Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool well I'll put that in the 'To Watch' book for a lazy day.

You're new to posting on my thread ay? Not seen your handle in here before.

Welcome.

Have you got any projects on the go?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

I do all very very small compared to yours

completed ones

new heads and complete new system

new cushions on the back deck

paint both shower pans under

2 of the 4 marine airs replaced

PROJECTS to come

New generator back end

replacing all rubber hoses on the engines

rebedding all the windows

building and installing new swim platform

replacing sliding door with hinged door and outside wetbar area

now I do not have have ten hands or the super power speed you do

but these should be fun

Cool mate. Sounds interesting. What sort of toilet system are you running?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Ok well I've gone and done it now. I've put a date on project splashdown.

My self imposed deadline for AXE is 365 days from today. That's 52 weekends till splashdown

Better get cracking

I can't believe how far you've come in such a short time . You're always making forward progress and don't seem to burn out . This has been an amazing project . One more year will go by fast . If anyone wants to get motivated this is the thread to read . Thanks for all the inspiration. Keep up the good hard work . It's all down hill from here.

I can't believe how far you've come in such a short time . You're always making forward progress and don't seem to burn out ....
:thumb:So true. It is a treat just to see Axe taking shape.

Matt,

Is your plan to splash down ready for sea trials, or are you going to get her to the point were she will hold out the water, and finish her up in the marina?

The reason I ask is that after a major project like yours there is going to be some rework that comes along that can't be anticipated until she is in the water. Normally stuff like a corner that needs to be moved back because you keep stubbing your toe on it. Some times its bigger things like water pooling on the deck in a spot that will lead to rot down the road. With no way of checking weight an balance until she is in the sea, I would think that getting her wet sooner than later my be to your advantage. I would be willing to bet that you are going to want to place bits and pieces of equipment in key locations to change her trim. In the water is the only way that is going to work out.

Some marina's will let you do a fair amount of work on the water ( here in the States anyway ) some will not let you take a gallon of paint down to your boat. Some marina's have a 4+ year waiting list to get a slip??????? Have decide where you will be keeping her?

Cool mate. Sounds interesting. What sort of toilet system are you running?

Sealand 8100 Series Master Flush

Fresh water

Matt,

Is your plan to splash down ready for sea trials, or are you going to get her to the point were she will hold out the water, and finish her up in the marina?

The reason I ask is that after a major project like yours there is going to be some rework that comes along that can't be anticipated until she is in the water. Normally stuff like a corner that needs to be moved back because you keep stubbing your toe on it. Some times its bigger things like water pooling on the deck in a spot that will lead to rot down the road. With no way of checking weight an balance until she is in the sea, I would think that getting her wet sooner than later my be to your advantage. I would be willing to bet that you are going to want to place bits and pieces of equipment in key locations to change her trim. In the water is the only way that is going to work out.

Some marina's will let you do a fair amount of work on the water ( here in the States anyway ) some will not let you take a gallon of paint down to your boat. Some marina's have a 4+ year waiting list to get a slip??????? Have decide where you will be keeping her?

Hi mate,
AXE will be swinging off a mooring buoy in the middle of the river mate. No power or "Marina Luxuries" for my girl.

At this stage, the goal is that AXE will be sea trial ready when she goes in. I'm aware that there isn't any possible way to preempt all possible scenarios requiring adjustment or modification but I'll do what I can. Things may change and the launch readiness may have to change accordingly but my number one focus is sea trial readiness.

My main concern that is always on my mind is Ballast, Trim, Draft and LWL

I'm mindful that AXE will never truly be finished. There will always be something to do.

AXE's home

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418221426.086657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418221444.541103.jpg

I'm mindful that AXE will never truly be finished. There will always be something to do.

True definition of a boat... especially one built by boat loven hands! :thumb:

WOWMatt, I am getting that dreaded and incurable "Bilge Envy". Nothingbeats that new boat BLING BLING. Shiny stuff makes some of us drool all over.:smitten:Love Love the helm arrangement I can imagine your grinning faces at the helm when you andflic splash. Might want to take along medications to treat you extreme joy onthat day.:D

Nice looking spot to hangout on the hook. The fresh water is a blessing for just about everything. Thanks for the view.

WOWMatt, I am getting that dreaded and incurable "Bilge Envy". Nothingbeats that new boat BLING BLING. Shiny stuff makes some of us drool all over.:smitten:Love Love the helm arrangement I can imagine your grinning faces at the helm when you andflic splash. Might want to take along medications to treat you extreme joy onthat day.:D

Hey TB.
I'm envious of the shiny stuff around your boat and it's called water! Haha.

Yeah I sometimes find myself sitting on the seat Flic made, looking around staring and playing out things in my head.

It's exciting thinking of the possibilities and adventures to come! Naming a date and having all of you guys standing up behind me giving me support certainly has given me a much needed boost. :)

Nice looking spot to hangout on the hook. The fresh water is a blessing for just about everything. Thanks for the view.

Hi Mate,
Its Saltwater there mate. Bit murky but its ok.

Its a nice little community down there. A couple of Police officers own boats there so the Water Police are often down doing patrols, all of the owners there are pretty close knit and know each other and look after each others boats, especially when the storms come in.

I cant wait to go down there and chill out :smitten:

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 3-5.jpg
    3-5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Boat-Taking-On-Water-Beach-2_small.jpg
    Boat-Taking-On-Water-Beach-2_small.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Boat-Taking-On-Water-Beach-1_small.jpg
    Boat-Taking-On-Water-Beach-1_small.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 81
Ok well I've gone and done it now. I've put a date on project splashdown.

My self imposed deadline for AXE is 365 days from today. That's 52 weekends till splashdown

Better get cracking

Matt, I'd lay odds on you'll beat that…

No pressure though mate..

Last edited:
Matt, I'd lay odds on you'll beat that…

No pressure though mate..

Hey Pete

You make the splash-by-date. Bet is $100K Then I call Matt... he and I will split the pot, soon after your date! - LOL :hide: :popcorn:

Not to me it doesn't I have atrocious luck. I've never even won a chicken on a spinning wheel.

I once was called and advised I had won a special ballot in a Building Society I was paying into for years. Normally that meant an interest free house loan, or substantial cash in leu of. I questioned the agent who rang carefully that that was what I had won - he said yes. I then allowed myself a wee bit of jubilation, as we had a house loan, but the cash would come in really handy. I needed a new car. He rang back the next day all apologetic, saying it was really a bit of a publicity stunt to mark the opening of a new office in that city, but the prize was really just a house loan, not interest free.
When I advised him I could not use it, he said no cash in lieu, but they'd give me a monogrammed Parker pen. I told him to shove it where the sun didn't shine…

I then took all my money out and bought a new car anyway with that.

That's my luck for you…so no, sorry no bet on…but I still feel sure Hendo will be ahead of target date. Just a feeling I have...

Matt:
Sitting in the boat, looking around & staring, thinking what needs to be done. A favorite pastime of mine, along w/ a glass of good bourbon. My slip is about 50 minutes from home and is my hideout when I need peace & quiet. You'll be there in the near future, keep at it mate.
Mike

Ok so after tripping and falling off the marlin board on to the ground, I managed to pull my sh*t together enough to get the toilet walls lined.

Feeling sore, sad and sorry now tho lol.

Oh well sh*t happens ?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418460434.642467.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418460450.318293.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1418460470.865748.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. H. OUTSTANDING progress! The one thing that raises questions and concerns in my mind as I see Axe transforming from a pile of timber, screws and nuts and bolts is ventilation. NOT the overall airiness of the vessel but what is between the bulkheads and the apparent fine joinery you're employing whilst assembling your jigsaw puzzle. Have you allowed any provision for air circulation inside the bulkheads?
IF there is ANY water or moisture intrusion into the dead air space there is a potential for dry rot. Those little dry rot animalcules just love damp dead air and will fornicate themselves to no end eating up your efforts faster than you can say "Ned Kelly was a pansy". (not true, by the way).

feeding.gif

Ok so after tripping and falling off the marlin board on to the ground, I managed to pull my sh*t together enough to get the toilet walls lined.

Feeling sore, sad and sorry now tho lol.

Oh well sh*t happens ��

View attachment 35314
View attachment 35315
View attachment 35316

I could say "OH Shiiiit" to this post of yours. But, you would not know if I meant that term regarding your fall off marlin board or the head you are encasing! Well... the AXE's head looks really good. I hope the head on your shoulders looks/feels good as well after the tumble. As we age one of the first functions that decreases is equilibrium/balance, one of the first items to increase is falling. Another fact o' life.

So... can we guess the "hard" fact that is last to decrease in males?? :thumb:

OK, nuff said - LOL :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom