Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotcha. Happy Trails.

Attachments

• Southport.jpg
    Southport.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 78
Hey very cool! Where was that taken?

We are running on one engine. The cooler failure has led to seal failure and no port engine. I think I have a one day pull, rebuild and reinstall set up for Charleston. We'll see!
If I have to low speed maneuver I can only run the engine for less than a minute before adding more fluid!! Oh and I'm out of fluid!

you can use engine oil in the tranny as long as you dont spin it more then 3000 rpm

Hey very cool! Where was that taken?

The state port docks at Southport have a Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera, very cool.

The State Port Pilot : Live Web Cam

Zooming was pretty easy, caught you has you turned the corner. Envious as heck since I'm sitting in 4 beige walls and a window to the Cape Fear to torture me. Hope your travels are pleasant.

Capt Jerry thanks. That became our plan B after talking with VD. So cool about the Web cam!

ForumRunner_20141209_170858.jpg

ForumRunner_20141209_170925.jpg

ForumRunner_20141209_170938.jpg

Daddyo, I've been there, done that and had to run on motor oil, which btw, doesn't leak as bad. In fact, it quit leaking.

Looks like you just passed Lightkeepers Marina and you are now parked at the new boat landing in North Myrtle beach. Getting some free dockage? :)

ForumRunner_20141210_093452.jpg

ForumRunner_20141210_093646.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141210_093541.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141210_093541.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20141210_093712.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141210_093712.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 67
We are running on one engine. !

We found running on one engine was quite easy at 6 knots and 1800 RPM. Rudder offset about 7 degrees to compensate. What have you seen with one engine issues and fun?

FYI...The Velvet Drive manual that came with our boat states that 30wt motor is preferred
over transmission fluid....

Frank

We found running on one engine was quite easy at 6 knots and 1800 RPM. Rudder offset about 7 degrees to compensate. What have you seen with one engine issues and fun?

We're running at 1800 doing about 6.5. I like running on one but docking is another matter all together!!!! One of the good things is our duel alternators are on the engine we're running so still plenty of juice!

Last edited:
If it is just fluid leaking into the flywheel housing, that seal can be changed without taking the gear completely apart. Gear does have to come off the engine, though. Common failure, that seal, when the hours and years add up.

Total rebuild $$$. PO had work done and they used some automotive parts.

When you get a moment, could you explain what happened to the engine, what had to be done to fix it, and what the order of collapse was? I understand a cooler failure lead to a seal failure; I have no idea if I got it right.
I'm just curious and just picking up bits of flotsam and jetsam from other folk's experiences to put on my mental life raft. I'm especially interested in avoiding repairs, since I'm clumsy and end up with bloody knuckles, bruised shins and painful pinch bruises whenever heavy metal gets taken apart.

Headed out on the 30+ hours offshore to St Augustine. Tranny feels great so far!

Headed out on the 30+ hours offshore to St Augustine. Tranny feels great so far!
:thumb:

You have good weather for the overnight trip. I plan on being in St Augustine on Monday.

Thanks! The weather looks very good. Not crazy about coming into the St Augustine inlet in the dark!! Not crazy about that inlet in broad daylight!

Midnight arrival mid flood tide. At least we'll float off! Tranny ran flawlessly for the last 28 hours. I highly recommend Chris Jones also the folks at Moxy Marine. Tranny out and completely rebuilt and installed on a Saturday morning. Total turn around of 23 hours.

Midnight arrival mid flood tide. At least we'll float off! Tranny ran flawlessly for the last 28 hours. I highly recommend Chris Jones also the folks at Moxy Marine. Tranny out and completely rebuilt and installed on a Saturday morning. Total turn around of 23 hours.

Good deal. Nice to have working parts. How far off shore did you go? Do you have to remain (how much) close(r) to the beach to avoid the northward stream? What's the target southerly port? Any pics of St. Augs/other?

(Apologies if I sound like a gestapo interrogator, just curious of the journey)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'll post some pics soon. Running the rhumb line from Charleston to St Augustine only puts you about 40 miles out. The stream is a bit farther out in that spot so no issues. It would have been nice to have caught the reverse current that is on the west side but no such luck. Anchored last night and will again tonight. I hope to make Lauderdale on Sat. But we're just not getting the miles in. Lots of dolphins swimming with us!

To the moon with slide rules and vacuum tubes. VAB rules!

ForumRunner_20141218_124355.jpg

Your boat looks great at sunset in Coco, FL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 113
Always a great little stop. The free dock is great when you don't want to launch the dinghy!

ForumRunner_20141218_195347.jpg

Back
Top Bottom