New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure Bateau.com would be concerned if GlenL was giving out specifications for their boats! :rofl:

:facepalm: :nonono: I don't know why I was thinking GlenL.I know your boat is a stitch in goo from Bateau.It wasn't even that late when I posted that.Major brain poop. :lol:

Good update Rick.It seems things are picking up a little with the sanding.An 40 to 80 grit flap disc may have worked a little better on those rough epoxy joints and rough drips/globs.

Just 7 min. Than lunch!
Yeah. Rough job huh? That was 3 hrs of video edited down to just the highlights! I thought I'd spare you guys the grueling detail stuff. :D

I know you guys have been waiting anxiously for it! Here it is! My latest sanding video! :whistling:

Making Dust. Web log updated: M/V She:Kon: Makin' Dust

You're going to extend your boat building season a couple months?In Canada?I can't wait for this.I know it's going to be good.

Just 7 min. Than lunch!

:rofl:

Yeah. Rough job huh? That was 3 hrs of video edited down to just the highlights! I thought I'd spare you guys the grueling detail stuff. :D

Thanks.Three hours of sanding is rough enough. :D I hope your editing program has fast forward.It does look good.The inside will be as smooth as the outside.

I'm still nerved from watching you fellows right the hull. Had to go and pee but held it till you had her upright. Pretty tense...

I'm still nerved from watching you fellows right the hull. Had to go and pee but held it till you had her upright. Pretty tense...
Sorry 'bout that gotb, I tried to keep the suspense to a minimum. ;)

Sanding inside the hull is done. Vacuumed out. Tomorrow I'll build myself a work bench for 'Inside' the boat and start filling the kerfs etc. Let's hope the weather cooperates awhile longer. Was about 40 F this morning when I went out to the shed in my short sleeve shirt & shorts.

spacer.gif
img_270376_1_68ea1b72a6726881e6d7f415c87ac3c5.jpg

Kerfs filled. Started fillets along the side/bottom joint. Almost out of materials so have to wait for more to arrive.

spacer.gif
img_271053_1_ed28afa1ef1660c9bf268f2ac821637d.jpg

Learned a lesson. Don't step in wet epoxy then walk in the house and across the kitchen floor! :banghead:

Did a walk around tour on video. You'll find that on the blog update; http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/do-n ... epoxy.html

My buddy Andrew's coming by tomorrow morning so we should get the shed roof fixed finally.

Right out of supplies now. I managed to get about 25' of fillet done with the dregs of the wood flour bucket this morning.
icon_lol.gif

spacer.gif
img_272101_2_0744802b810971f1ce58457dfa344ef1.jpg

Got a few days to wait for funds to hit my credit card before I can order more tape. Wood flour & cabosil are on their way so I'll still have time to get some more fillets done. Holy Crap there's a lot of them that need to be done!!!

How much effort is involved? Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/09/how- ... olved.html

Standby.....

In the old days 65-68 I used a lot of wood dust from table saws and epoxy mix to fill seams. Than applied 2 layers of 2.5oz cloth over the wet saw dust.

In the old days 65-68 I used a lot of wood dust from table saws and epoxy mix to fill seams. Than applied 2 layers of 2.5oz cloth over the wet saw dust.
I have heard of guys using sawdust as a filler. I'm sure it works Ok. The wood flour is much finer and sanding is a breeze with it. I have also used pecan flour which is very very nice to work with, much nicer than the wood flour I just can't get it at a reasonable price anymore.

The tape I'm using is 9oz. from Noah's. It's very nice to work with but the price has skyrocketed since the last time I bought any.

That stuff looks like cotton dust.The bondo squeegy idea is good.

That's it. I'm done for the season. I'll be back in the spring when I get proper materials to work with. It was a good year.

The biggest milestone this year was the flipping of the hull. Given our short building season up here I've got about a year and a half's work into the boat so far.

M/V She:Kon: That's a wrap 2014

Rick you're making great progress. I have been following your build here since you left BE.
Bill
(Billylll)

Rick you're making great progress. I have been following your build here since you left BE.
Thanks for looking in Bill. I don't care to remember BE. That was a train wreck.

See you in the spring. Stay warm.

Is it the cold temp affecting the cure that forces you to stop?
That's part of it. I was going to build a tent over the hull that I could heat. It has more to do with getting the right materials (wood flour). Time to get ready for the annual hibernation & save some pesos for next spring!

My buddy Peter was in need of some 'Sandtherapy' yesterday so he showed up, sander & sandpaper in hand to work on my boat. He's had a bit of a rough time this summer & fall so he considers any chance to hang out in the boat shed 'Therapy'. Who am I to stand in his way of pursuing 'good mental health' eh? :rofl:

spacer.gif
img_285312_1_d15f47c2931b4a2fc1f129407cf29a06.jpg

He jumped right in and started at it. The temp outside was a balmy -5C and inside the shed the same. Ideal conditions for sanding as Peter says. Me, I like it a lil' bit warmer but after some consternation I suited up and we went at it for an hour or so before a 'breakfast' break of MRD's. (Meals Ready to Drink).

spacer.gif
img_285312_3_99e750d11400002197c9c1fab27bc7c2.jpg

Working on a video, "Bull Sh*t from the Boat Shed" to be online sometime today.

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2014/11/chil ... anity.html

Rick, what is your usual charge for a therapy session? Any discounts for TF members?

Oh therapy sessions are free of charge, if you, like Peter, bring your own beer & sandpaper! :thumb:

Oh therapy sessions are free of charge, if you, like Peter, bring your own beer & sandpaper! :thumb:

Well, Capt Jack is right. I won't be doing it without a TF discount.

Never thought of DYI as therapy before but that's just what it is. There's nothing like workin' on a boat, listening to music and not bein' bothered by anyone. On our boat we carry Gosling's Black Seal rum for makin' a "Dark and Stormy" the national drink of Bermuda (so I've been told.)

*Yawn* Rip Van Winkle is awake!

What a lousy start to the spring. Snow, rain, hail, sleet and more rain. The ground under the boat is soaked. It'll be awhile before it dries out enough to be able to walk on it.

I did manage to get into the shed this morning to fix an air leak in one of my air lines & make myself a new filleting tool.

img_324597_0_2fa0c85353a222d10e9ab06af9b61bf1.jpg

There's a few more pics & details our blog which I just updated:

M/V She:Kon: Yawn! Is it time to wake up yet?

Now I go see what everybody else was up to this winter. :facepalm:

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom