USB to RS-232 adapters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penta

Vessel Name
Penta
Vessel Make
36' 1961 Sather ex-Gill Netter
Does anyone have any experience with any of the many adapters that appear to be available for this purpose?
I am attempting to set up a laptop or desk-top as a chart plotter and they all seem to now come only with a USB port rather than the old RS-232 type while both of my Furuno GPS units are RS-232 output.
I obviously want to purchase an adapter that has some track record in this application.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
John Tones* " Penta "

You can buy one from Radio Shack, Best Buy and many others. You need to make sure the drivers are available and compatible with your operating system. Chuck

Thanks to both of you. Yes, there are all kinds of places that have them the question I have is do they ALL work as advertised - that's why I wanted to hear from guys that had them working and what brand they were.
Doc - thanks, I will look them up and see what they have now.
John

The unit that I have had the most luck with is the Keyspan USA-19HS. This is the unit that Rose Point Software, maker of Coastal Explorer, recommends. I have had excellent service on both XP and Vista machines. I believe you might have to download a driver for use with Windows 7. Here's a link to the Rose Point website which details those USB/Serial adapters that work and those which are "problematic".

<a href="http://coastalexplorer.net/support/hardware/USB">http://coastalexplorer.net/support/hardware/USB

</a>

-- Edited by Steppen on Thursday 21st of October 2010 03:42:30 PM

Step - thanks for the info. I just purchased a USBGear adapter as recommended by Rose Point, figured that if it was good enough for them it would do me fine. Now all I need to do is bite the bullet and buy a lap-top May just use a desk top to start with as the wheelhouse has space for it and I am also thinking of adding a second monitor on the upper bridge rather than packing equipment back and forth plus there is no weather protection up there. That in itself may decide whether its a lap or desk unit.
Thanks to everyone for the information.

John Tones "Penta"

John:
Before you spend money on a new notebook, laptop, etc. , check out the Dell auction site. They bring in business leased notebooks etc., refurb them, and auction them off. Last*notebook I bought had all the bells and whistles from 3 years ago which runs Coastal Explorer quite nicely, spent $230 as I recall. I have no connection whatsoever w/ Dell.
Mike
Baton Rouge

-- Edited by Gulf Comanche on Thursday 21st of October 2010 06:35:29 PM

Mike - hey, thanks a lot for the tip regarding the Dell auction site. I had no idea that they had such a thing and after looking at what they are offering I can see myself saving a whole lot of money on a system. It's also great that they are sort of selling pieces rather than the normal "complete" systems as this way I can add what I need real easy.
Thanks again to you and all the rest of the gang who gave info.
John
"Penta"
Sidney, BC

Penta I have two GPS inputs to my laptop. One is via a pin connector (SITEX) which required a download. The other is*part of *the AIS input (Simrad) via USB. I can plug in one or both to the computer for the GPS signal. My point - if you want to download AIS into Nobletec you won't need to fuss with a pin connector.

Back
Top Bottom