Painting Old Fiberglass Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. CS. Take a look at post #6. Sigh, I just don't know...I guess folks think I'm just a pretty face.

of-course.gif

Sherwin Williams makes a marine product line but I don't know how competitive it is price wise.

oh wow, i didnt know there was a rustoleum marine paint. intesteresting. I went to get some primer from seattle marine and it wasnt as expensive as west marine but i mean i dont know if im going to be able to do anything for a couple weeks, haul out is coming and owner work is not permitted. it might have to wait until the spring.

I painted my bilges out with Rustoleum Topside paint four years ago. The paint has a high gloss and has held up well.

haul out is coming and owner work is not permitted. it might have to wait until the spring.

Many full service yards reserve the hull and bottom work for the yard and allow the crew to do interior work and exterior work from the deck up.

You night want to ask,,,

You can prime over latex or oil base with a water base 2 part epoxy primer, then paint with any polyurethane. Rustoleum water base garage floor epoxy is fairly cheap and just as effective as any other epoxy. It is meant to be used on floors and self leveling, therefor has no "anti run" properties. You just need to add some Cabosill. As a sanding primer over old well adhered paint (of any kind) it would need some microballoons The problem with oil or latex paint is the different movement factors, they dont shrink and expand like fiberglass. Polyurethane and epoxy dont either but there adheasion factor is tremendously greater. Personally, on a deck of a work boat I would use a self applied spray on urethane truck bed liner, simple quick, covers bad stuff nicely and is super durable.

Capt, I have always had good luck using Petitt's EasyPoxy one part polyurethane paints. I cost about $34 a quart and maybe available in gallons at a better price. It's durable and has a UV protection built into it. Rolling and tipping it leaves a nice finish.

I get a kick out of the name. It pretends to be epoxy and urethane. More marketing I guess. Nothing urethane or epoxy about it, but better than most single unit coatings.

I would sand it down, and roll gel coat on. It won't be pretty but it will be tough. I just repainted my hull with alwgrip after three coats of primer, all sprayed, but I was going for a nice finish and got pretty close, but you need durability and rolled on gel coat is pretty darn hard.

From my experience once you paint with house paint you are stuck with it and it will probably last 3 to five years. 95% prep and I would use the primer made for the paint. I had good luck with two part epoxy. Amron marine coating. Seems to be holding up pretty well so far. I am in Alaska so the sun may make a difference Wind, waves I have plenty of that

I painted my top sides last spring

I painted my gel coat top sides last spring with Interlux bright side. I used interlux 2 part perfection on the horizontal surfaces, ie. the fly bridge over hang, and interlux inderdeck on my deck. I did all this on under a custom made full winter cover. Sometimes, even in February, the temperature would be 25 degrees Celsius under the cover, by May it was sometimes 40.

Prep consisted of : Sand with 80 grit, apply water base 2 part epoxy, sand with 100 grit, apply primer, sand with 120 grit, apply primer, sand again and a third coat of primer sand again. Then 2 coats of bright side using the roll and tip method, 150 grit between coats. It turned out well. The major trick being the addition of flowing liquid to the paint to compensate for sagging and the effects of changing temperature during the day on the paint.

It was a very brutal, beastly nasty job that I wouldn't wish on any one except convicted criminals needing a hard labour component for their sentence.

If you go to the interlux web site you can catch my conversations with the interlux professionals giving me advice.

EPOXY covers a lot of different products.

A 2 part epoxy sticks great but may lack UV protection.

A one part Epoxy is created by grinding hard epoxy into a powder and applying it with some type (oil or water ) vehicle.

It sticks as well as any oil or water paint .

Good thread question: (had written a three paragraph response and hit the magic keys that deleted the whole thing other than the first three words:banghead::banghead::banghead:- The heck with it!:mad: Not the first time !I do not understand these deletions actions on the format:confused:)

Al

Al - It's probably cause as you watch the keys to type you inadvertently hit a button that highlights your post while being written. :nonono: Then... next letter you punch erases the highlighted area. :mad: Best to type on email page first, then make sure it's in correct font and points... then copy and paste onto TF. I recommend not deleting email before making sure your input posted correctly onto TF's thread. :D

Happy Typing Daze! - Art :socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom