Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hendo-just remember that behind every successful man is a good woman-and you have a good one!

Or as the other half of the human race may say;

Behind every successful woman is a good man.

Or

Behind every successful woman is a good woman

Or

Behind every successful man is someone cleaning up after him.

Speaking of behinds,that reminds me of the storey of a goat & Greek guy in a bar.

(sorry, time for my blue pill)

Cracked on with the fwd cabin roof framing and sheeting.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417251874.760614.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417251904.769929.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417251942.228856.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417252011.310022.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417252049.456709.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417252117.373059.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417252147.083383.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417252184.206257.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Matt me Mate...

Your truck is starting to look mighty small next to the Good Ship AXE! You have a storage place for it aboard so you can heave a get-around vehicle while visiting different ports?? - LOL!!

Keep on Getting It On!! :thumb: - Art

LOL well I was going to keep it a surprise but my ute is not just a ute. One flick of a switch and wa la .. Haha ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417261561.271948.jpg

Gee, you're good with your hands, Matt. Makes me feel very intheorior.

(Meaning = I thought I was good with my hands, but clearly only in theory)

There is definitely a boat in the backyard. Go Matt!

Matt,

Here is a blog from a guy that is in a similar build that you may find interesting. M/V She:Kon

Yeah that guy has a thread on here somewhere. Iv read little bits of it. Stitch and glue, not ribbed framework like my baby is. Was following for a little while but he keeps directing you to go and follow that external blog of his. That not my cup of tea so stop watching.

Thanks anyway ?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Well I've started making a Radar Tower. Had some off cuts laying around the garage so figured I'd have a play and see what I come up with.

Early stages but I pretty sure you can see what I'm aiming for as a finished product.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417672657.292223.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417672677.477794.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417672703.351645.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417672728.315440.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417672747.580064.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417672768.617477.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417672794.105686.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417672808.984466.jpg

Coming along nicely, Hendo.

Looks like she might fly!

Coming along nicely, Hendo.

Looks like she might fly!

Yeah might paint it red and put a white roo on the side ;-) ... Been meaning to ask ta how your bow roller went. Got any pics?

Well I got some pressies this week.

My Furuno RDP-149 with the 320 GPS receiver arrived on Monday just in time for my birthday and today the Furuno RDP-118 and 1832 Radome arrived.

Put all of this together with the Lowrance HDS12 or the Garmin 1040XS I am yet to buy and AXE can lend herself to the Australian Navy as a warship haha.

I can't thank dimer2 enough for his extreme generosity and his patients during the posting process.

I've never had radar or seen a radome up close and I must say; its fkn huge! It has dwarfed the tower I made today so I'll have to either make a bigger one or put the radome straight on the roof instead and leave the tower for smaller items!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417682300.603390.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417682323.499771.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417682350.431671.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417682371.502062.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417682389.404913.jpg

Last edited:
Hendo,
It is all looking good. Hang in there bud and soon it will be easy street any you will be out cruising around Roto.
Cheers
Benn

Don't forget the higher the radome is the better the reception, picture and range will be.
Build a new mast , it will be worth it, trust me.
Cheers
Benn

Matt, thought I would send this along for maybe an idea or two for you.

Attachments

• mast weblog.jpg
    mast weblog.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 328
Yeah I like it. Is this moonstruck?

Yeah, that is the mast on Moonstruck. Two GPS receiver antennae on the "wings", steaming & anchor lights on top, remote operated spot light on forward "wings" point and radar antenna forward.

Yeah, that is the mast on Moonstruck. Two GPS receiver antennae on the "wings", steaming & anchor lights on top, remote operated spot light on forward "wings" point and radar antenna forward.

Thanks mate. Do you mind if I use this pic for reference when building mine? I like it

Thanks mate. Do you mind if I use this pic for reference when building mine? I like it

No problem with that. I just posted in case it would be of help.

That looks very nice. Do you know what your air draft is? I can't make out any hinges but your avatar looks like your boat has a fairly low profile.

Matt - That's a near duplicate to mine. I do not recommend ever pressure washing near or actually on the FURNO name. I did. Before I realized the letters were tearing off. Soooo, in my wisdom, I thought to myself... self... it will look nice all white... therefore I continued pressure washing till all letters were gone. Soon it became evident that the shattered pieces of lettering (1/16" to 1/2" jagged, irregular o.d.) had randomly flown around and hundreds had become flat against my fly bridge front as well as up on its pilot station's fiberglass dashboard. :facepalm:

That was over six years ago. Besides the fact that the blue FURNO name pieces all were extremely well affixed to where they landed (hours of detailed clean up) - I occasionally to this day find a random piece in some joint somewhere on or around the bridge! :eek:

Good luck in your installation. :thumb:

Yeah might paint it red and put a white roo on the side ;-) ... Been meaning to ask ta how your bow roller went. Got any pics?

I just got the bow roller mounted along with a new anchor winch (and re-cored the foredeck) just before I left for work. Its looking fairly snazzy with all that nose jewellery. The roller turned out to be a perfect fit for my Marsh stockless anchor. :Thanx:
I still have a bit of fiberglass work and wiring for the winch when I get home next week. I'll get some snapshots then.

Matt, just an observation. Your interior panelling looks really good, but I would urge you to leave gaps in the panelling for venting. Wood structures like air, many of the numerous boats I looked at before buying had venting issues. Maybe a beer or two with an old-time wooden boat builder might help (the beer alone is a good idea)?

Now, having stood up on my hind legs, I have no idea how the extensive application of the epoxies you are using might change that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom