Anchor chain connector link _ adding chain to existing chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphyost

Vessel Name
Say GoodBye
Vessel Make
21 Mako
Since the discussion about anchor chain is drawing so much interest, I thought I would throw this out.

I would like to add another 100 ft of chain to my existing 100ft chain (3/8 proof coil) and 100 ft of rope.

They make connector links like this one
[url]http://tinyurl.com/39lja83[/url]
which is rated at 2750 lbs whereas 3/8 proof coil galv chain is rated similarly at 2650 lbs strength.

Comments?

According to Ideal Windlass -
To connect more chain to existing chain, us a Drop forge connecting link, (or commonly called a split link) one side has holes the other side has pin. You join the chain together with the split link then hammer the pins of the split link.

R.

-- Edited by ralphyost on Tuesday 12th of October 2010 01:17:45 PM

I've used those kind of links in chains for pulling stumps, dragging logs and rocks. Never had a problem with them, never broke one.
My only question would be what happens to them when they start to corrode from salt water?

I used that exact type of connecting link on our previous boat. We were only in freshwater so not sure if there are any salt water issues with it, but we anchored out a lot on that boat and never had an issue with that connecting link. i would inspect it regularly and it never showed any wear, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on my boat again.

I considered adding 100 ft to my existing chain using one of those links, but after listening to many nay saying cautious folk, I rejected that idea in favor of buying a whole new chain that was long enough. Look at the galvanizing on your existing chain, estimate its remaining life, then decide.

I rejected that idea in favor of buying a whole new chain that was long enough

Agree 100%

Have used exactly that link on previous boats with no problem. I would happily use one again.

I used one of these to add 100 ft to our existing 225ft. In addition to peening the pins on the coupler, I had the pins spot welded. No problem with windlass and hopefully no problem in a (very) serious blow when we need all our chain out!!! By the way we use an 88lb Rocna on a 62,000lb Selene trawler.

-- Edited by Chrisjs on Tuesday 19th of October 2010 02:50:42 PM

I've used these before and have had success. Too much is made of them breaking.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 19th of October 2010 08:50:29 PM

Attachments

• chain link connector copy.jpg
    chain link connector copy.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 4,072
Spot welding the pins is actually a great idea. Like I said, I had used one of these on our previous boat and I will be ordering one again very soon to increase the length of our chain rhode. We've got a Lofrans Tigris windalss and come to find out, it only works with an all chain rhode unless i want to manually switch to the drum on other side of windlass but that is too much headache. I was hoping to be able to do a combo chain/rope rhode to reduce weight (100' chain, 200' rope) but no luck due to windlass.

Woodsong wrote:

Spot welding the pins is actually a great idea. Like I said, I had used one of these on our previous boat and I will be ordering one again very soon to increase the length of our chain rhode. We've got a Lofrans Tigris windalss and come to find out, it only works with an all chain rhode unless i want to manually switch to the drum on other side of windlass but that is too much headache. I was hoping to be able to do a combo*rope/chain rode to reduce weight (100' chain, 200' rope) but no luck due to windlass.
Well, they are not cheap, but you could replace the windlass with one that*works with*a rope and chain rode.* Just a thought.* Chain is heavy.

Can your windlass be converted to use a rope/chain rode?

Just an FYI, Ideal Windlass Company did recommend using a chain connector link to increase the chain length of my anchor rode.

R.

Ron, considering my windlass runs around $2,300 I think I will just run with it! I talked to the company...no way it seems to convert it to doing a combo rhode automatically. Only way to use combo rhode is to let the windlass do it's thing up to the end of the chain, then manually loop the rope over to the drum on other side of gypsy and manually feed rope to chain locker....too much hassle. I guess I should through on a piece of rope and see what it actually does...can't imagine why it would not take the rope but probably not.

Used one on my previous boat for several years with no problems

Back
Top Bottom