Recording/Tracking Vessel Roll & Pitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Bob

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Liberdade
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 54
Do any of you know what this is in this photo? I found it on Dauntless' blog and have asked him but not heard back.

I've been looking for sometime for a device or piece of equipment that would track and record vessel movement. I've found plenty of analog inclinometers but none that would retain maximum roll or pitch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I don't have one of those, but I know from experience that when the bell down on the sundeck begins to ring by itself- it's gonna be a hellova ride....?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

That's Maretron N2K view. He has a Maretron SSC-200 which gives him that data.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Oliver. I'll do some research into it.

Steve that's funny, our bell which hangs in the upper helm does the same for us.

All that instrument will do is frighten you and the Admiral. You might not want that thing.

Yes I question that myself. The information is not necessarily useful at the moment it's measuring it and if you made it through it, it's only good to look back at and say wow! Yet my curiosity would like it for some reason.

Having just done some research thanks to Oliver's answer, Maretron seems to several interesting devices. I can't say I know them well. I only have one of their pieces of equipment which allows me to share data between two isolated/redundant networks.

Now I'll just have to see if I can get it past the Admiral's capital expenditure authorization review or if I have to sneak it into the maintenance budget.

Last edited:
If you have got an iPhone/iPad search for gtgboating in the App Store, that should do what your looking for.
I went searching a while back so I can get some hard data on paravane stabilisers that I'm getting built but unfortunately still waiting very patiently for the trial.
Cheers, Adam

That's Maretron N2K view. He has a Maretron SSC-200 which gives him that data.
Oliver, I'm not sure that is a Maretron display. M/V Dirona has the same system, but I can't seem to find who makes the display software. Are we sure that is a Maretron product?

Oliver, I'm not sure that is a Maretron display. M/V Dirona has the same system, but I can't seem to find who makes the display software. Are we sure that is a Maretron product?

Technically it's not a display, just a program. But yes that is N2K View, which is Maretron's SW. It must be ran on computer. Although they do have an app for tablets and iPhones. (given you already have the Maretron sensors and appropriate hardware)

I don't have one of those, but I know from experience that when the bell down on the sundeck begins to ring by itself- it's gonna be a hellova ride....?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Them good ol' "Bell-Ringers"!! Gotta love em and respect em! No matter from which direction they come or where on the boat they may be struck by boat's motion... or themselves strike.

Try separating it "gtg (space) boating", that helped me find it in the App Store.

I was really excited to see this app, but then the thought occurred to me - what's going to happen when I pick up my phone or iPad to use them. I suspect the devices motion sensors will detect that as well.

We're getting underway the end of the month for a winter cruise, for $.99 it's worth a try to see how it works, I'll let you know. Or if someone has a chance to try it before then please give us some feedback.

The iphone has built in level indicator in the compass app. Just sit it somewhere normally level and watch the degree of roll.

Them good ol' "Bell-Ringers"!! Gotta love em and respect em! No matter from which direction they come or where on the boat they may be struck by boat's motion... or themselves strike.

Yup - A good bell is a wonderful device. I've got mine calibrated to tell me when its time to reef the mainsail. I haven't found any other instrument to do that.

That's because some fool spelt it wrong, try g2gboating.
Sorry

btw-
Adam, It's been a while since we heard from you. I've been keeping an eye out for your boat. Hope to make it over your way this summer.

Thank you very much Oliver. I'll do some research into it.

Steve that's funny, our bell which hangs in the upper helm does the same for us.

Hehe
That's what I used for the first 3000 miles, the bell.

Do any of you know what this is in this photo? I found it on Dauntless' blog and have asked him but not heard back.

I've been looking for sometime for a device or piece of equipment that would track and record vessel movement. I've found plenty of analog inclinometers but none that would retain maximum roll or pitch.

My PM is full. Better to email me at Wxman22@gmail.com

Yes, as Oliver was so nice to respond promptly.

I wish I would have done a better job of recording the data in a systematic fashion.
Next time

btw-
Adam, It's been a while since we heard from you. I've been keeping an eye out for your boat. Hope to make it over your way this summer.

Still here quietly lurking and learning. Haven't been out much lately with work getting in the way but Christmas is looking good for a few days afloat.
Look forward to saying g'day If you do make it over and if you need a place to berth let me know.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom