Info/Photos for fitting fish stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RichardC

Vessel Name
Good To Go
Vessel Make
DeFever 44
Hi fellow DeFever owners, I'm looking for info and photos of fish stabilizers being added to DeFevers. We own a 44 and wish to fit aluminium wings to ours for extended cruising. Here's a photo of ours currently. Thankyou in advance.

Richard the photo did not show

Sorry about the non-photo, will try again.

Attachments

• PC250031.JPG
    PC250031.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 713
This photo may be better.

Attachments

• Good To Go.jpg
    Good To Go.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 220
Paravanes?

Are you talking about installing Paravanes like these on my DeFever 48?

Attachments

• P1020565 (Large).JPG
    P1020565 (Large).JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Hi Nomad, yes just like yours is what were hoping to fit. My concerns are the mounting to hull points. Could you please provide some infromation on how you did this to your vessel. My main problem is access to the hull behind the tanks and whether the rubbing strake and companion way cap are capable of supporting mounting hardware.
Cheers Richard.

photos

I have a gazillion photos that should explain the mounting, unfortunately they are ".tif" format and this site won;t allow tiff photos. Send me your email address and I will forward them directly.

John
NOMAD

I have a gazillion photos that should explain the mounting, unfortunately they are ".tif" format and this site won;t allow tiff photos. Send me your email address and I will forward them directly.

John
NOMAD

If you want I can convert them for you so you can put them on TF

Jw

I just sent you a private message

Thanks very much Gentlemen, John if needs be my email is: conroy4@dodo.com.au.

Update: I spoke to a Naval Architectual firm in Brisbane yesterday and have tentertive arrangements for them to draw up a set of plans for the stabilizers after next they visit Gladstone and inspect the boat.

Thanks fellas, look forward to seeing the photo's.

Posting Email Addresses on Thread

A timely reminder. Best not post your email address on thread. Send it by PM or invite others to PM it to you. Otherwise you invite spam, and you help attract spammers to the site.

test

Attachments

• JW_PARA_1.jpg
    JW_PARA_1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 216
Ya know, I'm not one to normally tell people how to go about their business...but you might want that thing in the water for it to be any way effective :socool:

now that is true but not mine helping Jwitzel with his photos

Thanks again Nomad and Siestakey for your help in providing info and photo's. As mentioned I'm particularly interested in the mounting points (including stays), so if its easier to email me directly, please do. My email address appears in an earlier post.

Cheers
Richard

Photos

Jwitzel photos

Attachments

• para1.jpg
    para1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 187
  • para2.jpg
    para2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 193
  • para3.jpg
    para3.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 193
  • para4.jpg
    para4.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 195
  • para5.jpg
    para5.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 191
  • para7.jpg
    para7.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 205
  • para8.jpg
    para8.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 191
  • para9.jpg
    para9.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 192
  • para10.jpg
    para10.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 197
  • para11.jpg
    para11.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 181
2nd set

few more

Attachments

• para12.jpg
    para12.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 179
  • para13.jpg
    para13.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 176
  • para14.jpg
    para14.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 169
  • para15.jpg
    para15.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 172
Thanks again for the photo's. They certainly provide food for thought. I will contact Nomad with a couple of specific questions regarding the framework.

If anyone has done this to an aft cab version I would love to hear from them also.

Thanks again.
Richard

Really cool job on the para vanes and the photos. Is there a drawing set? I think I would like to add those on my GB46 rather than try to stuff naiads into an already stuffed engine room. And I need to find a pacnorwest fabricator but I think I have some folks who can get me set up. Maybe save 30k too.

I wish I could help, but a previous owner installed these and I have no prints, sorry.

I will put some of my high tech reverse engineering skills to work on the great photos then! One question I have about the masts/posts on the flying bridge. Are there any stays between port and stbd ones or to the main mast?

Paravane stays

There are three stays from the paravane, one forward about 8 feet back from the pulpit and a second forward of the stern about a foot; these stabilize it fore and aft; there is also a pinned piston/tube arrangement that mechanically locks the paravane arm up or down in conjunction with a stay running from the top of the mast to the tip of the paravane arm. The main support mast also has a single stay running forward on the fly bridge to a forward point.

The port/starboard masts are linked together by the solar panel framework; I (think) I was able to attach a photo.

John

Attachments

• P1030511 (Large).JPG
    P1030511 (Large).JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 160
  • P1030513 (Large).JPG
    P1030513 (Large).JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 171
That is a big chunk of metal connecting those posts!!

True, but it supports 4 large solar panels and is solid enough for me to walk on when doing antenna maintenance.

If you are getting serious about taking this project on I would highly recommend spending a couple of hundred dollars and catching a flight down here and spending a hands-on day measuring, pondering and considering. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom