Minimalistic Approach to Power Cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it boils down to how simple a person prefers their life to be. Some people gravitate towards (rather than choosing to do so) complicated relationships or high octane/complex careers. Boating for them becomes an extention of their everyday life, so they prefer many complex systems on their boats. Other people prefer a more sedate existence where there is time and freedom to contemplate things other than the complicated needs of a boat.

Generalizations big enough to drive a Panzer through, I know, but remember that if it stings a little it means there's a kernel of truth to it ;)

I think it boils down to how simple a person prefers their life to be. Some people gravitate towards (rather than choosing to do so) complicated relationships or high octane/complex careers. Boating for them becomes an extention of their everyday life, so they prefer many complex systems on their boats. Other people prefer a more sedate existence where there is time and freedom to contemplate things other than the complicated needs of a boat.

Generalizations big enough to drive a Panzer through, I know, but remember that if it stings a little it means there's a kernel of truth to it ;)

Well put!

When I worked for a living , my employer paid to buy , install and maintain all the crap required for an Line air craft.

At 7 K a hand held GPS , VHF , autopilot , (manual input) and car sterio is about as complex as retirement cruising requires.

And yes a 12G saluting cannon to wake the bridge tenders.

When I think of boater minimalist I will always think about when Lin and Larry Pardley built the larger wooden sailboat and made the choice of installing a bath tub in the space designed for an engine. Of course having kerosene lanterns for light and navigating world wide with a sextant was what they had alway done. Larry being the master ship wright could repair any thing on the boat that was wood which was everything. The phrase "Wooden ships and iron men" always came to mind.

That driver should be stopped! The action of driving while dialing (especially while texting) is killing way too many innocent people.

This link is to a video that was made in Wales a few years ago. Called the "cow video" (short for Cowan, the main character's last name), the 30 minute video was made to illustrate the potential penalties for texting while driving.

The link below is to just the accident portion of the video. The entire video is also on-line. I sent this to a few of my co-workers when I first became aware of it, and they showed it to their kids. They said it was very effective in making them think twice about using their phones in the car....

http://<a href="http://vimeo.com/6261981" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/6261981</a>[U][COLOR=#22229c][URL]http://www.usdrivertraining.com/video-texting.php[/COLOR][/U]

Last edited:
This link is to a video that was made in Wales a few years ago. Called the "cow video" (short for Cowan, the main character's last name), the 30 minute video was made to illustrate the potential penalties for texting while driving.

The link below is to just the accident portion of the video. The entire video is also on-line. I sent this to a few of my co-workers when I first became aware of it, and they showed it to their kids. They said it was very effective in making them think twice about using their phones in the car....

[U][COLOR=#22229c][URL]http://www.usdrivertraining.com/video-texting.php[/COLOR][/U][/QUOTE] Thank you fo...kly visit night for when they come to dinner.

21st Century society has become addicted (hypnotized into) need for constant communication. Too much of it meaningless. Next level is implanted systems into a person's body. That too will become a hypnotic fad. Then there will be deeper high tech levels for control after that. We've sliding down a very slippery slope that will amount to pervasive, nearly total human control.

dark_frontier_336.jpg

We are Verizon. Lower your shields and surrender your independence. You will join our new unlimited talk and text family plan with free mobile to mobile. Resistance is futile.

We are Verizon. Lower your shields and surrender your independence. You will join our new unlimited talk and text family plan with free mobile to mobile. Resistance is futile.

EEEEEKKKKKK!!! :nonono: :angry: :devil: :cry::mad: :eek:

:facepalm:

Hmmm - I think I can drive a bicycle through it. To balance out my crazy high octane career, I live a simple life, simple relationship, simple boat, & don't own a cell phone.

That driver should be stopped! The action of driving while dialing (especially while texting) is killing way too many innocent people.

21st Century society has become addicted (hypnotized into) need for constant communication. Too much of it meaningless. Next level is implanted systems into a person's body. That too will become a hypnotic fad. Then there will be deeper high tech levels for control after that. We've sliding down a very slippery slope that will amount to pervasive, nearly total human control.

Notice the symbol for Apple computers/phones/communication devices??!! Eve was first. Too many are following. :facepalm:

Here using a mobile/cell phone while driving, unless it is bracket mounted and used hands free, is absolutely prohibited. The advertising slogan is:
"Get Your Hand Off It". Even hands free, a phone is a huge distraction, watch how the car speeds, slows, deviates and wanders. As for sending SMS/texts while driving,just madness.

Of course the irony is that more and more studies are showing that using a hands free phone is just as much a distraction and detriment to safety as holding the phone in your hand.

I'm talking about phone calls here. Obviously, texting or e-mailing while driving is way worse.

In a way this does come back to what you said earlier Marin. Regarding those of us who grew up in the steam radio, no TV, windaknob manual telephone era…yes…I did…on some farms we were on it was a party line as well, i.e. shared with several other, and you had to listen for the ring code sequence…remember those anyone..?

Anyway, to us, these new fangled gadgets are great, because we can see the huge advance in technology they represent, and what an improvement over what we had they are, but at the same time, we recognise we got by without, so we don't need to become a slave to them, and sleep with them under the bed, let alone try to use them while driving, or anything else that requires real concentration. Nor do we get withdrawal symptoms if we are separated from them for a time.

The generation that grew up knowing nothing else don't really appreciate them in the same way, i.e. as an extremely useful tool, but with us the master. They can't do without, and are almost slaves to them…so this issue of using them in totally inappropriate circumstances is not going to go away, and really hard to police. Maybe for their own sakes, (and ours), they do need to legislate for vehicles being fitted with something that blocks transmission, (but not reception,) unless the engine is off, if possible..?

Of course the irony is that more and more studies are showing that using a hands free phone is just as much a distraction and detriment to safety as holding the phone in your hand.

I'm talking about phone calls here. Obviously, texting or e-mailing while driving is way worse.

This is the reason the auto manufacturers are working so feverishly to develop self driving cars!:D

Can self driving boats be far behind?:rolleyes:

Getting back to the subject of minimalist power cruising I doubt you will find any. People who want to do that are drawn to sailboats because they think the wind is free thus it costs nothing or very little to cruise. In the beginning I thought that as well and cruised on a 25' sailboat. I had no idea there were economical powerboats. I like many rag baggers thought all power boats used 10 to 30 gallons of fuel per hour. We had a chance meeting with a couple on a trawler. When he told me he only used 1 1/2 gallons an hour I didn't believe him at first. After all my 6 hp outboard used 1/2 gph so how could his 36' boat only use 1 1/2?

After a little research I learned he wasn't lying to me. We had come over 2,000 miles in our little sailboat in about 13 months. In that time we had 6 or 7 beautiful magical perfect sailing days that makes you fall in love with sailing. The rest of the time we were motoring or motorsailing. Once we had this knowledge we decided to buy a single screw trawler. We came to realize that you can cruise on a trawler just as economically as a comparable sailboat. I have discussed this with my sailor brother who after time has agreed with me. A comparable sailboat has every system that my trawler has plus the spars, standing rigging, running rigging, and a host of unbelievably expensive winches, blocks, and other hardware. The wind is free, but it is not free to use it.

As far as a minimalist approach to power boating goes, I look at it this way. You set the boat up to be on the hook 99% of the time. There is no minimalist lifestyle in a marina. We have set our boat up to live at our comfort level and be away from marinas as much as possible. We went 11 months without being plugged into shore power. When we build our water maker it will be another big step toward independence. We do not have tv, satellite, or fancy radar or fancy anything for that matter. We do have simple systems and the comforts that are important to us like nice hot showers, and washing machine. We even have my wife's treadmill. Definitely not minimalist but simple.

http://<a href="http://vimeo.com/6261981" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/6261981</a>[U][COLOR=#22229c][URL]http://www.usdrivertraining.com/video-texting.php[/COLOR][/U][/QUOTE] Marin, thank...cause a young lady was driving while texting.

Great two posts Marin.
I'm open to another rant like that anytime.

Absolutely.

A lot of not-so-common sense and truth in there. And what works for one person/boat in one locale may not work for the fellow ten feet away. Nor for the guy across the country 20 degrees north or south.

One thing other forums seem to espouse regularly is the NECESSITY of knowing all before purchasing a "blue water" boat. I'm firmly in the realm of the need to be capable of learning.

Goodness knows I don't know it all. It tickles me to learn something new. Just yesterday I learned the hooking up a bonding system is arduous. I don't want to ever do that again. NEVER.

I did take pictures so there will be an article (the only saving grace of the process) and I am glad it's all done. Forever.

Ok, I'll bite. Apparently if you are "hooking up a bonding system" you dont have a clue. Maybe need a new post.

I had a Dyna-plate installed and not used. The wires that were there had corroded. And they were clipped. I reattached new 8-gauge and added a Post. 8-gauge rather than 6 because the maximum run of 10' from thru-hull to post.....

Seaweed is small. Three thru-hulls, the rudder post and skeg. Plus where the shaft goes through the hull. That's it for my girl.

Oh and what made it arduous is that the two thru-hulls in my cabin are UNDER the locker under my bunk. Everything there had to come out, then the shelf lifted and then I got to crawl in there.

I'm not as agile and flexible as I was when younger! It wasn't pretty. And I kept dropping the ratchet because I had to use my left hand and that side was damaged when I had the On Purpose.

An On Purpose is when the other driver is drunk. In my opinion it's not an accident.

Last edited:
Oki, I understand the rudder post and skeg, but if you bonded the thru hull you "really" dont have a clue.

Bronze thru-hulls beneath the waterline don't get bonded? That's news to me.

Bronze thru-hulls beneath the waterline don't get bonded? That's news to me.

We have eleven holes in the bottom of our boat, and all the through-hulls (bronze) are tied into the boat's bonding system.

2 theories on it.....both work..I believe ABYC says yes but Europe sorta says no.

Check Calder if you don't believe me.

If there are two theories or strategies to this, why is a person "clueless" for choosing one over the other? Not sure what make of this type of dialog among friends...

Kevin
Portland, OR

If there are two theories or strategies to this, why is a person "clueless" for choosing one over the other? Not sure what make of this type of dialog among friends...

Kevin
Portland, OR

Hang around and you will see that is pretty much the norm. Boaters are a funny crowd. If you are having a problem most will go out of their way to help you, but in discussing anything if you do something different than them you are considered totally ignorant.

Kevin
Portland, OR

Ditto here K44. We have been through a pretty good handful of "experts" on the forum since it started that felt compelled to bluntly state their "facts" irregardless of how it came out. Things will go a lot smoother around here if we all use a little courtesy when making our point.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

You are correct. I apologize. 30 years of studying and applying electrical theory. I forget that everyone does not question why, only do as they have been told or seen. As ps said, read Caulders book. Not just read, study, ask, study more, until you REALLY understand. Insurance companies are the reason for bonding. It only applies to wooden boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom