View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
How many GPS Antennas?

Thinking about reducing the mushroom farm on the top of the pilot house. Think I removed 5 or 6 antennas in preparation for painting. While some have specific purpose such as the satellite link for SIRRUS / XM, I think I have 3 that are tied to plotters or the nmea 2000 network. These are the older Garmin GPS 17 antennas with the slower position acquisition (1per second) rate. Was planning on upgrading to the faster GPS 19 antenna which acquisitions up to 10 times per second. Both plotters are tied to the nmea 2000 network, so I'm wondering why not just have one antenna on the network in stead of 2 or 3 tied to individual devices. Also, I have one antenna tied to a plotter and my Simrad AP20 pilot. This one outputs nmea 0183 at a slower rate. My plotter outputs nmea 0183, so I see no reason to to have a slower antenna just because it's tied to the pilot. That plotter can can give the pilot all the course and speed information it needs on its nmea 0183 port. See no reason to have a slower aquisition rate on that plotter. Does this sound reasonable, or am I missing something?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote