My Anchor "Test"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see these anchoring threads frequently and I just do not know what all the fuss is.

We have run Bruce Knockoffs on all of our boats over the years, and never needed to spend a thousand dollars on a special brand anchor to keep our boat in one spot.

Put out a decent scope, set the anchor, and set an anchor watch on the gps then relax.

Geez... is it really that hard :banghead:

That's what we do. Chapmans explains anchoring pretty well and that's a good place to start. I think it's easier to learn to do something if you understand what you are doing rather than just memorizing tasks. Chapmans explains it and shows diagrams. "Scope" may be the hardest thing to explain to a new boater but Chapmans does it very well.

Having an anchor drag alarm feature on the plotter and not using it sounds a little dumb.

Last edited:
I never knew anchoring was so complicated until these forums started. For years and years I simply let out the hook on appropriate scope and kept an eye out without incident. Who knew I was flirting with catastrophe?

Ok when you say set the anchor do you mean drop it or really set it? I have yet to drag anchor. When I set my anchor I set it. Drop it pay out the proper scope then back down on it up to quarter throttle. I have to say. I'm usually on vergin bottom little chance of debris. When backing down you can tell by a hand on the rode. You can feel the anchor skip, drag or hook and dig in. I use the claw. I do set the alarm. In short I test my anchor every set

When anchoring, you need to light some incense, while holding your best yoga position, and then sacrifice a virgin.

The alternative approach of a good anchor in the right location, with appropriate scope and correctly set is totally ineffective. It is a vicious lie spread by those boats who have run out of virgins :)

I do use a virgin. I thought it was called single malt.

I never knew anchoring was so complicated until these forums started. For years and years I simply let out the hook on appropriate scope and kept an eye out without incident. Who knew I was flirting with catastrophe?

You don't consider the current and wind direction and you don't back down on the anchor?

You are pretty lucky.

He also didn't say he shut down his engine, but I didn't assume he leaves it running.

You don't consider the current and wind direction and you don't back down on the anchor?

You are pretty lucky.

Some boat in locations where the current changes every 7 hours or so, winds are never constant and scope has to calculated taking into account 15+ feet of tidal change. It may be a bit more rigorous than the Carolinas.

But I'm with Delfin, set it and be smart - seems to work just fine.

In your post #32 "I simply let out the hook on appropriate scope and kept an eye out without incident."

And when I set the anchor you presume that wind and tide are ignored? What an odd, and oddly weird assumption.

This is great. reminds me of a Marx bit. What do you say RT

Delf, on this occasion we are in total accord..!

Big difference between anchoring with a substantial anchor and a modern watchfob.

That looks like my Polar navy program used on my laptop. That track looks horrible. The wind must have been really blowing hard. That also looks like a pier you got real close to. Yikes !!

I use this whenever I am nervous due to wind or current. That way I can tell exact what the boat did while I was sleeping and before my new Delta, I could tell when and where we dragged and reset.

That's in addition to drag queen!
But to be honest the number of times I've gotten on the dingy, motored away, and while walking on the dock, I hear a strange noise emanating from my pocket, are too numerous to list.

I see these anchoring threads frequently and I just do not know what all the fuss is.

We have run Bruce Knockoffs on all of our boats over the years, and never needed to spend a thousand dollars on a special brand anchor to keep our boat in one spot.

Put out a decent scope, set the anchor, and set an anchor watch on the gps then relax.

Geez... is it really that hard :banghead:

That's about it: thumbs:

And when I set the anchor you presume that wind and tide are ignored? What an odd, and oddly weird assumption.

Whatever dude. I think your response to the question left a few things out. Now you are trying to backtrack. Just be sure to look behind you first. :banghead:

I use this whenever I am nervous due to wind or current. That way I can tell exact what the boat did while I was sleeping and before my new Delta, I could tell when and where we dragged and reset.

That's in addition to drag queen!
But to be honest the number of times I've gotten on the dingy, motored away, and while walking on the dock, I hear a strange noise emanating from my pocket, are too numerous to list.

The interesting thing about looking at the overnight track when anchored is seeing how far your boat moved while you were sleeping. And without using any fuel. ;)

Whatever dude. I think your response to the question left a few things out. Now you are trying to backtrack. Just be sure to look behind you first. :banghead:

You never know where Trolls are lurking. :eek:

What is a troll?

An ugly, semi-human creature of mostly bad disposition who generally takes up residence under a bridge.

Or... a person who posts to internet forums, mailing lists, or newsgroups with the specific purpose of stirring up controversy, argument, and personal attacks.

Here is a photo of a Seattle troll. It lives pretty much full time under the Aurora Avenue (Highway 99) bridge. Legend has it that one way to lure it out is by dragging a Bruce anchor in front of it. Apparently it likes to eat them.

Attachments

• Troll.jpg
    Troll.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
A true troll story:

In Weston, CT there is a little automobile and pedestrian bridge across a stream in a heavily wooded residential area. One day there appeared the words "Beware of Trolls" painted on the bridge railing. The town fathers did not like this defacement and sent a crew out to remove it. The next day it appeared again.

Once again it was removed, and again it reappeared. This scenario continued for months. Finally, the town fathers caved. They removed the paint for one last time and carved the words "Beware of Trolls" on the bridge railing. And, even after the old bridge was removed and a new one constructed, the carving remains.

All the locals now call it the Troll Bridge. Howard

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 104
Howard, this isn`t just a spelling error is it? Was there ever a "toll" to cross the bridge?

Ha, ha. Talk about thread drift. BTW, my Manson Supreme, unlike a CQR, Fortress, or Danforth, has no moving parts. This is a definite advantage when anchored near trolls. Howard

I hear about people dragging all the time. My question is how in world does anyone get any sleep without setting an anchor alarm? sometimes I set two. Most of the time I sleep in the V-berth so I can hear wind as it picks up. Plus its cooler up there too. I still dont get it. I completely understand dragging. Anybody can get a bad break and anchor in grass or a tree top preventing the anchor setting. Everybody has their own technique setting the hook but not having an anchor/ drag alarm is total crazy.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Back
Top Bottom