View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #47
dannc
Guru

City: NC
This weekend I found an interesting set of videos on YouTube about a Roberts designed, home built, steel hulled boat called Emerald Steel. A couple built the boat in the mid 80's with the wife doing the welding and the husband doing the cutting and grinding of the metal plates. Unfortunately, they do not have a blog that I can find but they answer questions pretty quickly on the YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sujules/featured

They have videos of them visiting a variety of Pacific islands going back to the 90's. The videos show them building a new mast and bow sprint from 2x bought at HD. Very impressive work.

I asked them about how they prepped and painted the hull and how it has held up.

Quote:
First we sandblasted then one coat of zinc spray followed by 2 coats of Proline epoxy primer plus polyurethane in the bilges. You always need to fix any nicks or scratches otherwise the plating is almost like new after almost 30 years. 
They mentioned in another post they have two inches of closed cell insulation covering the hull paint.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote