View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #163
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
In a way this does come back to what you said earlier Marin. Regarding those of us who grew up in the steam radio, no TV, windaknob manual telephone era…yes…I did…on some farms we were on it was a party line as well, i.e. shared with several other, and you had to listen for the ring code sequence…remember those anyone..?

Anyway, to us, these new fangled gadgets are great, because we can see the huge advance in technology they represent, and what an improvement over what we had they are, but at the same time, we recognise we got by without, so we don't need to become a slave to them, and sleep with them under the bed, let alone try to use them while driving, or anything else that requires real concentration. Nor do we get withdrawal symptoms if we are separated from them for a time.

The generation that grew up knowing nothing else don't really appreciate them in the same way, i.e. as an extremely useful tool, but with us the master. They can't do without, and are almost slaves to them…so this issue of using them in totally inappropriate circumstances is not going to go away, and really hard to police. Maybe for their own sakes, (and ours), they do need to legislate for vehicles being fitted with something that blocks transmission, (but not reception,) unless the engine is off, if possible..?