Hate Californian "Tomb Entrance"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kraftee

When I purchased my '88 45MY a few months back, the biggest problem with the boat (in my opinion) was the heavy, unwieldy sliding hatch/door from the aft deck to the saloon. It was like sliding a giant rock away from a tomb entrance! In fact, my wife could barely slide the thing. So, first on my list was to replace that with an actual door - similar to the 45s that were built later on in North Carolina. We had to saw the old sliding hatch/door into about 4 pieces to get the 200 lb. thing out of the boat! I think the new door came out pretty good - except for the fact that my cabinet maker matched the interior teak finish and failed to realize the aft deck wet bar teak had bleached significantly lighter. Oh well - the new door really "opens up" the interior of the boat with lots of light and the ease of use makes living aboard immeasurably better!

Attachments

• A - Aft Deck Before.jpg
    A - Aft Deck Before.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 173
  • A - Aft Deck After.jpg
    A - Aft Deck After.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 217
I did exactly the same thing to my '89 45 MY. Made a world of difference. But...mine matched the outside.

I think the contrast looks nice do you have detail pics and ones from inside was thinking about something like this on my MT

It will bleach out exactly like the cabinet did. Be patient.

...from the inside. I'll try to remember to take some detail shots tonight when I get home.

Attachments

• Saloon (23).jpg
    Saloon (23).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 160
K

Thanks I am heading to the boat tomorrow

I can not do mine exactly like yours but similar

looking forward to more pics

Thanks

Very nicely done. A huge improvement.:thumb:

Stunning ?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Nice improvement, both from an aesthetic perspective and an ergonomic one!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Here are a few detail pics, as promised...

Attachments

• Door4.jpg
    Door4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Door13.jpg
    Door13.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Door5.jpg
    Door5.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Door6.jpg
    Door6.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 121
  • Door8.jpg
    Door8.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Door10.jpg
    Door10.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Door11.jpg
    Door11.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Door3.jpg
    Door3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Door1.jpg
    Door1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 109
Wow! I didn't see the glass work until it was opened.....Wow!!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Here are a few detail pics, as promised...

Thanks so much gives me some ideas that looks amazing

what brand hinges did you use and handle?

Thanks. The hinges are GEM items and the latch assembly is a discontinued Perko item that we found on the internet. Closest current Perko item is their #0730. Also, the "etched" glass is, in fact, a very nice static cling decal from Window Film | Etched Decals | Screen Magnets | WindowFilmWorld.com. They're about thirty bucks and the ones on the double glass front doors of our house still look great after 15 years. Pretty much fools everyone - even on close inspection. Lots of choices of designs, they install in about 5 minutes and can be peeled right off (and reattached.)

I do have one question for Mr. RTF: Is having one's mind blown a good thing? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ERIC

Who would have known.... The Admiral is now looking at her choices..Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. The hinges are GEM items and the latch assembly is a discontinued Perko item that we found on the internet. Closest current Perko item is their #0730. Also, the "etched" glass is, in fact, a very nice static cling decal from Window Film | Etched Decals | Screen Magnets | WindowFilmWorld.com. They're about thirty bucks and the ones on the double glass front doors of our house still look great after 15 years. Pretty much fools everyone - even on close inspection. Lots of choices of designs, they install in about 5 minutes and can be peeled right off (and reattached.)

I do have one question for Mr. RTF: Is having one's mind blown a good thing? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ERIC
We have the fake etched on the one I want to replace and will add one to the new one agree they look great

Terrific idea and great execution.Well done.

I think the contrast looks really classy. Great job!

Back
Top Bottom