Why a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liquid Living

I need some advice.* We currently spent our summers (wife and I are teachers) on1987 34 ft.Silverton *flybridge convertable. We are set to retire in 3 years. We will then spend spring, summer and fall living on the boat in Boston Harbor.* We*would like to*upgrade to accommodate our*up and coming *life style.**We are thinking of going to a* trawler instead of anothe F/B Conv.** Seems to be much more exterior space which is*where we spend most of our time, outside on the boat. Mainship seems to be the* only brand to come up on Yachtworld.com when I*input the length (35-40 ft.) and price*($100.000 - $200.000) and year (1995 - 2005). Why*are Mainship Trawlers so plentifully available?

Mainships are a lot of boat for the money. Multiple design changes over the years you mention so educate yourself on differences. Cabin is small for it's size but great flybridge alyout. Very good boats for the money.

I'm not sure why only Mainship is coming up. You may want to pick up a Soundings magazine at West Marine and look under the Trawler for sale section for other brands to consider.

try changing the search fields I put in 35-45 feet
1995-2008, keyword trawler, price 100,000-200,000
It turned up about 150 trawlers of many manufacturers many more Mainships than any other.
Good Luck!
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 07:54:40 PM

Liquid Living wrote:Why*are Mainship Trawlers so plentifully available?
They sell more than any other trawler brand. Great boats for the money!

Another thought, yachtworld is occasionally buggy with my browser (Safari) and in addition to clearing the search form rather than overtyping I have on a couple of occasions also had to clear the cache to get the search to run properly.
If you are running Safari and previously did a Mainship search try a cache clear because Safari is probably filling that box in every time you search...

Why are Mainship Trawlers so plentifully available?

HOWEVER they may NOT be useful for your desirements.

Met folks on the Rideau that were homeward bound , under extreme duress , due to the short comings of the boat.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Liquid Living wrote:Why*are Mainship Trawlers so plentifully available?

If they are so great, why is everyone selling their's?
biggrin.gif

It does sorta beg that question, doesn't it?

they are so great, why is everyone selling their's?
biggrin.gif
I might point out there are more Chevrolet's and Fords listed in the ads than Porsche's or Ferrari's.

In some models of mainship there were over 300 built in a five to six year period, not true with Selene or GB or Nordhavn.

It is what it is.

FF wrote:

Met folks on the Rideau that were homeward bound , under extreme duress , due to the short comings of the boat.

I am curious- what shortcomings were they experiencing with the boat on the Rideau?

RE: yachtworld and safari- YW does NOT like safari. *It is much easier to browse YW via firefox!!

If they are so great, why is everyone selling their's?*
Everyone is not selling theirs. The Ford/Chevy analogy is accurate.
Great boat...I owned one...would recommend them to anyone. Why do I not still
have one?* Like cars, I wanted to try out another model.

Mainship just changed all their model names on Wednesday October 20, 2010. Or perhaps they changed all their models.

"I am curious- what shortcomings were they experiencing with the boat on the Rideau?"

Actually the larger American locks were the big hassle.

AFT, The boat had hawse holes to look nice while tied to a dock stern to ,

but the lines on the locks were far too long and heavy for a 70ish couple to drag thru the hole and tend going up or down.

FWD , the cleats were so tiny that the line could not even be slid under one horn.

Their request from the factory , BRAND NEW BOAT , built for the trip ,for big useable cleats, could not be done , as well as their request for a good sized midship cleat.

Personally I would have told the factory to stuff the boat , but with much of their life savings plunked down , and all the planning they went ahead and accepted the useless vessel.

It was pityful to watch the valiant effort of this older couple to simply hang on to the lock lines , as they endured for their entire trip , in a failed (every time) effort to control. the vessel.

In pity we simply took them alongside and rode the pipe with our midship cleated line.

There is more to a boat than a pretty interior.

Someone got a bargain boat!!

-- Edited by FF on Friday 22nd of October 2010 04:26:54 AM

A couple sold a boat because the cleats weren't right? Wow. I'd guess there were a whole lot of other reasons, 'cause fixing deck cleats shouldn't be a major undertaking even if the factory wouldn't do it.** Maybe they sold because* ashtrays were full, and the fuel tank empty....

From my experience living in a community of mostly retired people, many couples come here with the dream of owning their first boat, find Mainships, etc. a good fit for coastal cruising, then after a few years, tire of the whole boating thing and "retire" again, and sell the boat. Nothing wrong with it, just time for them to move on.

-- Edited by ARoss on Friday 22nd of October 2010 05:51:41 AM

hmmm. selling a boat just b/c of cleats....had to be something more than that going on. The mainship 390/400 is a great boat for it's intended purpose and a good amount of boat for the money. Granted, it's not a porsche but it's not a yugo either.

selling a boat just b/c of cleats

No because the boat was unsuitable for their use.

With lined plopped in interior headliners simply changing the cleats would have been a few hours work at the factory to perhaps create a bigger better backing plate (if one was used) and drill a few holes. Aft would be loads harder .

The dissapointment of having their dreams FAIL, caused them to simply give up.

Perhaps a grand or two in a good yard could have "saved the day" although a survey before acceptance might have helped.

Many novices DO NOT KNOW what to look for , and never get passed the interior in purchasing a boat.

These are the folks , the wannabees the gonna bees that used to get some help at the PM site , hopefully they will find someplace to learn.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom