View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
kraftee

City: Gainesville, FL
Hi Jim,

I have attached a couple pictures of the 16' Hell's Bay that we had on Spoonbill's bow for the 2009 Miami Boat Show. This should give you a pretty good idea of the space up there! Alas, though, I have pored through the hundreds of Spoonbill pictures on my computer from my four Bahamas charter seasons as her captain and believe it or not, I do not have a single picture of the Crew Quarters in the Bosun Locker. So, I have attached a couple of exterior views of her from the stern. You will notice the dark rectangle on the bottom, port corner of the deckhouse. That is the window/escape hatch for this space. It lets LOTS of light and air into the Crew Quarters and I kept it open quite often at night. This hatch is about 48" x 20" as I recall. Plenty big to go in and out of. There is another small portlight in the head area on the starboard side of the deckhouse

To try to give you a better idea of the layout of the Crew Quarters, I have attached a couple N47 floorplans. On the bottom one, you can see the engine room space (which, by the way, has SEVEN feet of headroom - not six.) You can also see the Bosun Locker directly aft of the engine room. The space is a bit more than 5' fore/aft and varies from about 15'8" to 14' in overall width. The stairs which come down from the saloon are shown on this graphic also. You can see that they are offset to starboard. Headroom at the base of the steps is probably about 5' 6" and EVERYTHING to the port of those steps in the Bosun Locker (roughly half the space) becomes a huge, oversize, VERY comfortable, queen-size berth (about 62" x 88"). There is also quite a lot of storage under this berth. Most of the berth has approx. 40-46" of headroom over it - plenty enough to sit upright on it or crawl around to make the bed. I probably slept almost 200 nights on this bed, very happily and comfortably. The saloon air conditioning is routed into the space.

On the starboard side of the steps is the head/storage area. Plenty of room for a standard Vacuflush head against the forward bulkhead. Outboard of the head is a nice vanity with sink. There is also a shower curtain separating the spaces and allowing for a handheld shower. However, I rarely used the shower as I was mostly in the Bahamas - so just showered on the aft deck. Behind the vanity area is a pretty substantial storage area that I generally used for cases of soda, beer, wine, etc. for the charters.

Ken and I had lots of ideas for cabinets, closets, etc. in the Crew Quarters - especially above the berth, but we just never got around to it - the boat was always working! You might contact Ken and see if he will prevail upon Spoonbill's current owner to take a few photos.

Hope that helps you in your quest to build an N47!

ERIC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2060014.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	34910   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070020.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	34911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spoonie in Cat.jpg