who immigrated to Detroit, MI from Germany. He also built up a successful sideline as a timber merchant. When Bill was done with college (not sure if he actually graduated from Yale or not) he moved out west to get involved with the lumber side of the family business. He bought a lot of timberland around Gray's Harbor near the Washington Coast.

I'm assuming Bill's family was involved in the taconite business in some way since Bill named both his yachts Taconite. Taconite is a mineral used in the making of steel: it was what the Edmund Fitzgerald was full of when she came down hard on a reef in a storm, broke her back, and sank.

Although he started in aviation building airplanes, Bill rapidly expanded into all facets of the industry. Somewhere I have a "family tree" of what the Boeing Company consisted of before it was broken up by the government after a series of anti-trust hearings in the 1930s. (The government was on a real anti-trust spree back then.)

Airplane manufacturing was by then just a small part of the overall company. Boeing included Hamilton Standard, Pratt & Whitney, Stearman, United Air Transport, Varney Airlines--- the list is truly staggering when you see it all laid out.

When the company was broken up the little Boeing Airplane Company really struggled for awhile without the other companies shoring it up financially, and there was some doubt it would survive.

After the company was broken up, Bill in complete disgust vowed to never have anything to do with any of the ex-Boeing companies again, including the Boeing Airplane Company. So far as I know, he never set foot on Boeing property again until he was an invited guest and speaker at the rollout of the Dash-80, the 707 prototype. We have film of his speech in our library.

After the breakup of the company he retired to the horse and cattle ranch he had put together near Fall City, WA in the foothills of the Cascades not too far from where we live.

His son, Bill Boeing, Jr. is still going at 90-something. I interviewed him the other year for some project, and while he has some physical ailments that confine him to a wheelchair most of the time, he's still sharp as a tack and told great stories about things like his first airplane ride in a Boeing Model 70 mail plane with his mother, and about cruises on the Taconite.

There's a lot of stuff on Bill Boeing and the history of the company on the web if one wants to dig in deeper.

Last edited:
Here's another EX Boeing yacht "Impromptu" now part of the D. Washington fleet.

Attachments

• yacht (1).jpg
    yacht (1).jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 308
The BoeingCompany did not call that vessel Impromptu. Under Boeing she was called Daedalus, a name suggested by then-CEO T. Wilson's secretary. The yacht was designed by Philip Rhodes in 1966 for Augie Busch, then CEO of Annheuser Busch. Her original name was A and Eagle, which is the official name of the Annheuser Busch logo. Boeing acquired her from Annheuser Busch in the 1970s.

Some years ago I was hired by the captain of the Daedalus to write, together with the yacht's chef, a big coffee table cookbook that would be presented to corporate guests of Boeing's. The Daedelus was not for use by the company's executives but was a marketing tool used by the company with its airline customers. Airbus had its world-renown executive dining room in Toulouse (in which I was a guest once) and I can tell you there was good reason for its reputation. We had the Daedalus.

I wrote the half of the book that's about the boat, her design, construction, history, how she was used, first by Augie and then by Boeing, how the vessel evolved under Boeing's ownership, and what life was like onboard for the guests and crew. The chef created the cookbook part and the publisher hired the best food stylist and food photographer in Seattle for the illustrations.

The end result is an absolutely gorgeous book. I was given one copy, which my wife, who gave the idea of the book's meal plan layout to the chef, totally treasures. Daedalus cookies, which the chef showed her how to make, are to die for.

As a result of this project, there is little about this vessel I don't know up until the point Boeing sold her. I've been out on her several times and spent one evening cruise in the galley watching the chef and his assistant prepare an amazing salmon dinner.

Boeing sold the Daedalus a few years back for a couple of reasons. One, her purposely-built-thin steel hull was starting to pinhole and the vessel needed about 3 million dollars worth of hull replating and other repairs. Two, the Daedalus had been built by Abbeking & Rasmussen in Germany. Given the way Boeing was using her, and how they wanted this use to evolve, we were skating on increasingly thin ice with regards to the Jones Act.

And three, at 120 feet, the Daedalus was becoming too small for the way she was increasingly being used.

So she was sold to somebody in Vancouver, BC who as I understood it was going to completely overhaul her, including replating the hull. I lost track of her at that point.

Boeing replaced her with a 150-foot vessel built here in Seattle by Delta. Relatively new when Boeing bought her, the new vessel is bigger, and having been built in the US the potential problems with the Jones Act all went away. Also re-named Daedelus, the new vessel uses the same Lake Union pier the original Daedalus used to use.

I've not been aboard her although she's passed us a few times in the Gulf Islands. While I'm sure she's very nice, the new Daedalus looks like the typical Euro Yacht. The original Daedalus was a true class act. I hope she's doing well.

Last edited:
The BoeingCompany did not call that vessel Impromptu. Under Boeing it was called Daedalus, a name suggested by then-CEO T. Wilson's secretary. The yacht was designed by Philip Rhodes in 1966 for Augie Busch, then CEO of Annheuser Busch. Her original name was the A and Eagle, which is the official name of the Annheuser Busch logo. Boeing acquired her from Annheuser Busch in the 1970s.

Some years ago I was hired by the captain of the Daedalus to write, together with the yacht's chef, a big coffee table cookbook that would be presented to corporate guests of Boeing's. The Daedelus was not for use by the company's executives but was a marketing tool used by the company with its airline customers. Airbus had its world-renown executive dining room in Toulouse, which I was a guest in once, and there was good reason for its reputation. We had the Daedalus.

I wrote the half of the book that's about the boat, her design, construction, history, how she was used, first by Augie and then by Boeing, how the vessel evolved under Boeing's ownership, and what life was like onboard for the guests and crew. The chef created the cookbook part and the publisher hired the best food stylist and food photographer in Seattle for the illustrations.

The end result is an absolutely gorgeous book. I was given one copy, which my wife, who gave the idea of the book's layout to the chef, totally treasures. Daedalus cookies, which the chef showed her how to make, are to die for.

As a result of this project, there is little about this vessel I don't know up until the point Boeing sold her. I've been out on her several times and spent one evening cruise in the galley watching the chef and his assistant prepare an amazing salmon dinner.

Boeing sold the Daedalus a few years back for a couple of reasons. One, her purposely-built-thin steel hull was starting to pinhole and the vessel needed about 3 million dollars worth of hull replating and other repairs. Two, the Daedalus had been built by Abbeking & Rasmussen in Germany. Given the way Boeing was using her, and how they wanted this use to evolve, we were skating on increasingly thin ice with regards to the Jones Act.

And three, at 120 feet, the Daedalus was becoming too small for the way she was increasingly being used.

So she was sold to somebody in Vancouver, BC who as I understood it was going to completely overhaul her, including replating the hull. I lost track of her at that point.

Boeing replaced her with a 150-foot vessel built here in Seattle by Delta. Relatively new when Boeing bought her, the new vessel is bigger, and having been built in the US the potential problems with the Jones Act all went away. Also re-named Daedelus, the new vessel uses the same Lake Union pier the original Daedalus used to use.

I've not been aboard her although she's passed us a few times in the Gulf Islands. While I'm sure she's very nice, the new Daedalus looks like the typical Euro Yacht. The original Daedalus was a true class act. I hope she's doing well.

Marin What a great story thanks for sharing

Back
Top Bottom