Pro Mariner 2000ps inverter/charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike_nickens1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Godspeed
Vessel Make
36" Marine Trader Sundeck
Looking to if anyone has experience with this inverter/charger or suggestions for one that is pure sine wave and around 2000watts

http://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-02012-2000PS-Inverter-Charger/dp/B006MIY1AY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418329854&sr=8-1&keywords=2000ps+inverter+charger

Thanks!

>suggestions for one that is pure sine wave and around 2000watts<

What heavy motor loads will you be attempting to power?

Air Cond, water maker , scuba pump, ?

THe inverter overload rating is important to weather it can start these loads.

Two years ago we asked ourselves the same question about inverter brands as we moved from a MSW to PSW design. We chose a Magnum with Victron in 2nd place. Pro Mariner did not at that time have a 3000 W unit with any history plus our attempts to find information about the brand and users' comments proved difficult. When buying for marine use, installer feedback (marine electrician), history and track record is more important to me than front end price. You may want to talk to a marine tech in your area about what they do and don't like regarding marine specific brands.

You can pay anywhere from $500 to $2000 or so for a 2,000 watt inverter/charger. The Promariner model that you are interested in is about $1,000.

Even though I am not a fan of Xantrex products- lousy customer support and quality issues, their Freedom HF 1,800 watt MSW unit looks like a real bargain at $500 (Defender) with a detachable, remote mounted display which is an extra on most models. I think I would take a chance on that one if I could get by with MSW.

David

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the feedback. I will not be running any heavy draw items. Mostly for microwave, TV and a few lights. I've calculated that 2000 watts should be enough for my needs.

From what I've read, I will need a pure sine wave to guarantee good reception on the new tvs and laptops. Is this true??

I'm really afraid of Xantrex because of the bad press they are receiving lately. I'll look at the other brands mentioned. Thanks!

I've had no problems with a msw unit for my computers or new LED TV. I'm using a cheap 1000 watt unit. Paid about $125

I have been boating long enough that MSW was the standard for inverters. My old Freedom 25, since replaced with pure sine wave, blew out a number of chargers including the charger for my Craftsman drill and my tooth brush charger. It would not operate my washer/dryer. I was happy when I got it off the boat.

A sine wave (big buck) is required for huge AC motor loads , otherwise it is a waste of cash.

Most electronics just take the juice and convert it into what is needed to operate internally, no fancy inverter required.

For a microwave or TV a $200, 1500W truck unit , about$ 200 will do fine ,

A hood battery charger is to my mind a stsnd alone unit.

That way when either the charger or inverter die , you dont loose everything, till purchasing the next replacement.

Here are dozens of inverters that would work, there are many many brands at a similar price.

http://www.donrowe.com/category-s/1841.htm

If you have no generator , the battery charger can be very simple and low powered , as most dockside power is 24/7.

Avoid Ferroresonant styles at all costs.

Lights can be changed to LED , expensive but very worth the bucks.

IF lots of anchoring out , will be a goal, a SOC meter should be first on the to buy list.

Last edited:
I have been boating long enough that MSW was the standard for inverters. My old Freedom 25, since replaced with pure sine wave, blew out a number of chargers including the charger for my Craftsman drill and my tooth brush charger. It would not operate my washer/dryer. I was happy when I got it off the boat.

Yes, I second these happenings.

In 2010 we installed a Maretron backbone and converted to NMEA 2000. With our MSW unit turning the microwave on kicked out AP and a laptop based chart plotter. When we started using an induction cooktop the MSW was not able to power it up. Converting to PSW cured these ills and others.

IMHO MSW limits the degree to which one's vessel can join the 21st century. A lackluster branded inverter makes cruising to those far away places less certain. But most inverter choices can be successfully accomplished if you are a near shore facilities and a short distance cruiser - that is not us.

Are you planning on hardwiring the inverter so it will power AC outlets or are you planning on plugging things into the inverter?

My plan is to hard wire the inverter - charger to the electrical panel. I'll leave the existing charger in place as a backup, but turned off.

If you are going to hardwire the inverter, you will need inverter only outlets, that are completely isolated from the shore power system or set up a failsafe switching system. If you plan on using the same outlets as shore power, you will need an automatic AC switching system or a manual switch that insures that shore power cannot be used at the same time as the inverter.

There are inverters that have the automatic switching built in. They also route shore power through the switch. This is where the quality of the inverter counts, if the inverter fails, you will probably lose shore power until the inverter is repaired or replaced.

I hope to install an inverter this year on my boat. I am leaning towards the Victron MultiPlus inverter/charger. The MultiPlus has the ability to turn off the charger function. That allows you to use a separate charger if desired.

If you plan on using the same outlets as shore power, you will need an automatic AC switching system or a manual switch that insures that shore power cannot be used at the same time as the inverter.

With usually 3 sources of power , dock, noisemaker and inverter , with different grounding requirements ,

the simplest (and lowest cost) is to plug the boat into any of 3 supply sockets, dock noisemaker and inverter.

If well located its a snap to do .

Back
Top Bottom