View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #41
kthoennes
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Good discussion. As a gov't bureaucrat myself I'm the first one to jump on difficult, slow and inefficient government agencies, but I have to say I just got my operator's license and ship's station license from the FCC. Okay, the website is not the easiest process on earth, but no worse than doing your taxes on the IRS site. The FCC response was incredibly fast - got both certificates or licenses in the mail within a few days of the applications. Couldn't believe how quick it was - so now I have the MMSI number, call sign, and everything else I need for the new AIS transponder and the new VHF radio. Now the Coast Guard's federal documentation processing - that's a completely different story. They post their processing delays on the net lately. The processing times for some transactions are measured in *years* no joke. We filed the exchange (transfer) forms for the new boat two months ago, nothing so far. I take delivery and we sail New England next spring. Wonder if I'll have any of it by then. Compliments to the FCC, while the CG's doc processing should be an embarrassment to the Coast Guard.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote