Fresh Water System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priority

Vessel Name
Priority
Vessel Make
1981 Marine Trader 44'
My fresh water comes on in shorts bursts about evert 2 minutes. I have checked the whole system for leaks and can not find anything. Is my pump going bad? Any suggestions? Nigel

My fresh water comes on in shorts bursts about evert 2 minutes. I have checked the whole system for leaks and can not find anything. Is my pump going bad? Any suggestions? Nigel

Does it have an accumulator tank?

If you can't find any leaks, it may be the backflow preventer/nonreturn valve in the pump. Depending on the type of pump, you may be able to just replace the pump head (thinking of diaphram type pumps). It may also be cheaper to just replace the pump.

"If you can't find any leaks, it may be the backflow preventer/nonreturn valve in the pump."

That was my first thought as well. The valves in the pump allow water to leak back to the supply side of the pump, the pressure on the output side of the pump drops, the pressure switch turns the pump on, pressure builds, the pump shuts off, then the cycle repeats.

Lack of a working accumulator tank will cause the cycle to happen faster.

Open up the pump and take a look at the valves. If it isn't an easy fix, replace the pump.

There isn't an accumulator tank currently installed. I bought the boat in July and have been working on the various systems that needed attention. There is an accumulator tank the previous owner bought, but never installed. My plan was to replace the pump and install the tank at that time. I will also replace the inline back flow preventer at this time. Thanks for your inputs.

It could be that the lack of an accumulator tank damaged the pump. I'd install the tank and open the pump to check the valves. They should sell repair kits. You can rebuild and keep as spare.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will take them into account when troubleshooting my problem.

Sounds like an air leak in the supply line.

Turn the pump around , use a water supply pail and pressurize the supply line.

The air leak will now be a water leak, easier to see.

Or simply install the spare FW pump .

AS FW is critical a spare is always common sense.

Last edited:
Replace the output hose with a short piece of hose that is capped, now run the pump. If it still runs intermittently then it's the pump or up stream leak if it does not run then you have a downstream leak.

Guys thanks for all your input. After testing the system i ended up replacing the backflow preventer and solved the on/off problem. I am still going to replace the pump in the near future and add the accumulator tank, keeping the old pump as a backup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom