Never ever will i do this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter--- Yes, we are aware of those and looked at them awhile back. Here's the deal. I've worked in a high-tech industry long enough (film/video/music production) to have learned decades ago that right about the time you really need a piece of technology to do what it's supposed to do, it won't.

So we rejected the auto-inflate key float on those grounds. A piece of cork or a plastic float has zero operating function. It just IS. As such, unless it's been structurally damaged, it will float every time assuming the weight's not too much for it.

I'm a big fan of technology but preventing our keys from sinking to the bottom of the bay is not a task I want to trust to it. Yes, I know they work great in the demo tanks at the boat and sportsman's shows. But I regard these demos the same way I regard the folly that is sky-diving: why practice something that has to work the first time?:)

Many years ago we ended up with a bunch of toilet floats in our store. You know, those ball floats that are about 4" in diameter used in house toilets.

My Dad got some screw eyes and bead chain. He screwed the eye into the float, strung the bead chain through the eye and sold them as key floats! Damned if people didn't buy them. I bet they would have floated close to a pound of keys.

Peter--- Yes, we are aware of those and looked at them awhile back. Here's the deal. I've worked in a high-tech industry long enough (film/video/music production) to have learned decades ago that right about the time you really need a piece of technology to do what it's supposed to do, it won't…...But I regard these demos the same way I regard the folly that is sky-diving: why practice something that has to work the first time?:)

Marin, Marin, Marin…what are you saying. If you have so little faith in science and design, what are you doing trusting your very life (not keys), to those flying tubes of metal and carbon fibre you call Boeings..? Oh yee of little faith...

Many years ago we ended up with a bunch of toilet floats in our store. You know, those ball floats that are about 4" in diameter used in house toilets.

My Dad got some screw eyes and bead chain. He screwed the eye into the float, strung the bead chain through the eye and sold them as key floats! Damned if people didn't buy them. I bet they would have floated close to a pound of keys.

And you'd need man-bags to carry them in, as they would never go in a pocket. Hmmm...vision coming to me of Marin and his man-bag of keys..:rofl:

I use those small aluminum caribiners you see at hardware store checkouts. I dont go on or off the boat unless its clipped around a beltloop. Last year the brass chain on one of those foam floats silently came apart on a FL boat only barrier island beach dumping my CC keys into the sand. After about a half hour of searching, I saw the edge of the ignition key reflecting the sun. It was on edge in the sand barely peaking out. I replaced the bead chain with 1/8" nylon line with the knot melted and hot glued permanently.

Conrad, that small button near the trunk on any Keyless Go Mercedes still requires you to have the key on your person to open (if the car is locked.) So she still would have been out of luck! (I was a Mercedes-Benz dealer for 20 years.)

ERIC

Completely agree Eric. To clarify, my point was that there is no need to carry the key(s) in your hand with Keyless go. With it in your pocket or purse you can open any door or the trunk without exposing the key.

Was suggesting she wanted to push the door opener on the remote to open the trunk all the way before she got there. Do that all the time on our ML 350. Sometimes, it is hard to break old habits with some of the new tech in cars.

We can open the trunk without the remote button as long as the remote is on me.

Okay, gotcha. That was something I never or rarely did with our E 550. Would make sense if you have an armload. With some risk apparently!

We use old wine corks for all our boat keys and marina key .The poly corks work best

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 60
Marin, Marin, Marin…what are you saying. If you have so little faith in science and design, what are you doing trusting your very life (not keys), to those flying tubes of metal and carbon fibre you call Boeings..? Oh yee of little faith...

Well, partly because our planes cost many, many millions of dollars and are designed and built by people who know what they're doing and the planes have to meet a whole bunch of very rigid requirements, where the auto-inflate key floats are made by a guy in China in his living room.

And partly because a slip neighbor bought one not long ago, his keys fell in the water, and the auto-inflate float didn't do either one.

I have two sets of key rings, partly because I have some many danged keys, but also to carry spare keys for the house, work and vehicles. This has saved my fanny a bunch of times just from locking one set of keys in the truck. :facepalm:

When we travel, we split up keys and money to make sure the loss of one minimizes a chance for a bigger problem.

Later,
Dan

Am I the only one curious about the woman and why she made hast to get up the ramp?I guess I am a nosy sod.:lol:

I have seen her since she lost her keys. We did try with a magnet and boat hook. 8 t0 10 feet of water and very soft mud. Found nothing but junk and we were at it for over two hours. Very smart interest lady who made a mistake. Her husband was just rude to her and never thanked any one on the dock who tried to help. Her hurry was explained by sale in Christianna Mall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom