Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Darn, you disappeared going out off the Eastern bay. How am I supposed to stalk you on AIS. We left Norfolk at 0715 and hit Deltaville at 1400. The first four hours sucked. North winds on the nose. The 2-3 predicted chop was 3-5. Gotta love those Chesapeake short choppy waves. Weather is looking good for tomorrow. Fifty miles to Solomons and we finish up the season with over 1000 Kmiles in the last two months.
I am keeping my eyes peeled for you Daddyo. I KNOW YOUR OUT THERE.:D

Here is Fryedaze as we crossed south of Solomons. I'll have to work on making that a bit bigger.

ForumRunner_20141116_170351.jpg

Had to get a diver on the boat to get some line off the wheels. Quick haul in the am tomorrow to check zinks and some vibration I'm feeling.

The temps on Tuesday are 36 and 25!!! We have to get south. Anyone ever added turbos to a Lehman 120!!

i understand from exp.years ago that you have to put differnt valves in the head because the the stock ones dont hold up.they had them in the early Presients yrs ago 175 hp and they had to change the heads. idelivered a lot of them and we had problems i worked for Staten Island boat sales back then and they sold a lot of them.

Had the quick look on Marine Traffic. Looks like you're Dismal Swamp bound. Hope you'll be taking a few pictures. Please advise if the canal is clear or gunky. Happy Trails.

We just went south through the swamp two weeks ago. The only significant vegetationwas at the southern end of each lock. I enjoy the Dismal but this run, not somuch. We hit the 0830 Deep Creek lock opening with about 15 boats. They madetwo lock throughs and then opened the bridge. It ate up a lot of time. Then thegrinding of teeth began. Someone up in the front of the big conga line decidedto run at 3.5 -3.8 kts. I called out on the radio that IF we didn’t pick it upto 5 kts we would all be in the swamp for the night. They picked it up for 20minutes and then right back to slow slow. When we hit the visitor’s center avery wide catamaran was tied up. I think he was the culprit. There was no wayto pass him in the canal because of his beam. It was already 1530 so we didn’tget the opportunity to make the South Bridge opening and sit on the wall forthe night. Instead we tied up to the bridge fender wall.

The next morning we were first in line, but..... the stb engine failed tostart. I quickly vented the Cummins and got it started. Then I discovered asteady leak on the stop solenoid. We tied up to the south wall and allowedothers to pass. I went into NASCAR pit crew mode and had the solenoid changedin 20 minutes (I had just changed the port this spring). Luckily there were somany boats that we lock operator did two openings. I like the swamp. But, itwas pretty frustrating not being able to make it through in one day.

ForumRunner_20141120_141705.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141120_141737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141120_141737.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 46
Great pics keep them coming were exactly are you in the pics and now

Hopefully the vibration issue was not serious?

Rafe

Mark,
Great pics! Thank you for sharing. Sure beats the beige conference room I was in most of the day!

Desi dog liked the Dismal Swamp.

Attachments

• SDC12323.jpg
    SDC12323.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20130619_172018_256.jpg
    IMG_20130619_172018_256.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 109
The vibration was a prop issue. We put on the spares and sent the others to get balanced and scanned. Leaving the Dismal the AP was acting up so we went to the town docks in Elizabeth City instead of overnighting to Beaufort. The upper helm is leaking (25 degrees might have played a part). So now I need to find a hydraulics guy asap!

Lots of good contractors and yards in Beaufort around Core Creek. Jarrett Bay, Core Creek Marine to name a few. Not sure if limping there is an option for you.

your dock mate looks nice warming back up down here hurry up

Built in 1884. She looks better then the pictures.

ForumRunner_20141122_003057.jpg

ForumRunner_20141122_003112.jpg

1884! Wow... I hope I look that good when I'm 130.

Beautiful dawn though - and at least the water there is still liquid. We're not ice fishing yet, but just a matter of time.

Albemarle in low wind. A rare treat! Good to have a boring story. Happy Trails.

Back
Top Bottom