View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #34
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
10&2 is not a Asian Duck
It was built here in Port Townsend and is no doubt the best built Duck ever. The welds EVERYWHERE are perfect.. it is a work of art.
There used to be a Dark Blue hulled Asian DD here in P.T. that was a mess. It was a few years old at the time and had rust bleed everywhere.. the paint system had to be shoddy at best for a 3 or so year old boat to have rust bleeds on the side of the hull

The weld quality on some of the first pics in this thread looked pretty suspect also.. look at the primed hull bow pic.

Comparing 10&2 to the Asian Ducks is like comparing the quality of a early Russian Mig to a Lockheed airframe of recent vintage.

To be fair, the first Nordhavn was a piece of crap.. they learned their lesson in a hurry.. the rest is history.
Also.. if I could afford it I would buy 10&2.. the only one I have personally seen that I can say that about so far.

HOLLYWOOD
I think I remember seeing that boat at Trawler Fest a few years ago. When you see the exterior paint breaking down, you really have to wonder about the bits you can't see. This just goes back to my original point. If you want to have a steel boat that is as easy to maintain as a fiberglass boat you have to have a great paint job. That involves taking really seriously the manufacturer's recommendations for how quickly after blasting are the first coats of primer applied, how many are applied to what thickness at what temperature, and what goes over the top of all of that and when. If there is any place for a yard to eff up the build process that will cause the most headaches for the owner, it is in coatings on a steel boat, IMO.