View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #34
Tony B
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Statewide licensing of boat operators began in all Alabama counties July 17, 1997 under the Boating Safety Reform Act. You must be at least 12 years of age to operate a motorized vessel on Alabama's waterways. You also must be licensed. A written examination is required for applicants, except those who were 40 or older on April 28, 1994, or those who have successfully completed boating courses given by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, the U.S. Power Squadron or the Alabama Marine Police "Boating Basics" course. The vessel class "V" must be added to your license if you intend to operate a motorized vessel. This legislation, which also provides sanctions for drunken driving and other offenses, has been hailed as the toughest boating safety act in the country.

EXEMPTIONS

Boat operators from outside Alabama, either 12 years old or above, can sail their boat on Alabama waters for a period of 45 days without an Alabama boating license. For more than 45 days, they must either use their out-of-state boating license or apply for an Alabama Non-Resident Vessel Operator's License. If the out-of-state operator is between 12-14 years of age, he/she should be accompanied by a driver who is 21 years or older and has a current operating license onboard, or is exempt from getting a license for 45 days for being a non-resident in Alabama, to help in the case of an emergency.

You can take the boaters safety course on line. Also if you have any USCG boating license, you wont need to be licensed in Alabama.

I don't think this is unreasonable. Piss puddles are not considered waterways since they don't contain any navigable routes.
I don't need a boaters license in Alabama because of several exclusions; not staying more than 45 consecutive days, born before 1952 and holder on 100 Ton masters. Did I take the boaters safety course? Yes. Why? Because my wife wanted to take it even though she was not required to and so I also was a paying attendee.

I am still not suffering any harmful effects by taking a day out of my life for the boaters safety course.