TrawlerFest or Miami Boat Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keb

So we are looking to walk as many boat layouts (in a condensed period of time) as possible after the first of the year. I need to narrow down my "wish list". What event would be the best use of time?

Kevin
Portland, OR

So we are looking to walk as many boat layouts (in a condensed period of time) as possible after the first of the year. I need to narrow down my "wish list". What event would be the best use of time?

Kevin
Portland, OR

Check and keep checking the exhibitors lists for both shows. See which on will have the most boats you would be interested in seeing.

We have some good brokers here on this list that could assist you in seeing some at different locations.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have been watching but need to book travel arrangements soon. I guess one thing I am unsure of is the main focus of Trawlerfest ... Is it a boat show in most regards yet focused on the trawler style and lifestyle ... Or is it more like a boat rally/ party of trawler owners with some boat builder/dealers thrown in for balance? or someone to fund the hosted bar ... ?

Kevin
Portland, OR

Bradford Yacht Sales, where Yachtbrokerguy works has a huge selection of yachts right outside side his window, all under cover (priceless in the summer!) From little to huge.
For sheer magnitude of boats of all types of all sizes you can't beat the Miami show if you have at least a couple of full days. The weather will be beautiful and your guaranteed to be humbled even if your a billionaire who flew in on your own jet. There's always bigger, newer, and better ones to taunt you. Then there's the cars and women. All I see is the maintenance and aggravation they all exude, and say "god bless them for allowing me to see them all but glad they aren't mine".
Trawlerfest? Not even the size or scope of just the engine displays at the Miami show.
I saw more Krogens and Trawlers all gathered in one place at the marina on south a1a in Ft. Pierce (in condo complex across the street from Chucks) the other day than ever gathered at any show. There's no gates and most owners are onboard. The dockmaster is right there on a Manatee. That's where I would go to see trawlers, and no crowds or traffic either.

Last edited:
I was planning on going to the Seattle Boat Show for the same reason-see the boats, walk the floor plans, etc.
Sounds like Miami is much bigger than Seattle.

Yeah, we did the Seattle boats-afloat-show last year for a day, and while it was an extraordinarily beautiful January day in Seattle (odds are that weather won't repeat), we would like to see a larger selection of boats to walk this year. With the Miami show in mid Feb we may do both. I was wondering about TrawlerFest that was happening at the same time as the Seattle show, if it was a more focused option for those interested in trawlers. The Seattle show was a great start for us to walk a few but probably raised as many questions as it answered. And we are not interested in spending time waiting in line for a personal tour of the 120'+ yacht nor spending time on sailboats. Also, bottom line is we need to get out of the PNW for some sunshine!

Kevin
Portland, OR

Miami is overwhelming. No way to see it all. Living in Miami, I went yearly, but in the end I had my schedule to see the boats I was interested. The Sail only section in downtown is peaceful enough to do the vendors and see some interesting boats, but the motor yacht area of North Miami Beach is too much for my lady and I. We go there, but only to see the trawler section now. It's really something to step aboard a 10 million dollar vessel, but frankly, we're not interested.

I usually spend two days at the vendor halls in Miami Beach and collect whatever info I can on new products. Good show prices there.

The last Trawler Fest we went to was good enough, fewer boats to see and contemplate, and a good learning atmosphere with the seminars and lectures. More our style, but if you got social fever and like the crowds and traffic, you've got all you want in Miami.

The Miami boat show is actually three different shows at the same time. Strictly Sail which of course is sailboats, The Miami International Boat Show, which is new boats only and is located at the Convention Center and Sea Isle Marina, and The Yacht and Brokerage Show which takes up a mile of Collins Avenue in Miami Beach, yes a mile of show.
Usually new trawlers like Nordhavn and Selene are at Sea Isle Marina and broker boats are at Miami Beach. However it is very expensive to display a boat at the Brokerage show so boats priced under $300,000 are limited.
Since many trawler buyers are like their boats , slow and steady, brokers are less likely to bring a trawler to the Miami show, they want to bring a boat that might sell better to the go fast, high dollar clientele that goes to the show. It is too early to get an accurate list of brokerage boats in the show but Show Management will eventually have a list of boats on display.

My advice would be to forget about using a boat show to see a large number of trawlers. Instead, spend time now figuring out which broker you should be working with. Get recommendations from others who have worked with that broker on trawler sales. Get into long and serious discussions with the broker with the goal of uncovering what you're really interested in buying. Then let them line up a whole set of boats to go see (probably somewhere in Florida).

Make the broker work for the commission. The good ones will gladly build a lifelong relationship so that you get the boat that's best for you.

That said, there's no question that I'd go to the Miami Boat Show given the choice. It's got to be 10 times the size of TrawlerFest (20x?). While there will be some boats worth exploring there, it's the rest of the products, electronics, helm chairs, dinghies, and scores of other systems that are represented at Miami to give you hands on with all the important things you'll want once you have the perfect trawler. There is no show like Miami for all of that.

I'm fortunate enough to live in FL on the west coast, so we're going to drive over to attend both shows. We're torn between boat types and designs, and we're in the very early stages so I don't want to waste a broker's time right now taking us around to boats that will probably not be around when we finally make our choice. In the meantime, we can come up to speed on wants and desires by attending the shows and seminars.

We attended a number of west coast Trawlerfests prior to purchasing our boat. They are very focused on the trawler lifestyle and cruising. Excellent for that. I personally would not go to a Trawlerfest to get an idea of the type of boat you were looking for, you will see mostly displacement boats. Start broad (boat show) and focus down when you find the boat style that fits you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom