Mesh tarps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

High Wire

Guru
Vessel Name
Irish Lady
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Down here in FL in the storage yards, many boats have a porous mesh tarp draped over the boats. Never seen one in NJ. Whats the value of a cover that lets the sun shine through? Can't find them for sale either. Do they have a product name?

The tarp cuts the sun damage down .

They also last , a blue tarp is only good for a month or two in sumnmmer.

They also allow the rain water to evaporate easily.

A tight blue tarp may keep the water from evaporating raising havoc with deck sealing.

THey block some of the UV while being unaffected for the most part by wind. Also, water won't pool on them. We used some mesh tarp to make a boom tent on our sailboat for hot, sunny days at anchor. Becuase the wind could blow through it, we were able to use it while motoring, as well.

We got our first one (black) from Harbor Freight. We subsequently bought additional ones over the interweb that were the same color as the boat canvas (blue) and the right shape size for the areas we wanted to cover.

I guess some shade is better than none.

Our aft deck is enclosed with EZ2CY. We have a similar material in white on the inside , look just like window screens. They drop the temperature by a solid 10degrees on average. You can see out perfectly fine but provide great privacy from the dock. Needless to say we love em.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

In storage they also block leaves and debris from accumulating and collecting on deck and in cockpit drains.

Shade cloth is certainly popular in Australia, although I don't see it on boats very often. Mainly for sunshades over car parking areas, gazebos, pools etc.

I have a piece of shade cloth on a frame fitted over my bilge. It makes a great net to catch tools, bolts, phones and other crap from falling into the bottom of the bilge just out of my reach. Also acts as a filter to stop debris that might get blocked up in the bilge pump.

I thought this stuff was pricey until I got a quote from a nearby marina for indoor summer storage. $26/ft per month!!! That will buy a lot of shade cloth!!!

Makes a great inflatable dinghy cover - just leave the bungs out and rain keeps the dinghy rinsed but it's still protected from UV.
These are really cheap at hardware stores.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom