Marine Air winter warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
A timely reminder.....

IMPORTANT Reminder to all Customers

Reverse cycle heat pump marine air conditioners will not work once the water temperature is too cold.
Therefore, DO NOT operate the units at heating, cooling, auto or dehumidification modes once the water temperature is below 40 degree Fahrenheit (or 5 degree Celsius)
Operating the units at heating mode once the water temperature is below 40 F will cause irreparable damages. The water will freeze inside the tube, expand and crack the coil.
Additionally, once the ambient temperature ( air temperature) gets below 35 , The unit should not be operated at any mode (Cooling, heating, dehumidification or auto mode) . The air conditioning unit should be winterized immediately

WINTERIZING THE AIR MARINE AIR CONDITIONER
To avoid any freezing during winter, winterization is necessary. Do not leave sea water, fresh water or
air in the system . Fill antifreeze solution though the intake, strainer, pump and coil and water outlet
(entire system)

The admiral said she did not want to ahve to worry about winterizing so we had to move the boat south

I am south.....just not south enough :)

"Additionally, once the ambient temperature ( air temperature) gets below 35 , The unit should not be operated at any mode (Cooling, heating, dehumidification or auto mode) ."

I've used my reverse cycle units many times during a cold snap when the air temp was below 35. The water temp was above 40, so no problem with getting heat. What's the reason for this warning? How will it harm the system? I was obviously unaware of any risk.

"Additionally, once the ambient temperature ( air temperature) gets below 35 , The unit should not be operated at any mode (Cooling, heating, dehumidification or auto mode) ."

I've used my reverse cycle units many times during a cold snap when the air temp was below 35. The water temp was above 40, so no problem with getting heat. What's the reason for this warning? How will it harm the system? I was obviously unaware of any risk.

All I know is what they posted in the OP "The water will freeze inside the tube, expand and crack the coil"

Water temp below 40 deg

Fortunately I'm in an area where the water never gets much below 50 deg. Air temp can drop into the low twenties. Never had a problem getting heat. So unless you are in water approaching freezing temp, ice on the water no problem?

I believe the issue comes from removing heat from water that is near freezing.
We had the outflow of the ac units on our SeaRay freeze when the air and water temps were close to freezing.. had a nice icicle form prior to the unit clogging with ice.
You are removing heat from already cold water.. and the heat exchanger is very delicate and susceptible to freezing.

HOLLYWOOD

I've froze up my reverse cycle units several times each. I sure can see that freezing could damage coils, but luckily that has not happened yet. I better be more careful.

Dimer- In Houston the water temp should stay well above 40F, so you should be ok.

Also helps if you have PLENTY of water flow. If marginal, much easier to freeze.

So the article must mean that the risk of damage is when the water temp is below 40 AND the air temp is below 35. I read it as EITHER of those variables.

I run the heat/ac with air temps below 35 but water temp 40 or above and only change to the built in electric heaters when the water is below 40.

The admiral said she did not want to ahve to worry about winterizing so we had to move the boat south

We've been doing this for a few years now and it works very well. The boat seems to be happier without being winterized, we get an excuse to go on a trip (and back), and you have a cheap place to go to for a weekend getaway escaping winter.

What made it easier was finding someone we could trust to check on the boat and run systems and coordinate any maintenance we needed.

Harry

We've been doing this for a few years now and it works very well. The boat seems to be happier without being winterized, we get an excuse to go on a trip (and back), and you have a cheap place to go to for a weekend getaway escaping winter.

What made it easier was finding someone we could trust to check on the boat and run systems and coordinate any maintenance we needed.

Harry

That would sure give a great comfort level

That would sure give a great comfort level

If anyone wants to leave their boat in Charleston I definitely have someone we can recommend from our own experience.

Our reverse cycle is done for the season. Last weekend the water went from 44 on Saturday morning, to 39 the next day. We have now switched to electric heat when we are on the boat. Winterizing everything but the main engine this weekend. March won't come soon enough. At least the days will start getting longer next week!

The lower Columbia River is a constant 45f during the winter and can be as high as 75 during the summer. We run our units year round.

I run the heat/ac with air temps below 35 but water temp 40 or above and only change to the built in electric heaters when the water is below 40.

This is about the way I heat my boat, I have used the reverse cycle units down to 37f water temp without problem and if I remember right I was getting 104f air. This was about the point where using the electric heaters kept the boat more comfortable with less fan noise. When 1st getting back to the boat in March I bring a small kerosene heater (10,000 btu) this works very well to take the chill off, I run it for 30 min. to 1 hour, I turn off all heat when I leave the boat to go shopping or any other reason unless I'am just out on the dock for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom