Interesting FL problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Left the slip Friday morning and half way out of the marine the buzzer came on and I looked down and saw no oil pressure on the port engine (SP225). Immediately reached down and hit the stop button. Decision time, turn around and head back to the slip on one engine or continue to the fuel dock and investigate. Turning around and getting into the slip on one engine was not a choice.

Got to the fuel dock and headed below expecting to either find five gallons of oil in the bilge or some loose wires. Neither one. Tried to start the engine and saw the oil pressure come up. Must be fuel related, lost oil pressure because the engine stopped running. Went to the other end and looked at the Racors and fuel lines. No problems there but noticed that the manual pump piston on the Bosch lift pump was sticking up rather than being screwed down. Pushed it down and screwed it down, problem solved. Apparently the lift pump does not pump when the engine is running if the manual pump piston is not secured.

In my panic when hearing the buzzer and seeing no oil pressure I didn't even realize that the engine had stopped.

Bob

Even if you were wrong, your instant reaction was right.

Absolutely. It takes no time to seize an engine when you have no oil pressure. Better to shut down and and figure it out than risk destroying an engine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Most times I am discovering the problem is always simpler than I first suspect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom