How to clean a dirty bilge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One one boat we simply ran the bilge pump discharge into the above the WL self draining sink.

A square of bilge absorb on the drain caught the oil, the oil partially dissolved with soap and other gunk.

Easy to monitor as you use a scrub brush to brake the gunk loose and flush it.

If the gunk has sunk and is stuck to the hull, only scrubbing will get ir loose/

Anyone tried a handheld steam cleaner for ER and/or bilge? Probably not good on perforated sound deadening material but could work on hard surfaces.

Yes, I have. It works to a certain extent, on some surfaces.... where you can get the steam head to fit. It's not magic, just one more tool in the kit.

-Chris

Haha Crikey! Based on my project, my worth is very little hahah ��

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum
Can hardly imagine, 3 years refit on my boat and probably 3 to go. Hat's off to ya' mate...:thumb:

But most would never do what we are...unless they got paid well....and some are checkbook boaters and should know they aren't getting ripped off. (I am jealous sometimes that I can't just whip out the checks).

Can hardly imagine, 3 years refit on my boat and probably 3 to go. Hat's off to ya' mate...:thumb:

But most would never do what we are...unless they got paid well....and some are checkbook boaters and should know they aren't getting ripped off. (I am jealous sometimes that I can't just whip out the checks).

Lol I'm only building because i can't afford to buy what I want in the timeframe that I want it. My bilge is covered in saw dust but a vacuum will solve that. How's your rig going?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Lol I'm only building because i can't afford to buy what I want in the timeframe that I want it. My bilge is covered in saw dust but a vacuum will solve that. How's your rig going?

slowly but surely...every time I look up all I see is snail as*.....:D

slowly but surely...every time I look up all I see is snail as*.....:D

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1417011857.625247.jpg

Greetings,
During the course of our re-paint (on the days it's too cold or wet to do outside chores), I'm sloooowly attacking my "behind the scenes" areas (inside lockers AND the bilge). I have the advantage of being able to remove ALL my flooring in the "basement" exposing support timbers and downward to the bottom of the bilge. I'm noting the various scenarios for attacking the lower bilge with it's attendant residue of guck in anticipation of painting. What I have been using thus far is: Title It's tintable and covers REALLY well. Very little odor and a long pot life. Can be sprayed or brushed and the beauty is it's water clean-up.

Greetings,
During the course of our re-paint (on the days it's too cold or wet to do outside chores), I'm sloooowly attacking my "behind the scenes" areas (inside lockers AND the bilge). I have the advantage of being able to remove ALL my flooring in the "basement" exposing support timbers and downward to the bottom of the bilge. I'm noting the various scenarios for attacking the lower bilge with it's attendant residue of guck in anticipation of painting. What I have been using thus far is: Title It's tintable and covers REALLY well. Very little odor and a long pot life. Can be sprayed or brushed and the beauty is it's water clean-up.

were are you purchasing ?

Greetings,
I just called a bunch of paint stores and asked if they had or could order it. After about the 7th or 8th call I found one that dealt in industrial paints. It's in the Northeast but I'm sure you could readily find a place in FL. Devoe® Paint - Exterior And Interior Paint For All Projects

Rt thanks a bunch looks like great stuff going to get some lined up for right after the Christmas holiday we will be on the boat for 3 months working and playing

I save old laundry detergent bottles, add a little bit of water then pour into the bilge. Using a toilet brush works VERY well and you can scrub it clean, then use the shopvac to remove the dirty water. I always keep absorbent towels in the bilge which capture any oil leaks. The laundry detergent bottles also leave a nice smell in the bilge as well!

I like the shop vac idea to get the water out of the bilge, but I would think it needs to be a small one so it can be lifted to the dock, yes?

"I like the shop vac idea to get the water out of the bilge, but I would think it needs to be a small one so it can be lifted to the dock, yes?"

The ones you buy at Lowes or Home Depot that fit on top of a five gallon bucket work well on a boat.

I used a home depot "bucket head." This is a small shop vac head that sits on a standard 5 gal bucket. As I filled up one bucket I handed it the admiral and put the head on another one.

I like the shop vac idea to get the water out of the bilge, but I would think it needs to be a small one so it can be lifted to the dock, yes?

I use the mid grade one from Harbor freight works great and cheap I think only 2-3 gallon

will be at the bout over the weekend will post a pic

but I think I like the idea of the ones that fit the 5 gallon bucket also

I have a smaller bucket same diameter as a 5 but a little shorter wonder if that would work

I use a smaller shop vac from Sears - just MAKE SURE you carry it from the bottom!!!

In the process of repowering, we freshened up the gellcoat in the bilge engine drip pan. Bilge goes under the drip pan. Makes keeping the bilge clean really easy.

DSCN0992.jpg

DSCN0996.jpg

Ted

I use a smaller shop vac from Sears - just MAKE SURE you carry it from the bottom!!!
I had a small shop vac for the boat. It rolled into the river. Even though I was able to retrieve it quickly and let it dry out before using it again it didn't last very long after that. :rolleyes:

But, it was a good test of the dock GFCI breaker.

Can you talk more about how you "Freshened up the Gel coat"? Looks GREAT!

Because there had been oil and antifreeze in the pan, cleaned it with Dawn, water and a Scotshbrite pad. Sanded the entire surface to remove some of the top layer of gel coat. Wiped it down with acetone. Then gave it 3 coats of gel coat. Sanding and wiping with acetone are a must in areas where there may have been oil, fuel, antifreeze, etc. Use 2 different gel coats, with and without wax. The base coats leave a tacky surface for the next coat to stick to without sanding. Top coat is tack free.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom