Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so after tripping and falling off the marlin board on to the ground, I managed to pull my sh*t together enough to get the toilet walls lined.

Feeling sore, sad and sorry now tho lol.

Oh well sh*t happens ?

I feel your pain. I was scraping ice off of my front steps, slipped and went ass (arse) first down to the sidewalk. Still waiting to get my sht together, and still not sure why the hell I live in the great frozen north :confused:

Greetings,
Mr. H. OUTSTANDING progress! The one thing that raises questions and concerns in my mind as I see Axe transforming from a pile of timber, screws and nuts and bolts is ventilation. NOT the overall airiness of the vessel but what is between the bulkheads and the apparent fine joinery you're employing whilst assembling your jigsaw puzzle. Have you allowed any provision for air circulation inside the bulkheads?
IF there is ANY water or moisture intrusion into the dead air space there is a potential for dry rot. Those little dry rot animalcules just love damp dead air and will fornicate themselves to no end eating up your efforts faster than you can say "Ned Kelly was a pansy". (not true, by the way).

feeding.gif

G'day mate.
Yeah I've have :). When I installed the floor in the fwd cabin I left a 20mm gap around the perimeter open that was from scribing the floor panels allowing air to vent from/to the bilge. I was going to glass it but figured it will help service air flow.

In the bottom wall plates i drilled a series of ventilation holes direct to the bilge.

In the walls I will be putting grills in.

I'm going to have a couple of dorade boxes. One will be pumping air into the bilge under the fwd bedroom and the second will pump air into the engine room as well as a bilge blower and side grills in the hull.

Will this be enough do you reckon?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

I could say "OH Shiiiit" to this post of yours. But, you would not know if I meant that term regarding your fall off marlin board or the head you are encasing! Well... the AXE's head looks really good. I hope the head on your shoulders looks/feels good as well after the tumble. As we age one of the first functions that decreases is equilibrium/balance, one of the first items to increase is falling. Another fact o' life.

So... can we guess the "hard" fact that is last to decrease in males?? :thumb:

OK, nuff said - LOL :rofl:

Lol thanks mate.

I feel your pain. I was scraping ice off of my front steps, slipped and went ass (arse) first down to the sidewalk. Still waiting to get my sht together, and still not sure why the hell I live in the great frozen north :confused:

Haha nice. I've never seen the snow or ice like that. How do you scrap it off things? Is it hard or soft?

Not a lot to show you today I'm afraid. For some reason the day went really quick. Scribing takes so much time to do.

Nevertheless I got the gunwale framed out and the gunwale boards on and screwed off.

I also laid the first timbers for the windscreen and I cut the stem off to anchor height.

That's it for another weekend.

Cheerio ?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418550247.188653.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418550277.186062.jpg

Haha nice. I've never seen the snow or ice like that. How do you scrap it off things? Is it hard or soft?

Consider yourself lucky! it started as snow, but after it had been walked on a bunch of times, then thawed a bit, then re frozen, it was nice and hard. Had to get after it with the edging shovel. That's when my Clark Griswold moment happened.

I'd much rather be spending my time on a project like yours in sunny upside-down land. Great thread, btw!

Greetings,
Mr. H. "...Will this be enough do you reckon?..." Time will tell my friend, time will tell but it's good you HAVE planned for ventilation.

Started the framing for windscreen/door, sprayed the helm again and turned a $19 Jarrah Garden sleeper into a bowsprit. Getting close to fitting Rex's bow bling on AXE

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419068636.695644.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419068650.815644.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419068663.036688.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419068675.401966.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419068686.302206.jpg

Windscreen framing done and that's pretty much the final shape of her finished. Now for the hard part, making her look pretty and functional.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419247482.972036.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419247527.175453.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419247558.342327.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419247665.053564.jpg

Matt, she looks like a beautiful butterfly emerging from the cocoon.:thumb:

Regarding AXE: OMG - Says It All!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Art :D

Matt,

This has been the best story, difference being it's true, extremely entertaining - episodes very week to look forward to, so much so I am now getting the jitters knowing how much I will miss your rebuild thread on AXE when he - she splashes down.

One of the great things with this story is if you go right back the start just watching the progress with out reading is enough to get you hooked, humor is there from the get go , frustration, surprises, realizing your limits and testing your en devour has hooked me from the start, even relation ship building? Its all there.

Matt thank you and your better half, you have certainly given us a year of continued interest, your thread is rewarding - inspirational, thanks to all on this thread, stay healthy, safe, and have the best Christmas and new year.

Regards Rex.

Last edited:
Geez guys. Awfully nice words there! Thanks so much. Im really glad and honoured to have had our paths crossed; and really blessed to have been given the opportunity to do this project.

I'm not really a people person and I don't really go out of my way to make friends, especially with someone I've never met or someone that lives halfway across the world; but I can hand on heart say I've made some life long friends on here both in Australia and overseas and for that I am grateful to have had the opportunity. Thanks to those people I am a better person for it.

I'm also thankful to have members on here watch over me and my project. I have been saved numerous times from making a mistake.

Some of the fondest memories I have of this build aren't of AXE, instead it's about being on here with all of you (the contributors). The laughs, the arguments, the trolls, the lessons learnt.

There certainly has been some ups and downs through the build. From the project itself, to finding out Flic was sick, to work redundancy to then new employment opportunities to then being rushed off to hospital by ambulance; but everything has a way of working itself out hey!

One day I will learn to breathe. The spotlight might be on me; but I didn't get here alone! If it wasn't for you I probably would have stopped long ago. One thing that stayed constant and the one thing I could count on throughout this project was you guys and your support so from the bottom of my being; Thank you!

Right enough of that! ...

Today I finished off the roof panels and lines the eaves. Really happy with how they came up. I'm focusing on the window areas because I have a company coming on the 5th Jan to do a measure and quote so need to get it up to finished size.

I was going to do wooden sash windows but a company we use at work for the ships windows said they will build windows for AXE. 6mm safety glass in fully welded ally frames. She'll be water tight, last a million years and look a million bucks! Well much than the sash windows I was going to build anyway.

I did some tweaking of the bowsprit and tomorrow I plan on focusing on the anchor locker and getting it all epoxy filleted and taped etc.

That's all of today

Cheers
Hendo ?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419341738.416124.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419341756.583311.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419341771.734639.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419341803.854034.jpg

Matt, you have probably already thought of this. When you install the finish facia at the edges of the cabin roof, it could be good to run it past the bottom at least a 1/4 to 3/8" to form a drip edge. That will break the surface tension of the water, and keep it from running back against the house sides and windows. It also makes it easier to caulk, and get a good seal at the joint.

Last edited:
Matt,
Looks like you're gett'in up in the world ... way up. In the pics anyway it looks like two boats stacked up. I hope you're not thinking of a FB. Is the bottom heavy enough to balance all that top hamper? The top and bottom half of the topsides look so different it's hard to scope on how high the boat really is.
I really like your wheelhouse windows. There again there may be tricks on my eyes as in one photo it looks like the windows are vertical and in another slanted. My windows are similar but maybe they aren't completely vertical either. Sometimes a small change like a bit of window slant makes a big difference in appearance. Thus far the fwd windows are the best looking part of the boat .. I like. Boat looks kinda tall though.

Matt,
Looks like you're gett'in up in the world ... way up. In the pics anyway it looks like two boats stacked up. I hope you're not thinking of a FB. Is the bottom heavy enough to balance all that top hamper? The top and bottom half of the topsides look so different it's hard to scope on how high the boat really is.
I really like your wheelhouse windows. There again there may be tricks on my eyes as in one photo it looks like the windows are vertical and in another slanted. My windows are similar but maybe they aren't completely vertical either. Sometimes a small change like a bit of window slant makes a big difference in appearance. Thus far the fwd windows are the best looking part of the boat .. I like. Boat looks kinda tall though.

Thanks mate. Yeah the last one is a terrible pic and makes AXE look like ****. I don't know why it looks like that. It doesn't look as top heavy in real life. Same with the windows. All of the angles in the window frame are 22.5 deg. Left to Right and Top to Bottom.

Matt, you have probably already thought of this. When you install the finish facia at the edges of the cabin roof, it could be good to run it past the bottom at least a 1/4 to 3/8" to form a drip edge. That will break the surface tension of the water, and keep it from running back against the house sides and windows. It also makes it easier to caulk, and get a good seal at the joint.

Yeah mate have a 20mm trim that will go on and act as the break ? :)

The roof/eaves look great

when will the windows be complete for installation they are going to look GREAT

Thanks mate! The windows shouldn't take long at all TBH. I won't fit them until she's all painted tho :)

Thanks mate! The windows shouldn't take long at all TBH. I won't fit them until she's all painted tho :)

Yes will make life easier that way

Well today I was working on the anchor locker. I have glassed tapped all of the seams and made a new Sampson post.

I had 4ltrs of old engine oil so I poured that inside the post before welding the cap on. She won't ever rust on the inside! Lol.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419410406.607833.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419410419.642662.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419410434.023474.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419410452.725468.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419410464.643168.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419410478.277715.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419410501.512272.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1419410519.615146.jpg

Yes will make life easier that way

Yeah I'm a fan of that lol. The were talking about doing frameless stick on type but I need the frame to help sure up the cabin so opted for the fully welded frames.

Thanks mate. ART gave me a poke and a hurry along to upload some pics

Thanks mate. ART gave me a poke and a hurry along to upload some pics

Yo, Matt

Heck - Didn't mean to poke you too hard! Thanks for picts. Good luck in all your ways of doing. Keep on keepen on!

Your friend, Art :)

Yo, Matt

Heck - Didn't mean to poke you too hard! Thanks for picts. Good luck in all your ways of doing. Keep on keepen on!

Your friend, Art :)

All good brother!

I've got much love and respect for you so it's all good :)

Both you and Dimer2 know what the situation/issue has been.

Keep on smiling my friend :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom