Spelling for Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
"...sometimes (or is that some times???)." Could be occasionally. One thing I don't recall being mentioned is the difference in US spelling and British spelling. Harbor/harbour, color/colour, center/centre, meter/metre etc. (ooh boy, the spell checker is NOT happy). I suppose one checks the spelling on a cheque.
Language IS alive and evolving. One of the references I use somewhat frequently is:Online Etymology Dictionary

One thing I don't recall being mentioned is the difference in US spelling and British spelling.

In non-professional writing, I tend to use a combination of both. I use "metre" for example, rather than "meter." I use "grey," not "gray."

I also use UK expressions in speech like "move house" instead of "moving" (as in moving to a different house). I tend to use the word "petrol" rather than "gasoline" or "gas" just because "petrol" is more fun to say. In France, diesel fuel is called "gazole" and I've started using that word, too, just for fun.

Grammatical Vexations

I wonder if this bothers others. I see frequent use of the possesive when the intent is plural. For instance--I saw three Nordhavn's at the marina It seems to be coming a de facto linguistic usage--that a plural is expressed with an apostrophe. I understand previous posts relating to the function of language--that of communication rather than a formal art form--but this bugs me. Should I just chill out?

Does anyone know how to override the Microsoft Word popup:

"You have used your allotment of spell check." I keep getting?

>Does anyone know how to override the Microsoft Word popup:

"You have used your allotment of spell check." I keep getting?<

You can have mine!

:) Just read a post in another thread on this forum--the author said "laying a hull" instead of "lying ahull." I don't even want to get close to touching that one!

I wonder if this bothers others. I see frequent use of the possessive when the intent is plural. For instance--I saw three Nordhavn's at the marina It seems to be coming a de facto linguistic usage--that a plural is expressed with an apostrophe. I understand previous posts relating to the function of language--that of communication rather than a formal art form--but this bugs me. Should I just chill out?
Chilling is probably the best option. Over here we have a guy called "Apostrophe Man" whose job is to haunt signwriters who do signs advertising things like "Hamburgers`,Used Cars`, etc etc. He is kept very busy.
BTW I corrected the spelling of "possessive" above. I deny entirely being a language pedant.

>Does anyone know how to override the Microsoft Word popup:

"You have used your allotment of spell check." I keep getting?<

You can have mine!

i was a high school drop out so you will have to put pu with me on this forum

I wonder if this bothers others. I see frequent use of the possesive when the intent is plural. For instance--I saw three Nordhavn's at the marina.

This drives me nuts. I wish I could ignore it, but it's like nails on a chalk board to me.

Here's one that I've noticed lately. People are leaving words out of their sentences. Instead of saying 'the generator needs to be rebuilt,' or 'the fence needs painting,' they'll say 'the generator needs rebuilt and the fence needs painted.'

More nails on the chalk board.

i was a high school drop out so you will have to put pu with me on this forum

You're alright in my book Captain Jerry :thumb::thumb:

15 or so years ago during a subcontractor meeting the superintendent was complaining about graffiti in the outhouses. We where told the graffiti would be removed and if the offender identified his contractor would be back charged.

When asked for any questions I spoke up and asked if the graffiti had been spelled correctly? After being assured it was I proclaimed my crews innocence as everyone knows pipe fitters and welders cannot spell to save their life.

When I see some posts I think the people who write them are elementary school dropouts. :rolleyes:

When I see some posts I think the people who write them are elementary school dropouts. :rolleyes:

some people had to work in ther early teens and could not finish school, i went to sea when i was 16 yrs old. that was my school?

As a Site Team member I happily correct misspelt thread titles. But, when it comes to expression and spelling which I might think could be improved, I almost always hold back, unless I think meaning has been compromised to the extent the replies will be less helpful.
TF has all sorts of members from all sorts of backgrounds, with a range of language skills.For some, English is not their first language. That`s how we are, we should accept and accommodate, without denigrating other contributors.

Reactions: Al
As a Site Team member I happily correct misspelt thread titles. But, when it comes to expression and spelling which I might think could be improved, I almost always hold back, unless I think meaning has been compromised to the extent the replies will be less helpful.
TF has all sorts of members from all sorts of backgrounds, with a range of language skills.For some, English is not their first language. That`s how we are, we should accept and accommodate, without denigrating other contributors.

Bruce - Well said! Thanks!!

There are a slight number of members on TF that hold themselves OHHHH so high in their own estimation. They should be, possibly would be, embarrassed if they realized how their denigrating statements toward others sound to generally thoughtful members. Their mental assaults toward others are grating to say the least.

Again, Thanks! :thumb:

Art

Last edited:
Thanks Art.
On a lighter note, a spelling mistake in the engraving on a grave stone was once referred to here as a "monumental error".

Thanks Art.
On a lighter note, a spelling mistake in the engraving on a grave stone was once referred to here as a "monumental error".

That is funny!

My uncle, Dwight Allen was a stone mason who hand carved cemetery stones. Built like a piece of granite himself, family members knew him as The Monumental Man!

BTW: Uncle Dwight was a well known exhibition high diver and speed swimmer. He swam with Johnny Weissmuller ( of "Tarzan" movies) and was hired to teach him fine points of high diving.

http://petenali.hubpages.com/hub/He-wasnt-always-Tarzan-the-Johnny-Weissmuller-story

Unfortunately due to uncle Dwight's and Aunt Dot's constant unprotected exposure to sun, Dwight's life ended too early. Dot followed via broken heart (heart attack in bed room) only months latter.

Last edited:

15 or so years ago during a subcontractor meeting the superintendent was complaining about graffiti in the outhouses. We where told the graffiti would be removed and if the offender identified his contractor would be back charged.

When asked for any questions I spoke up and asked if the graffiti had been spelled correctly? After being assured it was I proclaimed my crews innocence as everyone knows pipe fitters and welders cannot spell to save their life.

Hello, CP. I know you wrote this intentionally to see if we were paying attention. So you really proclaimed your "crew's" innocence as ... to save their "lives."
Don't hate me for this--my first Delta cruise (or was that crews) was with an Owens Aruba some 45 years ago. Loved it! So I'm a fan... See you next year. :)

Case in point!! So tell us, are you a pipe fitter or a welder? :hide: :D

So the supertendent want to ID and back charge. Comes to mind the line up in Porky's.

Back
Top Bottom