Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right ... well it appears my beautiful bride saved my arse yet again. Flic suggested I check bridge heights before I go making AXE any taller. I'd did and whadda ya know! I can't put a radar mast up, or at least just yet anyway.

The lowest bridge clearance I have to allow for every time I take the boat out is 3.9mtrs at high tide. At a rough guess of where the waterline will sit to the top of the roof is about 3.0mtrs.

That's a 900mm buffer. It may well be that she will sit lower than I guessed which will be great because it will open the gap but the opposite may also happen and she'll sit higher closing the gap.

Either way it's too close for a tower so I'll plonk everything on the roof panels.

On the plus side, at least It was figured out now and not when we've started to go under the bridge!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Matt - That's a near duplicate to mine. I do not recommend ever pressure washing near or actually on the FURNO name. I did. Before I realized the letters were tearing off. Soooo, in my wisdom, I thought to myself... self... it will look nice all white... therefore I continued pressure washing till all letters were gone. Soon it became evident that the shattered pieces of lettering (1/16" to 1/2" jagged, irregular o.d.) had randomly flown around and hundreds had become flat against my fly bridge front as well as up on its pilot station's fiberglass dashboard. :facepalm:

That was over six years ago. Besides the fact that the blue FURNO name pieces all were extremely well affixed to where they landed (hours of detailed clean up) - I occasionally to this day find a random piece in some joint somewhere on or around the bridge! :eek:

Good luck in your installation. :thumb:

Hahaha oh man I PMSL ... Only because I've done the exact same thing before Hahahaha.

I just got the bow roller mounted along with a new anchor winch (and re-cored the foredeck) just before I left for work. Its looking fairly snazzy with all that nose jewellery. The roller turned out to be a perfect fit for my Marsh stockless anchor. :Thanx:
I still have a bit of fiberglass work and wiring for the winch when I get home next week. I'll get some snapshots then.

Sweet. Yeah post up some pics mate. Would love to see it.

Matt, just an observation. Your interior panelling looks really good, but I would urge you to leave gaps in the panelling for venting. Wood structures like air, many of the numerous boats I looked at before buying had venting issues. Maybe a beer or two with an old-time wooden boat builder might help (the beer alone is a good idea)?

Now, having stood up on my hind legs, I have no idea how the extensive application of the epoxies you are using might change that?

Thanks mate. Yeah it's always at the forefront of my mind since Mr RT highlighted the issue :)

Yeah I've had a chat to a few old timers that used to build timber boats. As soon as I mention plywood and epoxy instead of caulking and planking they all just seem to lose interest lol. Different technologies I guess.

Greetings,

Haha I liked that music until they started singing haha.

I got all excited thinking I could use that music on the AXE film I will make once she's launched.

I can safely say that won't make the film. Sorry RT

Right ... well it appears my beautiful bride saved my arse yet again. Flic suggested I check bridge heights before I go making AXE any taller. I'd did and whadda ya know! I can't put a radar mast up, or at least just yet anyway.

The lowest bridge clearance I have to allow for every time I take the boat out is 3.9mtrs at high tide. At a rough guess of where the waterline will sit to the top of the roof is about 3.0mtrs.

That's a 900mm buffer. It may well be that she will sit lower than I guessed which will be great because it will open the gap but the opposite may also happen and she'll sit higher closing the gap.

Either way it's too close for a tower so I'll plonk everything on the roof panels.

On the plus side, at least It was figured out now and not when we've started to go under the bridge!

Why do women have to be so damned smart?:D

I liked the band RT. I could understand the words better than any American rock band.

Been a week of getting goodies this week. Got a call from the marine wholesaler saying my items are ready for collection so I left work early and shot down and picked them up. I also swung past the boat, grabbed the helm and bought it home so I could start fitting some of the gear.

I wanted a nice big compass so got a 135mm offshore one. I must admit, I didn't put much thought into how the items would fit. It was a case of I wanted it so I bought it. I've been very lucky with how close I was to these items not fitting! The compass had about 5mm to play with, the Furuno MFD had about the same. I couldn't have planned it that close of I tried. More arse than class, that I am sure of.

I opted for a rear mount helm over the traditional front mount. It's going to give it a sleek/less bulky look around the wheel. I grabbed an external filler setup and mounted it behind the S/steel drink holder.

The helm is a UP39R with positive lock gearing. It's a bit of overkill for my size boat but I've gone one size up on most of the items I buy. I'd rather underwork a big item than overwork a smaller item.

The steering cylinder is a UC215i.

I also grabbed the 60psi fresh water pump and two Hotshot 6 wash down kits (one for the transom and one for the bow)

The steering wheel is 350mm and am sure it won't be many peoples cup of tea, but for me it was love at first sight and will blend in well with its surrounds when the interior is complete. It's Italian made with black leather with polished S/steel inserts.

I grabbed the drink holders cause I've not seen them before and they look different and I like that.

I grabbed a couple of other things like the water and diesel fillers and two wash down quick connect sets and the antennae mount for the GPS receiver.

I've got to trim the bolts for the steering pump but the bloody grinder is at the boat so it'll have to wait till tomorrow. Can't wait to fit it and see the wheel on there!

All that's left to buy is the Lowrance HDS10 then that's the helm complete; besides painting that is

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769661.981505.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769685.469055.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769732.095837.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769750.928437.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769799.960084.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769817.710750.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769839.058539.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769865.409886.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769884.850265.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769908.044058.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417769938.022214.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Yeah it's always at the forefront of my mind since Mr RT highlighted the issue :)
Yeah I've had a chat to a few old timers that used to build timber boats. As soon as I mention plywood and epoxy instead of caulking and planking they all just seem to lose interest lol. Different technologies I guess.

Matt, a lot of timber boats were built in NZ using marine ply and the West Epoxy system. They even made water-ballasted trailer yachts using that approach, and they proved excellent & very sound. You may well have researched that system already, but if not I'd Google it for sure.

Cheers,

Your self designed, custom control station...

WOW!!! :thumb:

Love that racy pilots wheel" :smitten:

Matt,
That looks like a very small helm. Do you have power steering?

Matt,
That looks like a very small helm. Do you have power steering?

Hi mate.
Very small helm?

Helm or Helm pump? We must be calling helms different things cause the helm I built is 900mm wide and 1250mm high and 500mm deep.

Give me a description of what you're referring to mate.

Nope no power steering mate. The steering helm pump is a UP39R and handles upwards of 1000psi and 1503lbs of thrust with positive rudder lock.

Spent the better part of the day today in the bilge. I installed the toilet intake and toilet outlet thru-hulls as well as the shower outlet. I also installed the steering cylinder, the steering hoses had a clean up and went and started fitting the ply on the bed.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417861174.797894.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417861232.551278.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417861266.514743.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417861329.140891.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417861350.499782.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417861483.690839.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417861620.875223.jpg

G'day mate.
Thanks for your post. Oh little by little mate ?

Sorry Not seen that movie. Is it a good one?

Sent from myes it y iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Yes it is a funny one

Yes it is a funny one

Cool well I'll put that in the 'To Watch' book for a lazy day.

You're new to posting on my thread ay? Not seen your handle in here before.

Welcome.

Have you got any projects on the go?

Well that's another weekend done and dusted.

Today I finished off the bed and started on one of the wardrobes. One is between the toilet and the bed and the other will be between the shower and the bed. They will be his and hers. I've told Flic they aren't massive but will be functional. They are 2000 x 500 x 500

Atm they are his and hers but Might turn into hers and hers once Flic has a say lol.

That's her for another week. Got heaps on at work so won't be playing in AXE much during the week this week.

Cheers

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417945251.327515.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417945272.120226.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417945447.265625.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417945517.674177.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417945546.378347.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417945620.483684.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417945643.862545.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Was this boat ever just a keelson with a few ribs sticking up…?
Hendo, I'm beginning to feel…you know…intheorier again...

Was this boat ever just a keelson with a few ribs sticking up…?
Hendo, I'm beginning to feel…you know…intheorier again...

Yup, I had to refresh my memory and went back to page one. Amazing. I admit that I had my doubts at the start. I've seen better looking carcasses in the mud in the Port River.
Matt, you are a Magician!

Attachments

• image-3941144596.jpg
    image-3941144596.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 372
Yup, I had to refresh my memory and went back to page one. Amazing. I admit that I had my doubts at the start. I've seen better looking carcasses in the mud in the Port River.
Matt, you are a Magician!

Lol oh god looking at that pic made me vomit in my mouth a little lol haha

Yeah look I admit, I made a mistake taking that on in the condition it was. I don't regret it, and I'm sure It'll be some of the happiest days of my life when I finish but I'd never do it again!

Thanks for your kind words mate! ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom