Ft Lauderdale to Key West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, there may be a line for taxis, but will you really be in a hurry that night?

I'd suggest you better call Stock Island quickly and make reservations as they will fill up too. Key West is popular on New Year's Eve....

As you can imagine, we won't be in a hurry, I just want to make sure I'll be able to get my family back to the boat without getting stuck. I've been to KW only once while on a cruise ship, and that was many years ago. So, I just wanted to get some more info to gain the comfort level.

....Just curious. Why leave FL at that time of the afternoon? Why not leave early the following morning? You really don't gain because if you move all night then you sleep during the day.

I did float plan from FTL to No-Name harbor and in this short (~25nm) stretch I would have to open at least 6 bridges. This means that I could be traveling for at least 3.5-4hrs. I just figured that if I can start making my way southbound, that's 4hrs I can use for the following day, either exploring or continue cruising.

I travel at night very often and it's one of the favorite time. Exploring the scenic waterways during the day is great, but doing this at night makes an unforgettable experience.

While delivering my boat from CT to FTL I cruised after dark every single day and also did an overnight run. When my wife joined me and we did the night cruising on ICW until we arrived in FTL, the scenery was just what "a snowbird" would wish for. :thumb::D

Even the fact that I had to open about 20 bridges between Vero Beach and FTL, which drastically reduced my AVG speed didn't bother us so much. The scenery made up for everything.

I did float plan from FTL to No-Name harbor and in this short (~25nm) stretch I would have to open at least 6 bridges. This means that I could be traveling for at least 3.5-4hrs. I just figured that if I can start making my way southbound, that's 4hrs I can use for the following day, either exploring or continue cruising.

Makes sense if you like night traveling and from Fort Lauderdale to No Name there really isn't much "night" as there is quite a bit of lighting. The one negative is that the anchorage could be a bit crowded by that time of night. A lot of people use it to jump off to Bimini and this is peak season.

I started plotting my routes. Leg #1 "FTL to No Name Harbor" is pretty much self explanatory.

However, Leg #2 "No Name HBR to Key Largo" is a bit puzzling one. I'm planning to pass by historical Stiltsville (from what I understand, it's the channel via Stiltsville Inlet), which I thought I'll enter from the EAST, after heading SE from No Name harbor and then head for ICW.

This looks like a good option, but as I continue heading south I (BTW, at this time I'm considering to take mooring at "Pennekamp State Park Largo Sound"), I realized that my options on cutting across to the East side are limited. It seems like my original thought of staying on ICW all the way to Channel 5 doesn't work, if I want to be moored in "Pennekamp State Park Largo Sound". I see that one of the options would be using Caesar Channel to cut to the Hawk Channel and stay on it until the PSPL sound. As I'm reading the cruising guide, it suggests that only vessels with less than 4' should use Caesar Channel. But, looking at the chart and Active Captain channel mark update it seems like I should be fine with my 4' draft.

This leads to the following questions:

1. Would you guys advise using Caesar Cahnnel with my 4' draft boat (BTW with prop pockets half of the props are exposed)?

2. Would you recommend more preferred or more common options for mooring or anchoring, or even a marina that doesn't charge arm and a leg in Key Largo, on the Western side?
By looking at AC, I see that "Tarpon Basin" has few decent anchorage spots. But, since this is new area to me, and based on what I've read so far on about the Park moorings, I thought it would be better option.

3. Any words on the Pennekamp State Park? Is it a popular site or should I be focusing at other POIs instead?

Last edited:
I would advise going back to the original plan of ICW to channel 5. On the Hawks Channel route there are far fewer good anchorages and the ride is way less scenic. The trip becomes a delivery instead of an adventure.

As for no name harbor, this is way off the beaten path of the ICW. If you like night time passage making just continue under Rickenbacker down the middle of Biscayne Bay to Elliot or Boca Chita. Plenty of room in good protected anchorages. I would not want to be poking around in the dark in no name as a noob. Plus anchoring outside puts you in Biscayne Channel, the current can rip through there.

If you don't go that far there are several anchorages and marinas in the "Northern" part of Biscayne Bay and you could get an early start the next morning. I used to shove off from around 79th Street Causeway near Pelican Harbor before dawn and at 7-8 knots be in Key Largo for lunch. You can anchor on the East side of the spoil islands just North of 79th Street Causeway or pull up to Shuckers Shuckers Waterfront Grill | Miami Beach, Florida for dinner and drinks and if you stay late enough maybe just stay tied up there til morning.

Oh, and getting a cab at zero dark 30 to Shock Island should not be a problem, I kind of sort of remember not having any difficulty at peak times like fantasy fest and new years.

:thumb:

Last edited:
I would advise going back to the original plan of ICW to channel 5. On the Hawks Channel route there are far fewer good anchorages and the ride is way less scenic. The trip becomes a delivery instead of an adventure.

As for no name harbor, this is way off the beaten path of the ICW. If you like night time passage making just continue under Rickenbacker down the middle of Biscayne Bay to Elliot or Boca Chita. Plenty of room in good protected anchorages. I would not want to be poking around in the dark in no name as a noob. Plus anchoring outside puts you in Biscayne Channel, the current can rip through there.

If you don't go that far there are several anchorages and marinas in the "Northern" part of Biscayne Bay and you could get an early start the next morning. I used to shove off from around 79th Street Causeway near Pelican Harbor before dawn and at 7-8 knots be in Key Largo for lunch. You can anchor on the East side of the spoil islands just North of 79th Street Causeway or pull up to Shuckers Shuckers Waterfront Grill | Miami Beach, Florida for dinner and drinks and if you stay late enough maybe just stay tied up there til morning.

Oh, and getting a cab at zero dark 30 to Shock Island should not be a problem, I kind of sort of remember not having any difficulty at peak times like fantasy fest and new years.

:thumb:

Great advice. Thank you.

I guess if I stick with original plan and take ICW, this leaves me with a question on where to stay in Key Largo. Would you have any recommendations on the anchorage/mooring/marina on the "bay side"?

Great advice. Thank you.

I guess if I stick with original plan and take ICW, this leaves me with a question on where to stay in Key Largo. Would you have any recommendations on the anchorage/mooring/marina on the "bay side"?

Below from my post here #20. Basically anywhere on the bayside is a good anchorage. If it's blows from the North all the traditional anchorages get bumpy, so pick a lee to the North. The bottom is almost all mud and grass and holds very well. In Tarpon Basin for instance which is a small body of water it seldom gets more than a big ripple. :socool:

As mentioned No Name, Boca Chita and Elliot Key are all good first anchorages in the Bay. In the Upper Keys, again as mentioned, Pumpkin and Tarpon Basin make great anchorages. In Blackwater Sound you can anchor off the Caribbean Club (where the movie Key Largo was filmed) and dingy into Sundowners for dinner Key Largo Restaurant offering waterside in the Florida Keys: Sundowners

Buttonwood Bay between marker 54 and 55 is a good anchorage (as long as the wind stays East) and is near "downtown" Key Largo. Snooks has good food and is an easy dingy ride Key Largo Restaurant, Key Largo Weddings, Key Largo outside Dining, Wedding Reception, Snooks Bayside Restaurant and many stores are close by.

Near Snooks the Upper Keys Sailing Club welcomes transients and has the best sunsets in the Upper Keys. Dockmasters Guy and Sally monitor 72 or e-mail or call: HOME | Upper Keys Sailing Club They can accommodate your draft at least on the end dock.

As mentioned Plantation Yacht Harbor, now Founders park is an excellent marina with many features. Islamorada, Village of Islands Florida

Does anyone know what the bugs situation is like in No Name Harbor and/or Boca Chita Key Harbor during winter (Dec/Jan)? I've read that the mosquitos are really bad when it's warmer.

Does anyone know what the bugs situation is like in No Name Harbor and/or Boca Chita Key Harbor during winter (Dec/Jan)? I've read that the mosquitos are really bad when it's warmer.

Yes, but this is winter and will be our cold season. Key West will be in the 70's and at night very cold, in the 60's. Miami normally gets bitter cold during that time. Early December is ok in the low 80's but late December drops to upper 70's and nights in the 60's. We may not see the 80's again on a regular basis until March. Might even have to wear sweaters or coats some nights.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom