Flybridge drainage problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GordC

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Meander
Vessel Make
1981 Grand Mariner 40
Hello all. I a wondering if anyone has a similar flybridge setup and found a clever way to drain rain water. The flybridge deck is crowned in the middle, forward to aft as per normal. The boat sits slightly bow high so water drains aft. There are built in seats on either side of the bridge facing forward and aft. Rain water gets trapped ahead of the forward seat. Actually quite a bit more than in the picture. The winter cover is installed and I poured a cup of water on the deck so you could get the idea. You can see two drains that are pvc pipes that exit in the same spot on the aft seat. Even though the outboard drain is just slightly above deck level and not plugged, it never clears the last 1/4 inch of water. Besides making a slimy mess standing water on a teak is not a good thing.

Attachments

• IMGP3508.jpg
    IMGP3508.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 155
Greetings,
Mr. GC. I had exactly the same problem BUT without the teak decking. My drain was raised above deck level and left the same 1/4" of water trapped in the corner. I temporarily plugged the drain hole with masking tape and poured epoxy into the corner allowing it to reach the bottom edge of the temporarily taped hole. When the epoxy was cured, I removed the tape and sanded the new edge of the epoxy so it blended right into the hole. Now I realize that probably doesn't help you too much BUT if you could fashion a pie shaped wedge out of teak and glue it in place, it may allow drainage. The only other option would be to lower the drain hole.

I like RTF's idea, and you may want to consider a couple of screws to secure (counterset/ teak bungs) followed by caulking the edges. I would match the inside corners/ sides as best I could to the boats trim pieces for a snug fit.
I've had some success on these types of problems putting a sponge or cloth in the wet area to allow the water to "wick" itself and evaporate, and just leave it in place. Good luck!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I think I would pull the pvc out , drill to the next size that would get the edge to the bottom, and slide in a new piece of pvc or hose.

Thanks for your replies guys. Pulling the pvc out and replacing with a larger one is probably the permanent solution. The problem is, it is a 4 foot pipe that disappears between two fiberglass walls. I suppose it was installed before the seats were fiberglassed in place. I think I will try RTF's idea. I was also thinking of adding some ballast to the stern.

The obvious solution has apparently escaped notice.:facepalm:
Drill a hole in the deck. Install pot on floor downstairs to catch the drip. Encourage dog to drink from the pot. Simple.:rofl::hide:

"Drill a hole in the deck. Install pot on floor downstairs to catch the drip. Encourage dog to drink from the pot. "

That's genius! I had thought of the hole but it's the dog that makes the whole plan work.

My solution was easy, but my teak and leaking was so bad, I had very little choice.

A bit more work, but I just got rid of the uncomfortable, useless (except for storage) seats on the bridge. Replaced with 2 nice captain folders and 2 air chair loungers.

Now I can circle them when entertaining or fold them to open up a flat spot for a project or anything.

The best was spanning the bridge with glass and resin, running it an inch up the sides so theready is definitely no leaks or pudding anymore.

Last edited:
Hi this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl, we're marine Engineers. Obviously the halfwit engineer who designed my boat had his brothers working for him, I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Misery loves company!

I too, have puddling at the corners of my bridge seats. This indefensible moronic oversight was corrected under warranty by the factory who drilled holes clean through the bridge seats to the outside and installed tubes to drain the area. Aside from the fact they kept the holes a half inch off the floor and it still puddles, the water now runs out the sides of the bridge and puddles on the aft deck steps below which were "also designed" to trap water. Idiots!

In my case, I think I'll buy a dog and go with Bryans idea. Makes every bit as much sense as the original Designer/Engineers ideas.

Same issue on my boat. Kind of a dummy question but why aren't flybridges designed with a gentle slope to the center and a gentle slope aft so the water will run off naturally? Drain tubes seem to fill up with debris and bird poo.

Natural to have a crown section to provide strength to the roof/deck.

On my bridge I have 2 drain holse that flow bak to the storage area under the seats, then is channeled to a drain in the back. My problem before I got new canvas was the drain had a leak in it and it stained the inside back corner of my salon.

Bryan

I have some issues I am going to be needing your help with

That is definitely the ultimate solution psneeld. Unfortunately (for me) I am one of those weird dudes that likes the teak deck even with all the extra work and leaks. I just finished my three summer project of recaulking all the decks on the boat with TDS. Next year I can look forward to reinstalling all the faulty bungs. :banghead:

My ultimate solution get rid of the fly bridge. If the visibility from the pilot house is poor well I guess the naval architect goofed.

On a trunk cabin model the flying bridge ties it all together, just like any boat needs few certain features to make it desirable.

True though, it shouldn't be because the lower help stinks.

Back
Top Bottom