Turkey Aboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Just wondering how many of you are actually preparing Thanksgiving dinner aboard this year. All the trimmings?​

Not this year, unfortunately, but we have in the past out in the islands on several occasions. Well, I should say my wife has. I don't cook.

She's made a full dinner-- turkey, yams, corn pudding, etc, etc, etc. using the Force 10 range (stove top/oven/broiler) we had installed a week after receiving the boat in 1998 to replace the original, leaking Magic Chef.

Sometimes she's done this for just the two of us, but a few years when we had good friends who lived on Sucia Island in the San Juans she made dinner for us and them, which included their two daughters.

She's also made a full Christmas dinner for the same group on a couple of occasions. A big prime rib using the "guaranteed perfect results" method she learned from her best friend years ago, and all the stuff that goes with it.

One Christmas we were at the island to host dinner for our friends and a storm blew in on the 25th. The waves were cresting and breaking in Fossil Bay to the point where I couldn't take the dog ashore in the Livingston even though we were only about 100 yards from it. So in the interests of safety, to say nothing of the fact the boat was pitching up and down something fierce, we postponed dinner until the next day.

The only thing my wife found is that because the Force 10's oven doesn't have near the insulation that her oven at home does (until the other year the house had an all electric range; we have replaced that with a duel fuel range) oven timings have to be increased some.

Last edited:
In 2006 my wife prepared an entire turkey dinner for three while anchored in a very small and remote cove on the Tenn Tom in the middle of nowhere Alabama while headed north to the Tennessee River. We were very comfortable in our 42' Nordic Tug complete with HBO on the dish. Seventeen degrees as I recall. One of the best ever dinners.

Not this year, unfortunately, but we have in the past out in the islands on several occasions. Well, I should say my wife has. I don't cook.

She's made a full dinner-- turkey, yams, corn pudding, etc, etc, etc. using the Force 10 range (stove top/oven/broiler) we had installed a week after receiving the boat in 1998 to replace the original, leaking Magic Chef.

Sometimes she's done this for just the two of us, but a few years when we had good friends who lived on Sucia Island in the San Juans she made dinner for us and them, which included their two daughters.

She's also made a full Christmas dinner for the same group on a couple of occasions. A big prime rib using the "guaranteed perfect results" method she learned from her best friend years ago, and all the stuff that goes with it.

One Christmas we were at the island to host dinner for our friends and a storm blew in on the 25th. The waves were cresting and breaking in Fossil Bay to the point where I couldn't take the dog ashore in the Livingston even though we were only about 100 yards from it. So in the interests of safety, to say nothing of the fact the boat was pitching up and down something fierce, we postponed dinner until the next day.

The only thing my wife found is that because the Force 10's oven doesn't have near the insulation that her oven at home does (until the other year the house had an all electric range; we have replaced that with a duel fuel range) oven timings have to be increased some.

WOW! Your wife is really something. Happy Thanksgiving

Wifey B: 13 People aboard for dinner, several of whom are turkeys....

Ok, yes, we're having Turkey. In fact two are being prepared. Not by me though. Gonna be slightly different. Turkey a la Nikki and turkey a la Melissa. I thought we'd probably eat out but the preference was greatly in favor of a traditional Thanksgiving and we're some of the least traditional people you can imagine. We're eating late so we could get out and about for much of the day.

Confession time. I have never cooked a whole turkey. I've done turkey breast and purchased already cooked turkey and our neighbor always had great ones and invited us. Like I've never been much on cooking things that took a real long time. I'm good at salads. Hubby good at grilling. I've never tried anything that had an inside and an outside.

We have so much to freaking be thankful for and we darn sure are. Is the world perfect? Heck no. Pretty screwed up. But we have like the best friends ever and sort of some adopted as family. That's what it's all about. And even special thoughts for those not with us today.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417130254.076484.jpg

We are in Charleston, headed out tomorrow now that wind is dying!

We are onboard as I type having just finished a big Turkey dinner-not cooked by us but by Whole Foods-really a great deal. Dinner for 8 for less than $150, just heat and eat. Have two mothers-in-law on board, 91 and 93 who really enjoy seeing the Seattle skyline from the boat. Will be back at the dock early, 7 or so, but the family will have had a great time. To quote Wifey B "We have a lot to be freakin' thankful for"

We are onboard as I type having just finished a big Turkey dinner-not cooked by us but by Whole Foods-really a great deal. Dinner for 8 for less than $150, just heat and eat. Have two mothers-in-law on board, 91 and 93 who really enjoy seeing the Seattle skyline from the boat. Will be back at the dock early, 7 or so, but the family will have had a great time. To quote Wifey B "We have a lot to be freakin' thankful for"

Wifey B: Whole Foods does a good job. Really like their roasted chicken too and when it's just the two of us, a whole chicken for under $10 is great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom