Maiden Voyage and delivery...Oriental to Washington NC....>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
On my "New to me" Cape Dory 28. Not a long trip (60 miles/8hours) but our first on the newly purchased CD...

Saturday morning started out perfectly...Would get up to 65 degrees before the day was out. Morning in Oriental from our slip (Photo by Chris):

12591813_5824313648066141172_n-vi.jpg

Leaving town at 8:30 was pretty uneventful:

IMG_0012-vi.jpg

My Crew...wife Susan and son Chris. The Arty pics were taken by him:

IMG_0018-vi.jpg

Susan getting into Cruising..

susan-vi.jpg

Conditions were calm out on the Neuse when we left in the morning..Winds picked up later but still mild conditions (photo by Chris)

85447413_3941509981058951786_n-vi.jpg

Underway.....all systems working well:

IMG_0016-vi.jpg

IMG_0030-vi.jpg

Some interesting sites on the ICW cut-through to the Pamlico:

IMG_0027-vi.jpg

IMG_0024-vi.jpg

IMG_0025-vi.jpg

8 hours to Washington NC...

IMG_0034-vi.jpg

Seagull greeter and watchbird.....

IMG_0037-vi.jpg

IMG_0040-vi.jpg

In at 4:30....Uneventful trip (thank goodness)

20141130_165542-vi.jpg

And finally tucked away in our slip Monday Morning:

IMG_0043-vi.jpg

We've decided to stay here at the Washington Waterfront for next season. It's a charming, sleepy little town at the upper end of the Pamlico. Lots of restaurants within walking distance, a 1.5 mile boardwalk to exercise on, The nicest heads you've ever seen, and several waterfront festivals throughout the year. Bonus is this is 25 miles from the house. Should be fun and a good base for next seasons cruising.. Thanks all for the information, encouragement and camaraderie here on the TF...

Last edited:
BIG Congrats! :thumb:

nice

You're getting off on the right foot with an uneventful 8 hr maiden cruise.

Nice looking boat!!

Always loved the Cape Dory, really nice lines. Now all you need is to switch with that big aft cabin boat next to you to get some air! ;-)

All the best with your new vessel.

Always loved the Cape Dory, really nice lines. Now all you need is to switch with that big aft cabin boat next to you to get some air! ;-)

All the best with your new vessel.

Ha ha! Yes, I actually will be switching to the outer slip. That Ocean Alexander was just purchased by the owners and they will be leaving for the Bahamas this week... Should get me out in clean air and provide a buffer from the Dock walkers...

Thanks! She's a jaunty little trawler...

Calm waters for the maiden voyage on a gorgeous boat! Congrats & bet it feels great to have her safely docked near home. :)

How did she handle?

Calm waters for the maiden voyage on a gorgeous boat! Congrats & bet it feels great to have her safely docked near home. :)

How did she handle?

Thanks Starside! Despite being away from a "Big" boat for 16 years It was just like riding a bike...You never forget. She handled great, First docking like a pro (I credit the bow thruster!). My crew settled right into the routine like they'd never been away. I'll see you up on the Chesapeake this summer!

Very nice!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Congratulations on your new boat. The CD 28 is one of the best pocket downeast cruisers ever built. I sold my gas powered CD28 a few years ago for a larger downeast style boat, the Mainship Pilot 34, but I still miss the CD.

I assume yours is a diesel powered model, probably with the Volvo 200 hp TAMD40. Consider taking out the table in the middle of the cabin. It really opens up the cabin with it gone and makes engine access much easier.

We live in Oriental and have cruised to most of the places on the Neuse R, Pamlico and Albermarle Sounds. From Washington you have a lot of choices: Nearby Bath at the state park dock is charming. There is a nice week long loop cruise you can make- Washington to Edenton to Manteo then to Ocracoke and back up the Pamlico River back home. But don't do it until at least May of next year.

David

Congratulations on your new boat. The CD 28 is one of the best pocket downeast cruisers ever built. I sold my gas powered CD28 a few years ago for a larger downeast style boat, the Mainship Pilot 34, but I still miss the CD.

David

David..Thanks! Yes, really liking the CD28....I specifically went looking for one and coincidentally found this one right here near our home. She has a fresh 200hp Volvo so we're good to go. The table was out being refinished, so we did get spoiled with the additional moving around room!
Thanks for the cruise tips...we plan to do all that this summer as we explore the area, then up to the Chesapeake to visit old haunts...

Well, that's about as good as it gets. Great boat, great trip, great weather, home safe!

Great looking boat, well done! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom